Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2019, 02:10 PM   #21 (permalink)
Batman Junior
 
MetroMPG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 1000 Islands, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 21,139

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.8 mpg (US)

Winter beater Metro - '00 Chevrolet Metro
90 day: 73.57 mpg (US)
Thanks: 2,930
Thanked 5,779 Times in 2,991 Posts
I wonder if your Sentra's CVT is the same as in the Versa / Canadian Micra / Mitsu Mirage / Chevy Spark. That would be the "CVT-7".


What don't you like about it?



Oh and welcome to the forum.

__________________
Latest mods test: 15 mods = 15% MPG improvement: A-B test, 2007 Honda Civic 1.8L, 5-speed
Ecodriving test:
Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown: Nissan Micra 1.6L



EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 03-22-2019, 02:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ft. Worth, Texas
Posts: 2

'00 Celica - '00 Toyota Celica GT
90 day: 33.85 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I wonder if your Sentra's CVT is the same as in the Versa / Canadian Micra / Mitsu Mirage / Chevy Spark. That would be the "CVT-7".


What don't you like about it?



Oh and welcome to the forum.

Thanks!


It is the clunkiest shifting transmission I've ever driven. Had it checked out twice now because I keep thinking something is wrong. Stealership says it's normal for that transmission. Sentra owner forums back that up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:56 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Russellville, KY
Posts: 37

Little Blue Fuel Sipper - '16 Nissan Versa SV Sedan
90 day: 47.93 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Static Klingon View Post
Thanks!


It is the clunkiest shifting transmission I've ever driven. Had it checked out twice now because I keep thinking something is wrong. Stealership says it's normal for that transmission. Sentra owner forums back that up.
This is my first experience with a CVT and mine shifts smooth. I like it OK, my biggest concern is the longevity of it. My biggest complaint with the CVT is that when the c/c is set sometimes when I start up a steep hill the RPM's will suddenly go from 1500 to 3000. I can regulate the speed in hilly areas without near as much RPM variation as the computer makes when the c/c is set.

My son has a '14 Sentra. I haven't ridden in it many times but I've never noticed anything like you describe when riding in his. Pay close attention to it, Nissan has had their share of problems with their CVT's and it could be you have one of the problem transmissions. I've read of several reports online of Nissan telling customers their transmissions were working correctly right up until the transmission went out.

Last edited by 2016 Versa; 03-22-2019 at 07:27 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 06:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Russellville, KY
Posts: 37

Little Blue Fuel Sipper - '16 Nissan Versa SV Sedan
90 day: 47.93 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
The mileage on this car just keeps getting better. Today I filled the tank with 390.3 miles taking 8.136 gallons for a tank average of 47.972 MPG. I'd never used this station before and I didn't realize when I pulled into the station they sold E/15 instead of E/10 so I may see a slight decrease in the next tank but I'm hoping warmer spring temperatures will offset the difference. According the Ultra Gauge I was expecting about 1 MPG better than the last tank, but I actually got 2 more MPG so I may have not got the tank quite as full as last time either. I thought about going to another station but if I had I'd have been driving about 6 miles out of the way so just thought I'd take a chance on the E/15. On the 3 tanks I've ran through the car I've traveled 1287.7 miles on 28.411 gallons and saved 9.463 gallons over EPA estimates. My average fill-up has been 9.470 gallons so on 3 fill-ups I've saved almost enough gas to cover the 4th fill up.

Last edited by 2016 Versa; 04-10-2019 at 03:32 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:38 AM   #25 (permalink)
Rat Racer
 
Fat Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Route 16
Posts: 3,366

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,284
Thanked 1,404 Times in 902 Posts
Try to get a few tanks in a row not just from the same station, but from the same pump. Calibrate the UG each time, until it's dead on. Then fly free, and the UG should be spot on.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:17 AM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Russellville, KY
Posts: 37

Little Blue Fuel Sipper - '16 Nissan Versa SV Sedan
90 day: 47.93 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Try to get a few tanks in a row not just from the same station, but from the same pump. Calibrate the UG each time, until it's dead on. Then fly free, and the UG should be spot on.
About 95% or more of the time I use the same station and same pump. Yesterday was just one of those off times. How do you calibrate the UG? I've had it for a few years but until I bought this car I'd never used it, I always used my Scan Gauge before. After I filled up yesterday I cleared everything and informed it I'd filled up but didn't see a way to calibrate it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:36 PM   #27 (permalink)
Rat Racer
 
Fat Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Route 16
Posts: 3,366

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,284
Thanked 1,404 Times in 902 Posts
Page 37 of the manual.

Calibration Procedure:
1. Fill up the fuel tank.
2. Set the ignition to the RUN position (Engine Off)
3. Press and hold the UP key to cause UltraGauge to recognize the fill-up
4. Zero the Average MPG. MENU --> Gauge/Page Menu .. --> Zero Ave MPG, G/H.
5. Exit the Menu system
6. Drive until it’s time for the next fuel fill-up.
7. At the next fuel fill-up, fill the fuel tank and note the number of gallons/liters used (pumped). (Always use the same fuel
station and the same fuel pump)
8. Set the ignition to the RUN position (engine off)
9. Press and hold the UP key to cause UltraGauge to recognize the fill-up
10. Select MENU --> Vehicle Setup.. --> Calibration.. --> Calibrate MPG/Fuel, and change the value displayed to the amount
of fuel recorded in step #7. Press MENU when complete to set and save the calibration.
11. Exit the Menu system the cal is complete
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:46 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Russellville, KY
Posts: 37

Little Blue Fuel Sipper - '16 Nissan Versa SV Sedan
90 day: 47.93 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Page 37 of the manual.

Calibration Procedure:
1. Fill up the fuel tank.
2. Set the ignition to the RUN position (Engine Off)
3. Press and hold the UP key to cause UltraGauge to recognize the fill-up
4. Zero the Average MPG. MENU --> Gauge/Page Menu .. --> Zero Ave MPG, G/H.
5. Exit the Menu system
6. Drive until it’s time for the next fuel fill-up.
7. At the next fuel fill-up, fill the fuel tank and note the number of gallons/liters used (pumped). (Always use the same fuel
station and the same fuel pump)
8. Set the ignition to the RUN position (engine off)
9. Press and hold the UP key to cause UltraGauge to recognize the fill-up
10. Select MENU --> Vehicle Setup.. --> Calibration.. --> Calibrate MPG/Fuel, and change the value displayed to the amount
of fuel recorded in step #7. Press MENU when complete to set and save the calibration.
11. Exit the Menu system the cal is complete
I figured it could be calibrated I just hadn't seen it in the manual and as I said for years I've been using a SG in my other car but didn't want to be moving it back and forth between vehicles when I had the UG that wasn't being used..
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:47 PM   #29 (permalink)
Ol' Skooler
 
jcp123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tyler, TX
Posts: 1,134

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.77 mpg (US)
Thanks: 60
Thanked 185 Times in 158 Posts
Just my $0.02, I always do a halfway calibration. For instance, with nice round numbers, if UG says I used 10 gallons but I pumped 11 gallons in on my fill, I'll set the calibration with 10.5 gallons used, and continue to refine it as time goes on and more tanks go in. Helps eliminate wild variations.
__________________



'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - the better half's car
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jcp123 For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (04-02-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 02:03 AM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Everett WA
Posts: 410
Thanks: 50
Thanked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Not sure if you want to go to stealership for DSG service as I hear of that being many hundred dollars. My last 40k miles was close to a grand on the Golf and it's a manual 6 spd.
A while back, our two Elantras got their 60,000 mile maintenance for the 100,000 mile warranty. The automatic 6speed cost $550 & the manual 6speed cost $400. So much for the sub-$13,000 "good deal" on the manual. Anyhow, at a total 125,000 miles, neither Elantra has had any problems & get very good MPG.

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com