Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #961 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
Meh, you don't really need floating point, but certainly a 32-bit processor would be nice. I play with a Freescale Coldfire every day... no floating point and I do things like calibrating scales and accelerometers.

You'll see major improvements by doubling to 16MHz... 8-bit, 8MHz cpus have been around longer than I've been alive.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #962 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I've got a couple i8008's if you need them! hahahaha! what was that....'72? and by god, when we got to the z80 in '76, we were flyin! 20 Mhz! Man o Man.... (I probably have a couple of those laying around too!)

Woooo Hoooo!

Sorry! had to comment!

Wherewolf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L_Intel-D8008.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	3271   Click image for larger version

Name:	S_ROHM-BU18400A-PS.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	3272  
Old 04-17-2009, 02:29 PM   #963 (permalink)
EV N00b

Send a message via AIM to PainBank Send a message via MSN to PainBank Send a message via Yahoo to PainBank
Is there a project page covering the 97 pages of forum posts? I am interested in this, but I would prefer to not read the whole thread at least to get started.

Thanks.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #964 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
z80 was in the original Nintendo Entertainment System It could handle this motor controller!

PainBank... brew some coffee and start at page one. See you in a few days. Alternatively, you can up the post count per page so there are only 30 pages haha...
Old 04-17-2009, 03:02 PM   #965 (permalink)
faster Fiero

Sign me up!

Hi Guys, I’m new here and WOW, I wish I would have known about these forums 2 years ago when I converted my Fiero to electric!!!!! I just finished reading Paul and Ben’s build threads along with this one (about a week’s worth of reading) and I can’t thank you guys enough for all the info and humor. Best reading I’ve had in years! It was so fun seeing you guys go through the same problems I did.

This OC controller is just what I’ve been looking for. I only spent $2500 on my whole conversion (and that included $1200 for a new set of batteries, 16 6V golf cart) and I couldn’t see spending another $1500 for a controller. I went the cheapo route and made my own resistive/voltage control. It works OK but I am wearing out the contactors and it’s kinda complicated to drive, especially with two motors connected with #35 roller chain (Don’t do this, it stretches the chain, bends the teeth on the sprockets and makes lots of noise). Anyway, I just pulled out the motors last weekend and redid the motor mounting with just one motor (that’s all you need as it would do over 70mph with just one motor at 96 Volts, and the batteries don’t like two motors). Since my ice motor had a hole in one cylinder, I sawed off the back 1 ½ inches of the block and made my adapter out of that. I sawed off the clutch end of the crankshaft and had a hole and keyway machined in it to match my motor. Cheap, and it works.

I figured now was the time to go to a “real” controller. I pretty much understand the power end, but when you get into the programming part… well let’s just say I have a lot of learnin’ to do. When I graduated from SDSU (South Dakota State University) the only computer they had on campus was as big as my bathroom and you had to use some kind of punch cards to talk to it. Well it was South Dakota. Do you know what you have when you have two pigs and a pickup that won’t start?

That’s the South Dakota State Fair!!! Just kidding, I grew up in SD and the state fair was really great. That’s where I first got interested in alt. fuels. They had prototype ethanol fuel plant demos there clear back in the 70s.

Anyway, thanks Wherewolf for setting up the survey! (also glad to see the monkey gone, but my wife will yell at you if she sees you running with scissors, maybe a fork would be better) I’m in with both feet and by the way Paul how are we doing on adopting the new mosfets? I can help, but will have to send $ via snail mail.

Thanks again to all you fellow ev’ers!

Hondo
Old 04-17-2009, 07:56 PM   #966 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Citicar Donor Vehicle

Seems like an automatic would be fine if you welded out the torque converter.

I just found and purchased a 1974 Citi car today (500.00) with only 3500 miles on it. I also got 4 of Interstate's biggest deep cycle batts on my employer's discount (30% off, saved 120.00). Will buy more batts when it is at my home.

This controller project was the inspiration to finally jump in with all ten toes. Thanks all y'all for putting in so much knowledge.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:44 PM   #967 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PainBank View Post
Is there a project page covering the 97 pages of forum posts? I am interested in this, but I would prefer to not read the whole thread at least to get started.

Thanks.
My wife has been talking to me about that. Once I stop throwing up (oops... too much info...) I'll take detailed photos and measurements of the process for making the power section. We are also setting up a website where all the info will reside. Parts lists, where to buy (point and click!), directions, etc.......

The control section is ALMOST done for version 2. MUCH improved!!! The pros are going to do the PCB layout design of the control section for me for free! What's that all about! Heck ya dude! Then I just need to find a nice cheap PCB fab place like maybe the one that my friend had found earlier to get those things made! Then if matt really wants to give himself cancer from all that solder smoke, who am I to stop him! Each power section isn't super quick, though. The etching looks easy enough, but actually is pretty annoying. My main work time is from 3-5pm each day (while my son is taking a nap), so 10-15 power sections will take a fair chunk of time. Maybe I could just do the etching, and the copper heat spreader could be bought and drilled. That thing is a pain in the bottom. haha. Wherewolf is checking on that and bus bar prices. Roger has a machine that can cut copper plate into bus bars, which may be cheaper.

I think I only want a single beta test for a little while (what's a reasonable amount of time???) before 15 people all get a controller that fails the exact same way! That would suck!
Old 04-17-2009, 09:02 PM   #968 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Arrow Repost of the survey link

Edit: This is just a repost of the survey link for those that didn't see it before. Responses have been for the most part very positive! Again, this is for those that are interested in possibly purchasing parts as a group for the best discounts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
I've put together a quick survey (to keep the traffic off the forum) to start compiling information together on how many folks are interested in a bulk/group purchase. Please take a moment to complete the survey - any/all information will be only be used for the purpose stated and will not be shared with ANYONE outside the group. You have my word on that - this is strictly to get an idea of how many parts we can buy at a time for the best price. (when the time comes )

Click Here for the ReVolt Survey!

Wherewolf
Old 04-17-2009, 09:53 PM   #969 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtian999 View Post
This controller project was the inspiration to finally jump in with all ten toes. Thanks all y'all for putting in so much knowledge.
Cool - I think it's great to read stuff like that. A Citicar is a good runabout EV - I probably would have bought one if there were many in Canada.

Also "all y'all" isn't something I hear often around here, and that's cool too.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 04-18-2009, 01:43 PM   #970 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yeah I think maybe some rigorous testing may be in order before the bulk purchase. I am really proud of you guys, you are restoring my faith in humanity.