Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2009, 08:53 AM   #221 (permalink)
#1 Insight Parts Seller

I have to violently disagree with the person above me.
Ben, you're swapping a ****ing Insight engine into a CRX. Very shortly you'll have one of the most fuel efficient cars on these forums. Also, you keep buying up my damn battery packs and you are extremely aggressive in finding good deals. The fact is you have a project going on now, and you'll have more in the future! You've already invested in future projects whether you like it or not.
Think about it..
LAST YEAR:
Your stock CRX wasn't fuel efficient enough.. you swapped in the best engine within financial reason--a VX engine.
NOW:
A VX engine in a CRX wasn't good enough. You decided to go with the best thing--an Insight engine--despite the fact that it realistically isn't really more fuel efficient then a VX engine.
PLANNED:
Insight engine isn't good enough.. So you're going to go MIMA.
FUTURE:
YOU BOUGHT A 300 V FORD ESCAPE BATTERY PACK!

Clearly, you are more ambitious than most. Thus you don't have to play by the same rules as most. You have balls and you have ideas. You do not have time though.

So I ask you.. why would you not buy a welder NOW?! Furthermore, once you have one, why would you hesitate before using it? Buy one ASAP and just USE it. Don't research how to do it safely, don't take classes, and definitely, definitely don't pay for someone to weld that **** for you.

You need to learn how to weld, and I could not think of a better time to learn then right now. BUY A WELDER AND USE IT! You couldn't make a better investment in your project, this forums future, or your future.

If you don't have the ****ing money, message me and I'll give you the money.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fabio For This Useful Post:
Christ (09-06-2009)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-06-2009, 09:25 AM   #222 (permalink)
one of thOOOse people

twitchy - '98 honda civic dx + sir + ls
90 day: 30.2 mpg (US)

Norman - '14 Ford E-350 EXT
90 day: 16.18 mpg (US)

Silver - '12 VW Golf Base
90 day: 26.1 mpg (US)

Sparta - '19 Honda CB300R
90 day: 84.07 mpg (US)
Wow! Fabio, switch to decaf and then re-read my post! "I don't want to discourage you"!!!!
I simply meant that learning to weld is not something to do via a web forum, take a class and get the advice and by all means learn to weld. what better project than this one!
Please keep the violence out of this forum.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:35 AM   #223 (permalink)
#1 Insight Parts Seller

Nah Hamster man..

He doesn't need to take welding classes. He can handle the learning curve as he goes. Welding is not a big deal; Ben's not going to hurt himself.

In fact, you can bypass the classes too if you have balls. It's just important to me that Ben doesn't make the wrong decision here.

There's always the point where the reward outweighs the risk. THIS IS ONE OF THOSE SITUATIONS!

Anyways, there is a long standing rumor that seems to persist that welding is comparable to playing with fire. This is mostly fueled because of the existence of vocational schools offering welding certifications. These vocational schools were largely created to separate problem kids with no intention of being a part of higher education from college bound kids. Welding, being a brainless, simple, yet much needed "skill", quickly became a staple class.
Thus the rumor persists that you have to endure years of training to safely weld.
This is total BS.
And although this sounds dramatic, this rumor has impeded many otherwise motivated individuals from chasing their dream projects. A welder is no more dangerous then a scissor jack or a hammer.

I feel slightly guilty for attempting to make an example out of you, but this concept comes up in every project thread and it's about time someone who refused to switch to decaf *****ed about it.

You gotta buy a welder Ben.

Last edited by Fabio; 09-06-2009 at 09:48 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Fabio For This Useful Post:
Christ (09-06-2009)
Old 09-06-2009, 12:03 PM   #224 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I have to agree with Fabio.

Ben, you've already taken alot of steps forward, and aside from learning to safely weld, which I absolutely must endorse, learning to weld just isn't really that much of a life-changing thing.

I do a little bit here and there, and while I'm certainly no master, I've been welding with some varied capability since I was something like 12. I mean, come on. What part of this is dangerous?

Have you ever smacked your thumb with a welder? Ever sliced a finger off with one? No! Of course, you've never burned yourself with a hammer, and never shocked yourself with a roofing knife, either. It's just one of those things where if you recognize the risk, you're safer than most already.

Ben -

The front cross member, I like to call a "pet" project, because it doesn't save THAT much weight, but it does bring you closer to a 50/50 weight distro by a few lbs. Since the engine combo you have doesn't mount to the front, you'll actually save another 1 lb or so on the mounting plate that you won't need. Aside from that little bit of weight savings, it's a nice handling feature, once you figure out the tunability of it. I wouldn't go right out and just do it, as it were, but if you find that you've got spare time after the swap, and nothing better to do, it only takes a few hours to make and install, and it does help with some things, like getting rid of yet another set of squishy rubber bushing joints.

The setup also replaces the radius rods with a setup that uses spherical rod ends, which have a greater range of motion and allow for a much freer travel in the front suspension, without allowing the sloppy motion that bushings allow for.

And, I think I mentioned this before, but if you get flux wire, you can save some money by not getting the gas setup for your MIG, if that's the route you go.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #225 (permalink)

Also - if you mess up welding a little bit, don't get discouraged... there are always two more mounts that are designed to hold up the weight in case one fails.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #226 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
I do think the engine needs to move about an inch toward the driverside. The reason I didn't do it is because it would've taken a while to fix the messed up axel and I didn't have time. Also, the 92-00 radiator fits by notching out the bottom of the radiator support. I'd rather not expend that effort but a cheap solution is a cheap solution.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #227 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Team Honda
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Don't worry, I'll be welding. I already have experience with other kinds of heat, flame, metal, etc, so I'm not worried that welding is any different. Please calm down brent, I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it, no need to go off the handle.

Also, I'm a little unsure how the gas/non-gas setups go for MIG, but I imagine some one will tell me one of these days.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #228 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
When I was researching welders, I found HarborFreight.com had better prices than the store itself, especially among welding accessories.

I decided not to buy a welder, so I can't make recommendations.

I can measure the gauge mounting angles after the sun comes up.
Thanks for the help! The insight cluster ended up being bigger than I expected so mounting it may be a problem
Old 09-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #229 (permalink)

Welder has to be previously setup to use for gas, if you want to use gas. If you ever want it for an option, get one that's already set up for it.

Welders that are already set up for it can still use flux-impregnated wire, so there's no need to have argon on hand all the time.

Argon is just there as a "shielding" gas, to prevent oxidation of the weld as the metal heats up. Argon displaces the "air" in the area of the super-heated metal, so it can't mix with the molten steel/whatever and cause more slag/a weak weld.

Flux helps to do the same thing, but each has a place where it is ideal. I don't use argon because my Father's MIG isn't setup for it, and I wouldn't buy it anyway, because I don't do too much structural welding. If I was, I'd be using a stick/arc welder anyway.

The hardest thing about MIG welding is learning to set the wire speed/current correctly. It's a fine art that you'll master with time, and patience, not reading and questioning.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #230 (permalink)

Also, you'll need some square magnets, and angle finder. You'll figure it out.

Reply  Post New Thread