Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2014, 11:24 PM   #71 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
way oversized and starts on gasoline, and runs mainly on used motor and machine oil, with no attempt at computerized emissions. I don't mind grabbing some popcorn and watching, but this really needs to be somewhere else besides "Fossil fuel free".

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #72 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

If he gets the system to work, he could run it on any heavy oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
way oversized and starts on gasoline, and runs mainly on used motor and machine oil, with no attempt at computerized emissions. I don't mind grabbing some popcorn and watching, but this really needs to be somewhere else besides "Fossil fuel free".
Large amounts of bio oils ( vegetable and animal based ) are available to burn in some municipalities. So, there is some value in the idea. However, I do agree this should be under some other topical heading.

At an early point in automotive development, the car engines were often large (8 L) and slow turning ( idle of 300 rpm and operating maximum of about 1800 rpm ). Manually adjusted fuel mixtures and ignition timing were the norm. But, with the advent of ignition advances and improved carburetion, smaller, higher reving engines became the path to follow. However, even the very large 13 L engines could return 20 mpg - a mileage almost the same as the much smaller model T.

Large displacement, low revolving engines do have efficiency advantages over smaller higher spinning engines. At least as far as specific power.

Last edited by RustyLugNut; 03-28-2014 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: Additional discussion.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:13 PM   #73 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
Large displacement, low revolving engines do have efficiency advantages over smaller higher spinning engines. At least as far as specific power.
But that kind of muddies the water. If you are building a train or a ship, then fine, but for personal transportation folks are comfortably getting to and from work on 1/4 liter or less, with emissions control even.

A 1.6l tdi can make 198 g/kwh, to get a %20 improvement in bsfc you have to go to something that has this for a crankshaft, so lets not ignore bsfc vs weight (or minim power required).

Last edited by P-hack; 03-28-2014 at 04:25 PM..
Old 03-28-2014, 05:14 PM   #74 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Yep, bore is 3 feet stoke is 9 feet, runs constantly at an earth shaking 92 RPM. Daily burns 285 tons of heavy bunker fuel. Peak efficiency 55%. Best car engine was a 5 cyl Audi diesel at I think 43%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_s...el_consumption

regards
Mech
Old 03-28-2014, 11:00 PM   #75 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

i didnt mean to step on toes when i posted here, i just hope it doesnt wind up in the "corral" but if mods want to move it thats ok..

as far as weight goes im 6'5" 230 lbs and i can pick up and move around the fully assembled short block as i did building it on my work bench assembling, checking bearing clearance, driving cam bearings in, pressing pistons+rods in, setting timing chain, ect.. then lifting and holding it up while someone threaded the "all thread" that i cut with grade 8 nuts to the engine stand so i could do heads and top end/ oil pan/ valve covers. its really not that heavy, but i dont feel like picking it up with the heads and intake on it (another 170lbs ishh) lol after i build the long block ill usually use the tractor do all the lifting (and put the transmission + transfer case on, which i can pick up aswell). so as far as the rotational assembly really being THAT BIG i mean it weighs nothing compared to the car, and with the low gear 4x4 + 1st gear i can tie it to a tree and idling it just digs a hole. i destroyed the rear end dumping the clutch doing burn outs, ive hit 110mph with this configuration on i40 and i35, its not just a sluggish land yacht, it could easily kill you if you disrespect it, sitting with 9" of lift and 37's isnt the biggest/fastest out there but it is fun to drive and works well for where and how fast i ask it to go.

i like the 460 alot better than the 351 it had, and the 5 speed/vs c6 is great if your not stuck in traffic, id rather be over axled than under if im going to try and have any fun offroad besides idling around, and the run flats are great peace of mind ontop of my fullsize runflat spare. it is an offroad vehicle that i will admit can blow through gas if you want, but thats what im really trying to fix, if it runs practically for free i dont care about mpg. its not my daily driver, its my money pit right now and when its done hopefully it can run on junk so i can reduce operating costs and start the next project.

ps:

wheels are hummer MAG runflats w 37x12.5 r16.5s, axles are 4.10 locked rear, sterling + dana 60 (manual hubs), bronco driveshsafts, the Tcase is BW 1356, transmission is a zf5speed, 460 efi heads and top end with carb retrofitted for testing( i could go back to efi if i wanted), 2.5" true duals with no CAT + flowmaster 40's side dumped.

Last edited by dustyfirewalker; 03-28-2014 at 11:34 PM..
Old 03-29-2014, 12:15 PM   #76 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You have a knack for jumping to the extremes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
But that kind of muddies the water. If you are building a train or a ship, then fine, but for personal transportation folks are comfortably getting to and from work on 1/4 liter or less, with emissions control even.

A 1.6l tdi can make 198 g/kwh, to get a %20 improvement in bsfc you have to go to something that has this for a crankshaft, so lets not ignore bsfc vs weight (or minim power required).
Engine design is based on a myriad of choices and variables. Based on your specific need, designing an engine that runs as slow as possible results in more efficiency than one that is running faster. A few off the top of the head reasons is friction and engine drag. Also, combustion event is longer along with increased volumetric efficiency. If the cylinder is large enough, heat loss can be minimized and the results are better BSFC. Does the engine HAVE to be a colossal structure - of course not! Diesel engines are often also built for length of service as well as power production. Diesel aero engines are on the opposite end of the power/weight spectrum. Your mentioned VW engine is somewhere in the middle. Their service life also vary accordingly. But, design for a specific power output and the larger slower revolving engine will be more efficient. However, the need for flexibility to provide range in a road going application results in compromise.

Back to Firewalker's engine, since it is one already in his vehicle - it's large size can be an advantage assuming the other variables fall into place. It is almost an ideal test engine for what he is trying to do with combusting heavy oils.
The Following User Says Thank You to RustyLugNut For This Useful Post:
dustyfirewalker (03-30-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 05:17 PM   #77 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
The funny part is, even though the crank and some other bits on the colossal engines are moving slow, the pistons are going just as fast as on wee little screaming engines. Since the ring pack is one of the- if not the- biggest sources of internal friction, the efficiency advantage of the colossus isn't from that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
P-hack (03-30-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 01:32 AM   #78 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,453 Posts
Try ethanol (which can be sourced from any vegetable source of starch or cellulose) for the start-up and you'll go fossil fuel-free.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:04 PM   #79 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

well, after a long friday and saturday of working on a few things on the truck, i figured i would go and put some pics on photobucket for you guys to see where im at.

i work slow at times but i sure do love making sure everything is just perfect!

my wiring is a little sloppy, but when the engine systems have been figured out everything will get redone into a harness

[IMG][/IMG]

^.020 piston for 460

[IMG][/IMG]

i love getting all new parts and putting them together

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

heads milled, with valve job, and i pocket ported and blended bowls

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

^^ swagelok stainless steel 316 fuel system. no pump in the tank so if it goes out i dont have to drop the tank, 3/8th stainless steel fuel line to and from tank

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

rebuilt transmission^^ zf 5 speed

[IMG][/IMG]

runflats^^ 37x12.5r16.5

and now that your up to speed on the truck and engine, heres what im working with now..

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

when i get more of the "carb spacer, and carb hat fabricated i will post pics
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dustyfirewalker For This Useful Post:
mikeyjd (05-18-2014), pgfpro (05-03-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 01:49 AM   #80 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

pics

[IMG][/IMG]

so the above pics show the carb hat set up for taking air that must go near the exhaust manifold to get hot before being filtered by a 50 micron SS 316 screen and then going into the carb

i also show the sight glass im going to have on the carb spacer to see whats going on in the intake

and ive cut out both upper and lower, along with air filter screens. i might try to test without steam and if i drive down the road and notice some missing and pinging ill think about steam. im so anxious to get this experiment started!

marcello videos to stress intake fire

^^^ pause this video at time t= 3:51 , you can see the "opaque" nut at the end of his vaporizer (just to the right of the brass valve) where in the video before this one he shows a close up of the nut where the fuel and air mixture is igniting randomly, (you can see the flame "flicker" through the opaque nut) this shows that you can get the intake charge of fuel and air so hot it actually ignites in your intake with out really affecting engine performance. i believe this is necessary to run HEAVY oils, in a rapid moving intake stream they dont spend much time hanging around in the intake, its a volume flow rate and distance problem to find the dwell time, but if it doesnt spend much time it wont burn very long and hopefully just enough to "crack the oil" or partially oxidize into smoke, if the oil can be partially combusted or smoked in the intake its going to burn completely in the cylinder of a 4 stroke without tailpipe smoke. just from intensely heating the intake charge the fuels 100% gasoline, 100% ethanol, 100% kerosene, and 100% diesel should all run the engine, and any mixture of those above should be able to run the engine. at some ratio of heavier oils ( used solvent, ATF, WMO, WVO, hydraulic oil, ect) to (gasoline/ethanol/kerosene/diesel) im guessing there will be a limit of around 80-90% but it would be amazing to hit 100% heavy waste oils as fuel and still be able to cruise down the highway/drive the vehicle.

so *IF* i can hit 100% heavy oils, and hit 100% of the lighter 4 fuels, i will call this a complete success. this would mean i can pour just about any filtered oil or fuel into my gas tank at any ratio. i should be able to find plenty of some or all of the waste products i intend to use for fuel and be able to get them for free, and therefore be able to operate a large, useful, fun truck for free!

additional resources

*i just really like these videos, maybe you will too*

the story of gasoline

riding the film (a bit outdated but close enough)

chemistry of fire (THIS IS AN AWESOME VIDEO)

gasoline for everybody

gas engines running on diesel/kerosene/ethanol

woodgas videos (P hack, i found the one where wayne suggests using roadkill, it makes me laugh every time)

ADDITIONAL HELPFUL LINKS ON RUNNING OTHER FUELS IN GAS ENGINES

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...g-23754-2.html

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...car-12518.html

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-11163-3.html

Reply  Post New Thread