Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2015, 11:30 AM   #121 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Can I get a link to the supercharger you used?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-18-2015, 08:52 PM   #122 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
Here is another video of a small engine in a small car that is turbocharged. If anyone was wondering if you could get good performance out of a small engine then check out how this car moves Granted this is not a diesel engine but if done correctly a small diesel can be boosted safely and have the performance of a much larger engine due to there beefy construction. The trick is to not only add air but also fuel! In my case with the electric supercharger the extra fuel comes from the Lithium batteries as well as the water/meth injection system.
LOL!!!! GreenHornet, If you get the Z482 to wind up like the engine in that video then you are the man - or - your connecting rods will probably launch and end up here in NY! Great video anyway!
~CrazyJerry
Old 09-18-2015, 09:22 PM   #123 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Wow. Just... wow.

You are adding all that electric equipment in the hopes of extracting 20+ HP from the diesel. The electric equipment ALONE can supply nearly 20 HP. If you were to hook up the electric motor as a parallel hybrid instead of a supercharger you could have the 14? HP from the diesel + 19 HP electric = 33 HP vs 20+.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:59 PM   #124 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Can I get a link to the supercharger you used?
The Supercharger itself is from a Mazda Millennia you can google that and get more info about it specifically. But to give you a little starting info on it this Supercharger is the Lysholm-type supercharger in the Eunos 800M (aka Mazda Millennia). These are around 75% efficient which puts you right up there with current turbo chargers. These are an extremely good choice for running anything upwards of say 18psi anything over 18psi and you will get more of an advantage out of a turbo charger.

The Lysholm-type supercharger is manufactured by IHI. The twin-screw compressors feature a Teflon coating and are made from lightweight alloy. To my knowledge there are four common sizes that displace 750cc, 1000cc, 1500cc and 1840cc per revolution. The one I used specifically is the 1000cc version. The 800M supercharger measures approximately 40cm long, 17.5cm wide and 15cm tall.

I hope this helps you out a little bit.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:02 AM   #125 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by changzuki View Post
LOL!!!! GreenHornet, If you get the Z482 to wind up like the engine in that video then you are the man - or - your connecting rods will probably launch and end up here in NY! Great video anyway!
~CrazyJerry
hehehehehe well I do intend to push this little guy to see what is possible I guess maybe it would be appropriate to ask now if you have a spare couch I can crash on while I am trying to find my connecting rods some where upstate lol
Old 09-19-2015, 01:36 AM   #126 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Wow. Just... wow.

You are adding all that electric equipment in the hopes of extracting 20+ HP from the diesel. The electric equipment ALONE can supply nearly 20 HP. If you were to hook up the electric motor as a parallel hybrid instead of a supercharger you could have the 14? HP from the diesel + 19 HP electric = 33 HP vs 20+.
Oh Frank it is always a pleasure

So you came up with the same math I did I guess that is good LOL :-)

This setup I have was built with the ability to make changes as needed so there is a lot of tweakability so to speak built into it. So for instance if I find that 10psi of boost is more than enough for my needs I can swap out the clutch on the E-motor and now I have the ability to use it now also as a Starter motor. Which means that I can use it to power the car as a parallel hybrid like you eluded to in your comment. This motor is large enough that it can power the Centurion on its own. I can also swap out this motor for the Brushless model I have that is much more powerful yet virtually the same size and weight. The brushless model I have peaks out at 30kw or 40hp and upwards of 80 ft/lbs of torque. With some tweaks to the motor you can get them to over 50hp.

Now the reason for the Supercharger is simply to give the diesel more power and greater efficiency over the entire power band while the diesel is in operation. Also it is to test out new potentials and to experiment. I can tell you that this setup will make one serious Genset which in turn could be used for my 3 wheel project as a series hybrid. So there were other intentions as well for building this Electric Supercharger. However the hybrid specifically the parallel setup was what I always had in mind for the Centurion and this setup will allow for it very nicely.

If you want to achieve extreme MPG from and ICE equipped vehicle say upwards of 300mpg than I believe part of your strategy needs to involve a tiny diesel electric hybrid pulse and glide strategy. A small Kubota 2 cylinder parallel hybrid fits into this strategy perfectly. You achieve the greatest MPG gains while the ICE fuel is cut to the engine.

GH
Old 02-23-2016, 03:04 AM   #127 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts

Any updates...???

>
Old 02-29-2016, 08:54 AM   #128 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hey Redneck,

Thanks for checking in.

I have had the Centurion Since mid June and been basically just purchasing parts. What I would like to do this year is completely strip the frame apart and get it sandblasted and painted. Then start rebuilding it from the ground up replacing all hardware, bushings, shocks, springs etc.. The body paint selection will have a matte black finish with Kubota Orange with white for trim. The frame I will most likely paint white so I can easily spot leaks in the future! I will also be painting the engine orange and use black piping. I have also found some really sweet Centurion decals I am going to use for Eco-Bling

For quite a few months I was really considering turning it into a 3 wheeler but backed out of that thought I think CJ will be happy about this I think the changes and upgrades I will be making to this Centurion is enough and its better to just do a 3 wheeler from scratch anyhow.

The other day I finally heard back from a company who can make me a custom carbon fiber drive shaft so that was really good news. It took me a while to find somebody that would and could do it at a price that was worth it. This will be the next big purchase for team Centurion

I also was able to hunt down a supplier for aluminum rear differentials which will save a pretty good amount of weight. I have also been playing with my own custom composite swing spring design. When I am done I hope this will help better tame the jacking effect. This will definitely help lighten the load substantially in the back if nothing else. I also figured out the clutch and flywheel setup for the 2 cylinder this took a little brain power lol :-) I also found a supplier for the continental 125/80 R 13 eCONTACT 65M tires to fit my 13 X 3.5 wheels. These tires are Low Rolling resistance and really light weight they should help a little bit with MPG.

So this year I will focus on cleaning up the Frame and purchasing more parts for the rebuild. Nothing glorious but progress is progress and for me it comes in spurts as I am super picky about things. It takes me a while to fully commit but once I do I am all in. If I did not have 3 teenagers and other major costs this project would get done faster but I unfortunately have to be patient on this one

The next updates you will see will be the frame blasting and painting. This will probably happen in the summer. Then I will begin putting together pics of the rebuild with all my mods
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenHornet For This Useful Post:
deejaaa (02-29-2016), redneck (02-29-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 01:30 PM   #129 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
You have to start on a method to streamline making urba centurions and start a business
Old 03-01-2016, 08:16 AM   #130 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
You have to start on a method to streamline making urba centurions and start a business
These are definitely cool little cars but I don't think there would be a lot of people who would drop the money for these. Parts are not cheap these days and finding a good chassis may take a bit. The concept is simple enough but I am more interested in Eco 3-wheel vehicles. I have a bunch of parts built up for my electric 3 wheeler project shoot it is almost as far along as the Centurion lol..

If that was not enough I also have my electric mountain bike I am building that needs to be done by June so I can hit the mountains this summer and also use it for commuting to work. I gave my teenage daughter my car so my main mode of transportation until the Centurion is done is going to be pedal power Hopefully this will extra motivate me to really make good progress on the Centurion this year

Reply  Post New Thread