Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2021, 07:49 PM   #721 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Being homeless is illegal in many places!
Yep, it is.

Not qualifying to buy or rent a home and moving into it is even more illegal.

Ironically a lot of the people moving out of the valley are tradesmen who can't afford to live here. So even fewer homes are being built. Every construction company that I know of is way short on all types of workers.

I know quite a few people who have lived in the area their whole life who have moved their families into the woods, literally.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-30-2021, 08:02 PM   #722 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
I have family who've lived there their whole lives.

The last time I stopped by their neighbors dropped in to visit. Their black Suburban came up through a field instead of the gravel road.

Old 10-30-2021, 10:01 PM   #723 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Being homeless is illegal in many places!
Not according to Martin v. Boise. The Ninth Circuit Court ruled in Martin v. Boise that people experiencing homelessness cannot be criminally punished for sleeping outside on public property if there are no available alternatives. In 2019 the Supreme Court declined to take up an appeal so the ruling stands and is now the law of the land.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
freebeard (10-30-2021), Xist (10-31-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 11:44 PM   #724 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
I stepped over a stark naked man spanning the entire sidewalk in SF. Doesn't seem so much illegal as a right. Doged many piles of feces on the journey as well. Living has become so easy that a 6 figure drug addiction can be maintained so long as one is willing to sleep on the sidewalk. Not long ago living was challenging, though I'd argue being alive and living are 2 vastly differing things.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Xist (10-31-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 12:56 AM   #725 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
It's one thing for people to go homeless because of drug addiction or alcoholism or something similar.

It's another to be told from one day to the next that your rent will now be double and the only other places to move to in the classifieds are a $1,000/month for a single room in a house you have to share with other roommates and a $2,000/month basement apartment that specifically says for only two people, and you probably don't make more than $20 an hour.
Old 10-31-2021, 01:03 AM   #726 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
What percent of outdoor people do we imagine made brilliant decisions, yet despite their genius, suffered a series of unfortunate events?

Absolutely everything in life is luck.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 10-31-2021 at 01:20 AM..
Old 10-31-2021, 01:54 AM   #727 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
What percent of outdoor people do we imagine made brilliant decisions, yet despite their genius, suffered a series of unfortunate events?

Absolutely everything in life is luck.
I'm sure decisions have a big part to do with it. But another large part is just being born on the wrong side of the tracks.
Old 10-31-2021, 03:38 AM   #728 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.18 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I am pretty sure that I read articles about people being arrested for being homeless since that decision in 2018. I found this article about the consequences of that decision interesting: https://www.malibutimes.com/news/art...8c44d8d9d.html

During Green Hair Kevin's ill-fated campaign for governor he said that he would have the National Guard round up the homeless and take them to shelters that he would build.

L.A. built homeless shelters. Since people can sleep there instead of on the street, they can be cited and\or arrested--specifically if they prevent wheelchair access, for example: https://www.latimes.com/california/s...w-humane-cruel

My question about Kevin's idea was: What happens when people refuse to go to the shelters?
Old 10-31-2021, 11:33 AM   #729 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
I am pretty sure that I read articles about people being arrested for being homeless since that decision in 2018. I found this article about the consequences of that decision interesting: https://www.malibutimes.com/news/art...8c44d8d9d.html

During Green Hair Kevin's ill-fated campaign for governor he said that he would have the National Guard round up the homeless and take them to shelters that he would build.

L.A. built homeless shelters. Since people can sleep there instead of on the street, they can be cited and\or arrested--specifically if they prevent wheelchair access, for example: https://www.latimes.com/california/s...w-humane-cruel

My question about Kevin's idea was: What happens when people refuse to go to the shelters?
I have no doubt that people have been arrested since that decision. Police do illegal stuff all the time, get sued, and the city pays out huge settlements.
Or people don't have the knowledge or resources to sue and the city gts away with it. Legal issues with homelessness really depend on how active and funded the homeless advocates are in an area. It also isn't too hard to arrest a homeless person for something besides being homeless - the Martin vs Boise decision only pertains to housing. (December 2019 would be the date when Martin vs Boise was final and the Supreme Court made it's decision not to hear an appeal and let the lower court decision stand)

We aren't anywhere near the place were a city could test Kevin's idea. First a city would have to build enough housing that the homeless have someplace to go. Good luck with that. I don't believe we have tested whether police can arrest a single homeless person if they have a single open bed for that person.

We'll find out soon in Portland. The city is finalizing plans for sanctioned camping areas. Once that happens they plan to start sweeping homeless camps again and moving people to those sanctioned camps. No doubt people will refuse to go and arrests and lawsuits will follow.
Old 10-31-2021, 01:15 PM   #730 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Quote:
First a city would have to build enough housing that the homeless have someplace to go. Good luck with that.
Their efforts so far have cost as much as conventional housing. And it would incentivize more homelessness. At the local shelter they make you go out on the street during the day anyway.

Don't take that wrong, all housing built today is all completely inadequate, inefficient and inaccommodative.

Reply  Post New Thread