Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

hX-TREME!!! - '97 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 54.75 mpg (US)

450sX-TREME!!! - '95 Nissan V8 240sx

chodercycle - '06 kawasaki ninja zx6r 636
Hmm ok. So I'd I drive real soft. Shifting at or before the shift light I'm good? I heard that coasting in neutral stays in LB is that the same for putting the clutch in 5th? My girlfriend has an elantra with an econometer and I notice when you let off the gas it gets better mileage than neutral. It is an auto but I've heard and believe idle uses more gas then letting off the pedle and leaving it in gear.but you are saying it throws you out of LB?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic CX/HX - '97 Honda Civic CX/HX
Team Honda
90 day: 63.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakins View Post
Was anyone able to find the led light thing?
http : //w w w. autospeed.co.nz/cms/A_1716/article . html?popularArticle

http : //autospeed.com/cms/A_110625/article . html

Obviously without the spaces
Old 09-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
GOOD LUCK! More miles with MMO = easier LB, at least for my car.
Thanks for all the info Bruce. I was planning not to go into lean burn today, but fell into it on the last stretch of highway and rode it out for a while. I keep forgeting MMO has cleaning proporties too which could help over time.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:06 PM   #34 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakins View Post
Hmm ok. So I'd I drive real soft. Shifting at or before the shift light I'm good? I heard that coasting in neutral stays in LB is that the same for putting the clutch in 5th? My girlfriend has an elantra with an econometer and I notice when you let off the gas it gets better mileage than neutral. It is an auto but I've heard and believe idle uses more gas then letting off the pedle and leaving it in gear.but you are saying it throws you out of LB?
I don't think the shift light will give u what u need to optimize lean burn time. The LOD and TPS numbers I gave are when using a ScanGauge. I use mine constantly for LOD (load) and the LBN display (lean burn). I display volts and engine temp on the other two.

Coasting in neutral vs. in gear:
At any given moment coasting in gear will use less fuel (usually none) than in neutral with engine idling. HOWEVER the engine braking from coasting in gear usually slows u down so much that it's not worth it. Unless u need to slow for a stop sign or such.

Best is coast in neutral with engine off. No penalty there. Except of course for Honda's lean burn cars, they kick you out of LB if u kill the engine and you'll need to drive 1.5-2 miles to restart LB. Coasting in gear with engine running also seems to disable LB but I haven't fully mapped how that works.

So on my daily 55 mile highway runs, when I'm able to coast, it's in neutral with engine running. It lets me get lean burn back pretty quick after the coast. It gives about 300-375 mpg so I'm happy with that for highway use. On smaller roads I don't usually achieve LB so I kill the engine for coasts.

Last edited by brucepick; 09-20-2012 at 09:12 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brucepick For This Useful Post:
Jakins (09-21-2012), turbovr41991 (10-04-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #35 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovr41991 View Post
Thanks for all the info Bruce. I was planning not to go into lean burn today, but fell into it on the last stretch of highway and rode it out for a while. I keep forgeting MMO has cleaning proporties too which could help over time.
Yeah, I think it's the cleaning properties that help with LB. it's high in phosphates which were used in household detergents for many years. Most automotive cleaners use solvents but this can be a thin oil and serve as a cleaner.

Also I think MMO might help seal the top ring since it would be able to work it's way into the crevices - gaps. And likely the cleaning action there would reduce carbon aka coking buildup. Which is a major cause of bad rings.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:02 AM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

hX-TREME!!! - '97 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 54.75 mpg (US)

450sX-TREME!!! - '95 Nissan V8 240sx

chodercycle - '06 kawasaki ninja zx6r 636
Ah so it will help improve compression? Nice! I'm going to get some and try it on both of my cars. In the mean time I'm going to check out that led thing
Old 09-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Also interesting to know about the 2 mile reset after EOC.
I had another really good stretch of lean burn today for about 10 miles at a slightly uphill grade. Stayed between 65 and 71 mph while in lean burn (2200 -2400 rpm)
I really need an MPGiuno. Scan gauge's MPG stats are too inaccurate for lean burn. I think my trip average was 48mpg, but is obviously much higher due to not courting lean burn.
Anyone have the input numbers for an MPGiuno on a Civic HX? You have one right Bruce? What kind of instant mpg numbers do you who in lean burn at various speeds on flat terrain?
Old 09-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #38 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovr41991 View Post
Also interesting to know about the 2 mile reset after EOC.
I had another really good stretch of lean burn today for about 10 miles at a slightly uphill grade. Stayed between 65 and 71 mph while in lean burn (2200 -2400 rpm)
I really need an MPGiuno. Scan gauge's MPG stats are too inaccurate for lean burn. I think my trip average was 48mpg, but is obviously much higher due to not courting lean burn.
Anyone have the input numbers for an MPGiuno on a Civic HX? You have one right Bruce? What kind of instant mpg numbers do you who in lean burn at various speeds on flat terrain?
Good that you're having some success with lean burn. Should get better with time and experience.

Yes you need an MPGuino. Under the instrumentation forum see the MPGuino subforum. There's a thread "Show off your installation". California 98Civic and others have nice installations visible. Cali's might be in its own thread.

Yes I'll get you the Guino settings but your speed sensor calibration # will be different due to your taller gear set. :-) Fine tune it using a GPS. My injector calibration should be very close for your car. Will send later.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #39 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
Turbovr41991,

You asked about instantaneous mpg numbers. Mine are for a car with alternator disconnected and a few aerodynamics mods. Also LRR tires at close to 60 psi. YMMV.

Flat or sorta flat, anywhere from 40 to 60 mpg. Lots of pulse and glide on flats and downhills so the numbers are all over the place. I don't usually drive at steady speeds on flats. P & G is better.

On upgrades in lean burn, 32.x mpg up through high 30's. Also true for accelerating pulses on flats.

Downhill coasts in neutral, 200-400 mpg depending on speed.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Quote:
Yes I'll get you the Guino settings but your speed sensor calibration # will be different due to your taller gear set. :-) Fine tune it using a GPS. My injector calibration should be very close for your car. Will send later.
I have an MPGuino on order, just waiting for it to come in the mail. Still not sure where I am going to install it, but I have a little more time to figure that out. Is it is simple process to fine tune the speed in the MPGuino to the GPS?
Quote:
Flat or sorta flat, anywhere from 40 to 60 mpg. Lots of pulse and glide on flats and downhills so the numbers are all over the place. I don't usually drive at steady speeds on flats. P & G is better.
On upgrades in lean burn, 32.x mpg up through high 30's. Also true for accelerating pulses on flats.
Downhill coasts in neutral, 200-400 mpg depending on speed.
I guess driving conditions and modifications are too different to really compare things here. With the taller gears I am able to get 32-36 on most upgrades going 58 mph with the rpms right around 1900. I have been lucky enough to stay in lean burn on these same upgrades going 65+ mph, but unsure if the increase in speed combine with lean burn helps or hinders gas mileage. Scan gauge reads it is less efficient as the speed is higher and throttle usage is a little higher than what it would have been at the ideal 58 mph. Hoping the MPGuino will give some insight in which method is better.
So at highway speeds you would not find yourself using lean burn at all on flat or downhill grades because you normally use P&G?
I have also found coasting in gear DFCO does not lower my speed as much with the taller gears. Many downhill grades do not suffer much if at all by doing this.