Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2021, 02:57 PM   #731 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Doing some quick math, it seems for every $100,000 of home you'll have total monthly payments of around $700, which at around 25% of income (still need more for maintenance and repairs, so could eat into 30% or more) you need about $22 per hour at a full time job.

The houses around here are now at $400k and up. So that's around $2,400 per month and about $88 per hour needed to pay for that...

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-31-2021, 03:43 PM   #732 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,572 Times in 7,058 Posts
The solution was presaged by Archigram in the 1962:
Quote:
The Cushicle and Suitaloon - CUSHICLE AND SUITALOON
https://cushicleandsuitaloone3.wordpress.com › 2016 › 12 › 11 › the-cushicle-and-suitaloon
The Cushicle and Suitaloon are a pair of conceptual designs made by Michael Webb and published in the Archigram magazine in the 1960's. The Cushicle is an invention that enables a person to carry with them all the essentials of living - a self sustaining nomadic unit.

Cushicle and Suitaloon - Hidden Architecture
hiddenarchitecture.net › cushicle-and-suitaloon
Cushicle and Suitaloon. 1967. Architect: Michael Webb | Archigram. During the sixties, the architecture of Archigram produced a revolution within the radical and utopian proposals that started to appear after the Second World War. This group of architects were deeply influenced by the Pop Art, the Science Fiction comics and the new technology ...

Future House(s):Genealogy: Suitaloon
https://future-house-genealogy.blogspot.com › p › suitaloon.html
Suitaloon is a speculative design for a personal, individual and portable dwelling unit which may be 'worn' for transport and unpacked for occupation. Each suit has a plug serving functions similar to a key. This plug allows one to connect to another Suitaloon or leave own house or pack to be collected upon return.
Not impressed with Vimeo as a venue, but the do have a video vimeo.com/231666060 that from 0:38 to 0:59 has a clear exposition of the suitaloon/cushicle concept. What follows is materials research on conformal structures. Likely more interesting to me than you.

http://hiddenarchitecture.net/cushicle-and-suitaloon/

edit: Took a while to find any documentation on their Electric Garden concept:

Quote:
Such a conflation of rural and urban typologies is intended as a gently surreal gesture obviously, one made more so by the presence of people tapping away on their ipads under the building's chunky timber awning. There are deliberate echoes too of Archigram and, in particular, David Green’s dream of architecture as a kind of bucolic, high-tech paradise, a networked countryside of hidden data cables and robot gardeners.
http://fantasticjournal.blogspot.com...1_archive.html

Fake logs with power, Ethernet and Wi-fi.

Last edited by freebeard; 10-31-2021 at 04:04 PM..
Old 10-31-2021, 05:12 PM   #733 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 31.19 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
They don't need enough beds for everyone, they just need open beds. If they have one open bed they could cite and possibly arrest everyone in a camp.

Official homeless camps are only good if people don't decide to leave and sleep somewhere exciting.

Clearly you need to intern them there.

What is the worst that could happen?! :P
Old 11-01-2021, 01:26 AM   #734 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
My cousin lived free and died young because of his inadequate skill to persist in such a liberal society. Good thing it was legal to poop in the streets and clean needles were provided to facilitate the self-annihilation. Very humane.

Arresting the homeless would be the best and healthiest thing that could possibly happen. Everyone that thinks arresting drug addled people is some affront to liberty (meanwhile doing everything they can to undermine liberty for everyone else) hasn't got a dang clue.

I've been to prison, and it wasn't anything. Worse is to have a meaningless existence where the only respite is artificial dopamine and dulling of the senses. Many thrived while deprived of those toxins, and suffered when left to their own accord. There are so many wonderful prisoners that are a nightmare to meet on the streets, and they are the first to admit it.

Those who think being arrested (in the US) is the worst trama have never encountered the slightest harm, let alone real suffering.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 11-01-2021 at 01:40 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
hayden55 (11-01-2021), Xist (11-02-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 07:48 AM   #735 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
My cousin lived free and died young because of his inadequate skill to persist in such a liberal society. Good thing it was legal to poop in the streets and clean needles were provided to facilitate the self-annihilation. Very humane.

Arresting the homeless would be the best and healthiest thing that could possibly happen. Everyone that thinks arresting drug addled people is some affront to liberty (meanwhile doing everything they can to undermine liberty for everyone else) hasn't got a dang clue.

I've been to prison, and it wasn't anything. Worse is to have a meaningless existence where the only respite is artificial dopamine and dulling of the senses. Many thrived while deprived of those toxins, and suffered when left to their own accord. There are so many wonderful prisoners that are a nightmare to meet on the streets, and they are the first to admit it.

Those who think being arrested (in the US) is the worst trama have never encountered the slightest harm, let alone real suffering.
What about arresting the homeless that don't do drugs? In the local paper article it mentions people who own and can afford +$30,000 cars and make $20 to $30 per hour, but can't afford the now half a million dollar homes in the area nor the $2,000 to $4,000 per month rents. I've known several personally that I've know for a fact they don't do drugs, even the legal ones.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:57 AM   #736 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,110 Times in 979 Posts
Watched a PBS program last night that indicated society has deeply imbedded psychological issues against helping the homeless. Until you fix that, society really can't deal with the problems.

Bezos, musk gates, et al, have enough $$$ to mostly solve a lot of problems, but they don't, so obviously I'm wrong in suggesting they should.

I know a person that programs for microstupid who lives in his van in the parking lot. Arrest him?
Old 11-01-2021, 12:15 PM   #737 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
I watched a program called life that showed that many people think problems are simply solved by throwing others money at it, when actually the problems exist at a much deeper level that money can hardly reach.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 11-01-2021, 01:16 PM   #738 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Someone just threw up a bunch of pictures of dozens of local businesses with Help Wanted signs on a local FaceBook group. (Small town, there are only dozens of businesses in total). So many businesses desperately need workers here, and there a lots of people who want to work at these businesses but can't move here, or can't stay living here because there's no place to live... I have no idea how to solve that one.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:13 PM   #739 (permalink)
Growin a stash

@Isaac I think the answer is, people who can't afford to live there start moving out. Then the wealthy start to realize, "Hey, there's nobody to serve my wine and caviar." Either wages will rise or the rich will start leaving. (At least that's how it works in my fantasy land.) Sucks in the meantime.

2024 Chevy Bolt

Previous:
2015 Nissan Leaf S, 164 mpge
The Following User Says Thank You to ME_Andy For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (11-01-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 03:32 PM   #740 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,572 Times in 7,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5
I watched a program called life that showed that many people think problems are simply solved by throwing others money at it, when actually the problems exist at a much deeper level that money can hardly reach.
It's a rabbit hole, I tells ya.
Quote:
Watch MADE IN ABYSS - Season 1 | Prime Video
https://www.amazon.com › MADE-IN-ABYSS-Season-1 › dp › B073S2612X
The abyss embody's the unknown, enrapturing all who gaze at its bountiful treasures and untouched world, ripe for the taking. It elicits a primal calling to those that direct their attention towards it, tapping into a drive common to all humans, the pursuit of understanding. And as the main character, Riko, grew up in an orphanage on the ...
I think that part of the problem comes from overlaying a Cartesian Coordinate system over a Synergetic consensual reality. The result spawns irrationality. It doesn't take pi to make a soap bubble.

Reply  Post New Thread