Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #91 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 47.95 mpg (US)
I have considered it, but we don't have the space to keep the Neon just sitting around. Kijiji is also already flooded with Neon part outs, when I needed a rear strut, I found 4 within a half hour of me. So for me to really sell anything I will basically have to give it away. I am going to call around to some other places still, the first place said that if I get a better offer than $250 they will match it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #92 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

2 x wrecked vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 62 mpg (US)
Hope you get the vx. I imported mine from the U.S. a few years ago because the ones I looked at in eastern Canada had too much rust. Almost unbeatable highway mpg . Just oil the rust prone areas yearly and drive it forever.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #93 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000neon View Post
Yeah the Civic will be a massively better starting point than the Neon. Some people just laugh hysterically at it, but almost everyone I talk to, once they understand the idea of it usually like it.

I was just talking to the local scrap/ partsyard who said that they will give me $250 for the Neon, maybe more if someone else offers better.
Throw it on CL for $500 and have somebody drive it away.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #94 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbothrush View Post
Hope you get the vx. I imported mine from the U.S. a few years ago because the ones I looked at in eastern Canada had too much rust. Almost unbeatable highway mpg . Just oil the rust prone areas yearly and drive it forever.
That's the exact situation I'm in, there is nothing not rotted away here, so to find a decent one, you have to go down south. In fact, this one found me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
Throw it on CL for $500 and have somebody drive it away.
I was thinking about that, but no one would buy it. There are a whole bunch of neons on kijiji and CL, for 1500 you can get one safetied and e-tested, I don't see anyone buying this one for $500 and have to put a ton of work into it just to end up with a rotted, beaten up Neon.

Also, I would genuinely not feel good selling this car to someone, it is far too rusted, I would feel bad. the front subframe is almost terrifying, the rockers are so soft, the main structure comes from the rocker guard paint... The driver's side quarter is well.. GONE!

I will take the $250 scrap and walk away with a smile. If I can find a higher offer though, sweet!

Old 09-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #95 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pantry Boy Supreme (pbs) - '04 Volvo S80 T6 Premier
Just post it up online driveable AS-IS, or complete parts/donar car and have a bottom dollar amount you'd take for it(500 sounds reasonable) 700 cause its got the title... Someone will buy it,(good things come to those who wait) and IF it comes down to you needing a new car sooner you still have the option to scrap it when needed

250 for the engine easy, trans 150, then scrap the rest
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:30 PM   #96 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
The problem is that I have the new car coming one week from today . Our driveway is about as full as we can go (already have to park two cars on the road. In the family we have a 7 vehicles, the civic will be 8, my third here (El Camino, Civic, and Neon just sitting), EDIT: I guess we have 9 if you count my brother's motorcycle. So I don't have the room to hang onto it and wait for parts to go, and with winter coming it makes it even harder to keep parts around.

It is driveable as is, but for a new owner to drive it it needs to pass a safety inspection, which it wont. Not without SERIOUS body/ structural work (almost every panel), as well as some mechanical issues like the wheel bearing, control arm bushings, probably tires, etc. Way too much work for a new person to get it on the road, and I would feel horrible suckering someone into buying it thinking it's worth it.

Also, as far as parting it out, kijiji is flooded with Neon parts from cars exactly like mine, for me to sell anything, it would have to be for pennies on the dollar, if it even sells. To me, $250 upfront, right away and i'm done with it is worth it to me. I will get some pictures to give you an idea of how bad the car is.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #97 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,962 Times in 3,606 Posts
VX - congrats!

You won't be nearly as famous as your Neon seems to be making you though ... Just what were they thinking?!!
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 10-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #98 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
Ha ha ha! That is too funny. My ecomodder stencils are obviously working though, in the thread the guy posted again and linked to this thread here. It's really cool that it's actually getting people to check out the site. Going to have to start charging admission soon

Last edited by 2000neon; 10-02-2012 at 10:49 AM..
Old 10-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #99 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
That's pretty cool that the "Ecomodder.com" on the side of the car actually work. I also have my it on my upper grill block as well. This is the upper grill block,

Old 10-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #100 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
46.9 MPG US Had 2 longer drives on this tank which must help my average compared to the short trips. This will be my last tank of normal driving with this car, on friday it is going down to Ohio and back, about 1500 km round trip. There should be some potential for great mileage, but it probably won't be that great since I wont be hypermiling too much. Also, someone else will be driving it home for me (I will be in the new car )

The Following User Says Thank You to 2000neon For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-02-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread