Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2015, 11:32 AM   #171 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Cracker - '90 Honda CRX HF
sarcasm?

I think you're being sarcastic as you know too much :P.
I plan on testing my mileage after work today. Already at 400 miles so we shall see how good Warm air intake is working on my miles per gallon!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-13-2015, 12:56 AM   #172 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Update:

Here's a pic with the final exhaust done with the interior side panels installed, before I had to trim to get the box to fit. I will need the access later after I install the coil overs so all in all it wasn't to bad?

This is a pic of the placement of the brake booster pump, N2O bottle and recycled solvent fuel cell.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pgfpro For This Useful Post:
jedi_sol (03-13-2015), Joggernot (03-13-2015)
Old 03-14-2015, 01:27 PM   #173 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

Team Turbocharged!

About the nitrous bottle? I'm going to do some testing with my ultra lean burn and a small amount of nitrous to increase flame speed? I didn't get to finish my last years experiments testing this.

I'm also going to do some more testing with the nitrous super cooling the spark plugs to help with detonation and attracting the heavy fuel fractions to the spark plug area.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:41 PM   #174 (permalink)
Growin a stash

You are a mad scientist, my friend. Can you fill me in on the point of the waste solvent? Does it boost the octane so you can run higher compression?

2024 Chevy Bolt

Previous:
2015 Nissan Leaf S, 164 mpge

Last edited by ME_Andy; 03-14-2015 at 01:46 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to ME_Andy For This Useful Post:
pgfpro (03-14-2015)
Old 03-14-2015, 02:02 PM   #175 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

Team Turbocharged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME_Andy View Post
You are a mad scientist, my friend. Can you feel me in on the point of the waste solvent? Does it boost the octane so you can run higher compression?
It does boost the octane level for when I'm running mild boost (30lbs or less).
It acts like a water/meth injection type system but injecting a high Toluene based solvent. At this level the pre-heating will be disabled.

The main use will be for FE. I've been doing some testing up to 30% recycle solvent to 70% pump regular gasoline. The cars normal fuel system is running pump gasoline only. The recycled solvent system is a stand alone system because I'm worried about the injector's clogging and also the fuel pump.
Plus the recycled solvent needs pre-heating because of the high Toluene base.
With out heating of the recycled solvent the engine runs rough from fuel fall out.

When I race the car I will remove the recycle solvent fuel cell and cap the lines to pass NHRA's fuel cell rule. I will also be running VP C16 race fuel only and no recycle solvent. This is when I will be running boost around 55psi.

The Following User Says Thank You to pgfpro For This Useful Post:
ME_Andy (03-14-2015)
Old 03-14-2015, 10:59 PM   #176 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

Team Turbocharged!

Update:

Well went to war with the car today.

Decided to install my coil overs. Instead of taking 2 hours it took four hours due to some rusted on bolts.
Drivers side rear strut lower mount decided to weld itself on plus i think its the factory strut.

So you say you won't come off... meet my friend the cut off wheel.lol
I cut it, then it cut me. Notice blood on the cardboard.

But it was worth it the long run.

The highest part on the roof measures 48".

Old 03-14-2015, 11:21 PM   #177 (permalink)
Not bad for a machine

Maechunbu - Retired - '00 Kia Sephia 1.8I4 16VDOHC
Last 3: 45.28 mpg (US)

Slasher - '96 Chevy Corsica 2.2L 3speedauto
Duct Tape Aero Crew
Team Chevy
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)
You have the number 1 car %over epa!!! Wooooooooooo!!!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to dirtydave For This Useful Post:
pgfpro (03-14-2015)
Old 03-15-2015, 04:37 AM   #178 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Black Bovine - '86 Toyota Supra N/A base
90 day: 16.86 mpg (US)

Grey Sandy - '03 Toyota Rav4 Sport Package
90 day: 21.3 mpg (US)

Panda - '03 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon GLS
90 day: 44.17 mpg (US)
holly poooo!

So, are you a regular racer? There's some stuff going on here that blows my mind!

I just glanced and didn't read; what's going on in that box? It looks like the exhaust will heat that intercooler that feeds a low pressure turbo, feeding the high pressure under the hood?

I don't have time to read but do you have a post where you explain what all is going on?

I'm used to the idea of cooling air down and throwing more fuel in to make power, and just learning about heating air up and reducing fuel for efficiency. Putting them in the SAME CAR makes me want to know more.... very cool stuff. Takes a special car to make this work, no doubt.

Part of me wanted a Mitsubishi AWD like this but I read about the complications of the drivetrain, parts starting to break at high HP, crank walk and blah blah blah so I just avoided them, since it would have been a first car. Ended up with my supra instead.

How do you feel yours will do with (regular?) drag runs from a reliability standpoint? Was it a drag car before becoming an eco car? This build is so unique I'm hugely curious. If the info is in the thread I'll just have to go read it lol.

Also, where'd you get all the touline? lol

I believe in efficiency with enjoyment. Trying to get economy without sacrificing comfort. It's working!
The Following User Says Thank You to figit090 For This Useful Post:
pgfpro (03-15-2015)
Old 03-15-2015, 12:06 PM   #179 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

Team Turbocharged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by figit090 View Post
holly poooo!

So, are you a regular racer? There's some stuff going on here that blows my mind!

I just glanced and didn't read; what's going on in that box? It looks like the exhaust will heat that intercooler that feeds a low pressure turbo, feeding the high pressure under the hood?

I don't have time to read but do you have a post where you explain what all is going on?

I'm used to the idea of cooling air down and throwing more fuel in to make power, and just learning about heating air up and reducing fuel for efficiency. Putting them in the SAME CAR makes me want to know more.... very cool stuff. Takes a special car to make this work, no doubt.

Part of me wanted a Mitsubishi AWD like this but I read about the complications of the drivetrain, parts starting to break at high HP, crank walk and blah blah blah so I just avoided them, since it would have been a first car. Ended up with my supra instead.

How do you feel yours will do with (regular?) drag runs from a reliability standpoint? Was it a drag car before becoming an eco car? This build is so unique I'm hugely curious. If the info is in the thread I'll just have to go read it lol.

Also, where'd you get all the touline? lol
I'm a drag racer and love to do some auto-x every now and then.

The aluminum box cover is set up with two compartments. The cold side and the the hot side. The cold side has a scoop under the car that feeds both compartments. Air comes in from the scoop then passes to the low pressure turbo inlet and air is also directed to go through the inter-cooler. Then the air after it passes through the inter-cooler goes into the hot side compartment to help cool the exhaust post turbo. Then it exits out through the floor into a low pressure area under the car.

Now when I'm in FE mode all this stays the same like I stated above but I also have a hot air system that gets its air from the high pressure turbos compressor out let. I'm using the 3/8" nipple that normally is used for boost reference. This line goes into the drivers compartment that I control with a ball valve. Then the line goes under the car to a copper wrap around the exhaust (I change this before it used to wrap around the exhaust manifold). It then goes to a tee that feeds into a stock rail that has four nozzles that are about three inches before the intake valve. This part of the system is going to be used only at freeway speed.

I have been into DSM's cars now for the last 10 years. They can be a pain in the ass to work on and break down on you, but if done correctly they can be a great car.

As for racing and reliability I'm fortune enough to live in the Pacific NW where some of the fastest DSM live. I have a close friend Trevor Holland that has two Talon's one is his drag car that runs 8.02@175mph and his wifes car that runs low 9's@ 140+. Then there's Jeff Bush, another friend that has a Talon that went into the 7's last year. All of these I mention are auto's transmission's and is one major factor to surviving the HP these engine's make. The other week link is the transfer case and Trevor makes a gear set and a case bracket that makes it bullet proof. So the performance parts are available. My last Talon went 11.5@120 with a stock turbo. Then I sold it to Trevor and he went 10.6 @130mph with a bigger turbo. This TalonI have now started out as a stock car that i started building. It was hit pretty hard in it's early life so i figured this would be a good car to cut up. I'm also going to add a cage to it sometime in the near future. the cage will be a custom one that is tuck up with good head clearance for safety when driving around the streets without a helmet on.

The Recycled Paint Solvent made up of mostly Toluene comes from my local Auto Body shops. I work for a Automotive Paint supplier and do outside sales so this helps me with getting the free recycled waste paint solvent. I have access to a paint recycler to do a second run if the solvent doesn't look good, but so far have not used it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pgfpro For This Useful Post:
deanznz (11-04-2023), figit090 (03-15-2015)
Old 03-15-2015, 12:35 PM   #180 (permalink)
Growin a stash

Quote:
The recycled solvent system is a stand alone system because I'm worried about the injector's clogging and also the fuel pump.
Does that mean you tapped holes for separate injectors for the solvent? That sounds like a crapload of work and extremely risky. But also awesome that you're getting fuel for free now.

2024 Chevy Bolt

Previous:
2015 Nissan Leaf S, 164 mpge
The Following User Says Thank You to ME_Andy For This Useful Post:
pgfpro (03-15-2015)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
bio fuel, lean burn, turbo compound