Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2022, 07:17 PM   #7361 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
1984 Dodge Rampage
Does it have the five-speed?

I've got a Lexus electric axle because I thought the Open Revolt name was cool. But no way to get it to you. You're if you want to pay shipping? 98 pounds/68 horsepower.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-30-2022, 07:22 PM   #7362 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Oh, and a few things I'd do differently:

1) I like the Nextion touch screen displays. That could be mounted in the dash somewhere and provide active feedback and tuning capabilities on a rather permanent basis.

2) For more technical set-up, I'd probably use a laptop dashboard and communicate via USB. I've had about as much luck with USB-UART converters as many others on this forum -- not so great. So I go USB direct (lots of extra software, but it works!) This would allow certain features to be enabled or disabled, and limits set for those that are enabled. Setting up throttle range could be prompt-based, "Release Throttle and Click OK", "Depress Throttle to the Floor and Click OK" type stuff.

3) Several of the projects I've worked on utilize Adaptive Strategies. In other words, you have to set specific targets, but the variables that achieve those targets can automatically adapt to real-world conditions. I have developed a few projects where the goal was to minimize user input for safety and user experience.

4) I would want the BMS to be integral with the Drive Controller. To me it has to be integral. Charge level determines when to initiate the "Safe Operating Range" conditions. The only way to know that is with the BMS at least communicating with the Drive Controller. I would put it all on the same Controller PCB.

I have also been following some projects on OpenInverter.org where their focus is adapting junkyard parts for EV conversions. When Paul started this project, there simply weren't junk yard parts available. I'm interested in the possibility of being able to incorporate junkyard Toyota/Nissan/Lexus/BMW... parts in an EV conversion without having to retrofit the whole system. OpeInverter.org has open-source controllers to replace factory control boards that require a CAN signal from the ABS Module before activating the motor (among other things). I like that.

I'm still exploring, and don't want to commit to a project I can't even test yet. I have ideas, but don't know enough yet to make them all reality. Meanwhile, I intend to share other insights I've learned over the years regarding fuel economy on ICE applications. I was involved with the Progressive Automotive 100 MPGe X-Prize competition back in 2010 and we got an unofficial 87 MPG and an official 44.7 MPG (certified by Roush Labs) on a 2008 Hyundai Sonata with a window sticker of 32 MPG.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sonata1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	31642  
Old 01-30-2022, 07:26 PM   #7363 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Does it have the five-speed?
Ir originally came automatic. I bought it as totaled. It's a Virginia vehicle with absolutely no rust. It's mostly gutted, a new front clip welded on, and a bunch of Daytona pieces grafted in. It's in my garage under a bunch of junk right now, but here is what it basically looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HoodInstalled1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	31643   Click image for larger version

Name:	DashBrownRepaint1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	31644  
freebeard (01-30-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 07:54 PM   #7364 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

No Problems Mike!

The DC series motor is on its way out anyway - today they are cheap and plentiful - but the youngest is about 15 years old

If/when I do another car it will have the motor controller and battery from a crashed modern EV

No point in putting a lot of effort into something that is on the way out
The Following User Says Thank You to duncan2 For This Useful Post:
Piotrsko (02-01-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 08:39 PM   #7365 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
1) I like the Nextion touch screen displays. That could be mounted in the dash somewhere and provide active feedback and tuning capabilities on a rather permanent basis.

2) For more technical set-up, I'd probably use a laptop dashboard and communicate via USB.
For a variety of situational applications, I like the reTerminal. DDG:
Quote:
reTerminal - Embedded Linux with Raspberry Pi CM4 and 5 ...
https://www.seeedstudio.com › ReTerminal-with-CM4-p-4904.html
reTerminal is powered by a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 (CM4) which is a Quad-Core Cortex-A72 CPU running at 1.5GHz and a 5-inch IPS capacitive multi-touch screen with a resolution of 720 x 1280. It has a sufficient amount of RAM (4GB) to perform multitasking and also has a sufficient amount of eMMC storage (32GB) to install an operating system, enabling fast boot-up times and a smooth ...
Would that fill the need?

edit: I am rewatching their video, for under $200 and, in addition to the software-definable buttons and indicator lights, there is an acelerometer.

Last edited by freebeard; 01-30-2022 at 08:58 PM..
Old 01-30-2022, 08:46 PM   #7366 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Just did a quick search on reTerminal and the links all dealt with Linux & RaspberryPi. The Nextion is a simple UART device. It has its own IDE for screen creation. If the reTerminal works for you, great. Stick with it. I like the universal UART feature of the Nextion, because it works with PIC, Atmel, Arduino, RaspberryPi, St, TI, ..... Anything with UART.
freebeard (01-30-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 09:52 AM   #7367 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,104 Times in 974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan2 View Post
No Problems Mike!

The DC series motor is on its way out anyway - today they are cheap and plentiful - but the youngest is about 15 years old

If/when I do another car it will have the motor controller and battery from a crashed modern EV

No point in putting a lot of effort into something that is on the way out
Imagine what things would be like if we had access to Tesla stuff back when you built the Device and I was building the ranger.
duncan2 (02-02-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 01:04 PM   #7368 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sorry to revive a semi-old thread. I’m interested in building Paul and Sabrina’s AC controller for a project of mine to pair with the Nissan Leaf motor, but I don’t have the bill of materials. Is Paul still active?

Thank you in advance for any responses!

-Ryan
Old 07-21-2022, 02:14 PM   #7369 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,104 Times in 974 Posts
He had a huge life misfortune, pre covid and seems to fallen off the face of the earth. Hopefully your google fu is better than mine.
Old 07-21-2022, 02:29 PM   #7370 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
He had a huge life misfortune, pre covid and seems to fallen off the face of the earth. Hopefully your google fu is better than mine.
That’s a shame, he seems to be extremely smart and helpful in the DIY EV field. Hopefully he’s doing okay.

Any ideas for a diy ac motor controller for peaks of 300-400kw?

Reply  Post New Thread