Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #421 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

My case, JBD mpguino

I found the autocad file for the box before buying to make sure it would all fit and then I was able to take measurements and add everything on the autocad file. Then I printed it out, laid it over the box perfectly, and simply cut it out. I knew, this way, it would all be perfectly aligned and guaranteed to fit. I used a 52mm or 2-1/16" hole saw for the 52mm gauges. There is an oil pressure gauge and a vacuum gauge. The other two holes were cut with a dremel (wish I had a mill, but could not locate find a friend that had one) and then then filed a little to square up. I had it all taped so the paint on the box would not get scratched.

Overall, I am very pleased with how it will turn out. It will mount in my 92 Vx underneath the stereo with an angle outward so it can easily be seen. It does not interfere with the shifter at all and will use existing screw holes in the dash.

The back of the box has a cover (the box is all aluminum). It will have a connector in either the side or back so that I can easily remove the box from the car if I want.

The lock switch/hole is there because I have manual doors and have all of the components to make them electric and needed a nice place to mount the switch and I did not want to hack up my door panels for one switch.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #422 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

quick question, is the V+ on the mpguino suppose to be ignition/accessory or constant 12v+? Thanks.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:42 AM   #423 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
It have to be a constant +12

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
Old 03-06-2013, 03:45 AM   #424 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by live4soccer7 View Post
I found the autocad file for the box before buying to make sure it would all fit and then I was able to take measurements and add everything on the autocad file. Then I printed it out, laid it over the box perfectly, and simply cut it out. I knew, this way, it would all be perfectly aligned and guaranteed to fit. I used a 52mm or 2-1/16" hole saw for the 52mm gauges. There is an oil pressure gauge and a vacuum gauge. The other two holes were cut with a dremel (wish I had a mill, but could not locate find a friend that had one) and then then filed a little to square up. I had it all taped so the paint on the box would not get scratched.

Overall, I am very pleased with how it will turn out. It will mount in my 92 Vx underneath the stereo with an angle outward so it can easily be seen. It does not interfere with the shifter at all and will use existing screw holes in the dash.

The back of the box has a cover (the box is all aluminum). It will have a connector in either the side or back so that I can easily remove the box from the car if I want.

The lock switch/hole is there because I have manual doors and have all of the components to make them electric and needed a nice place to mount the switch and I did not want to hack up my door panels for one switch.

Nice work! I like it

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
Old 03-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #425 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the info on the V+ and also thanks for the compliment on the box.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #426 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi all I am new here and just bought a 95 Geo Metro 4 cyl automatic with 30,000 original miles. I would like to start hypermiling. I bought new stainless hubcaps that cover the whole tire surface. I have over inflated my tires. Now I want to get some kind of gauge setup like the scan gauge. I understand that scan gauges do not work with a 95. Is this open gauge an alternative option? Does it show anything other than MPG? Is there something better that I can buy that is like a scan gauge for my metro? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:18 AM   #427 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Green frog - '97 Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDI 81kW
Diesel
90 day: 43.1 mpg (US)
Hi,
mpguino (opengauge) is the right gauge for you because your car does not have OBD2 port.
I am providing assembled mpguinos - check here MPGuino trip computer - MPGuino

What gauges you get? (units are in metric here, MPG version has gallons and miles)
* 2 different trips, can be cleared separately (current, tank)
* battery voltage, charging voltage when engine is running (V)
* engine revolutions (RPM)
* fuel consumption per hour (L/h)
* how far you can drive with remaining fuel (DTE - distance to empty)
* how many liters fuel is consumed in current/tank trip (L)
* instant mileage, current trip mileage (fuel consumption) (L/100km)
* current/tank trip distance (km)
* travel time in minutes (hh:mm)
* instant speed, trip average speed (km/h)
* current trip cost (fuel price can be set in settings)
* fuel consumed in idle (L)
* EOC (engine off coast) kilometers, "free kilometers" (km)
* mileage bargraph (every bar in graph is 2 min average fuel consumption - shorter bar means smaller consumption in metric mode)
* "400m DragRace", this screen measures quarter mile accelleration, trap speed, 100km/h accelleration in seconds, calculated horsepower.

Last edited by meelis11; 06-04-2013 at 03:36 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meelis11 For This Useful Post:
ace0107 (06-06-2013), MetroMPG (06-04-2013), Moogle (06-12-2015)
Old 06-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #428 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace0107 View Post
Hi all I am new here and just bought a 95 Geo Metro 4 cyl automatic with 30,000 original miles.
30k original miles? Wow. Please post an intro thread and tell us more about this little gem!
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 06-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #429 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the info on the MPGuino! I will be ordering a red screen one soon! If you have any info on hooking these up to a geo or if anyone has any experience / tips , it would be appreciated.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #430 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace0107 View Post
just bought a 95 Geo Metro 4 cyl automatic ... I would like to start hypermiling. I bought new stainless hubcaps that cover the whole tire surface. I have over inflated my tires.
I don't think any hypermiling tricks and mods will overcome the mpg lost to the auto tranny, but there probably aren't any manual trans Metros with only 30k on them. Good luck with your new car. There should be plenty of posts here from other Metro owners to help hook up your mpguino.

Reply  Post New Thread