Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 04:59 PM   #31 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96SATSL View Post
Upper grill block:
In my experience using these without securing them as part of ducting for my radiator, even though the pipe insulation was worked into a pretty tight spot, it worked its way loose if I left it without something to secure it. Try some zip ties threaded through just the back of the insulation and tied to something in the bumper assembly or somewhere. Otherwise, I think you might get home one day and discover it has disappeared somewhere in transit.

But these are some of the cleanest, best looking simple mods I have seen on the site.

j

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #32 (permalink)
tru
EcoModding Apprentice

tru - '05 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 39.46 mpg (US)

the truck - '02 GMC Sierra Denali
would you be interested in selling a set of 4 of the clears? pm me a price and i'll cover shipping
Old 10-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #33 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
California98Civic -

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
In my experience using these without securing them as part of ducting for my radiator, even though the pipe insulation was worked into a pretty tight spot, it worked its way loose if I left it without something to secure it. Try some zip ties threaded through just the back of the insulation and tied to something in the bumper assembly or somewhere. Otherwise, I think you might get home one day and discover it has disappeared somewhere in transit.

But these are some of the cleanest, best looking simple mods I have seen on the site.

j
I agree that they are clean. I think Prius' people were some of the first to do it.

I never lost any pipe insulation. Which size ducting did you use? The larger one that Alex is using in his SL1 "grill" is pretty snug. One thing I did was bend the ends to "hook" into the sides of the above lower grill. That helped to anchor it.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society

Last edited by cfg83; 10-29-2011 at 12:03 PM..
Old 10-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

96SATSL - '96 Saturn Sl1 Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmeebryan View Post

I'm most interested in your body panel degapping. I'm sick of the huge gaps between all the panels on my car. What exactly did you use to do that? I was planning on just using silicone out of a tube to seal up all the gaps.

Do you pulse and glide at all? Any Engine off Coasting?
For the gaps I used rubber 1/4 inch sticky-backed tubing, or 1/4 x 3/8 adhesive backed foam for windows etc. All the mateials can be bought from Osh harware. The rubber seal is around $9 and the foam one about $4. Pretty cheap. I'm sure its easier to remore than silicone, thats why I decided this method was better,

Plenty of pulse and glide, I have my route figured out after 6 weeks of driving it. haha Its been fun!!!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru View Post
would you be interested in selling a set of 4 of the clears? pm me a price and i'll cover shipping
Tru,

What part of Fl are you from? I am originally from just south of the Sarasota area.

I would like to see how these react to wear and tear, then I would consider making some. I have the 15" setup figured out already, is that the size you asked about? I will also have to find a place to get my acrylic cheaper because these would run $30 in acrylic alone. I had the acrylic laying around, hence the experiement.

-Alex
Old 10-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #36 (permalink)
tru
EcoModding Apprentice

tru - '05 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 39.46 mpg (US)

the truck - '02 GMC Sierra Denali
Quote:
Tru,

What part of Fl are you from? I am originally from just south of the Sarasota area.

I would like to see how these react to wear and tear, then I would consider making some. I have the 15" setup figured out already, is that the size you asked about? I will also have to find a place to get my acrylic cheaper because these would run $30 in acrylic alone. I had the acrylic laying around, hence the experiement.

-Alex
Im in orlando-cocoa area, i'd be interested in the 15" size. id be willing to pay up to the cost of pizza pans for the clears plus shipping
Old 10-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru View Post
Im in orlando-cocoa area, i'd be interested in the 15" size. id be willing to pay up to the cost of pizza pans for the clears plus shipping
Couldnt make them for that , a pizza pan is $3.59. haha
Old 10-31-2011, 01:32 PM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Wow is coroplast hard to find. Anyone use anything else other than coroplast for an underbelly pan? ABS sheet maybe?

-Alex
Old 10-31-2011, 01:43 PM   #39 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
96SATSL -

Quote:
Wow is coroplast hard to find. Anyone use anything else other than coroplast for an underbelly pan? ABS sheet maybe?

-Alex
If you go to the OSH on Colorado, then there is a sign store on San Gabriel (West side of the street) just North of the intersection at Las Tunas. But that will cost up to $50 for an 8'x4' .

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 10-31-2011, 07:19 PM   #40 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Called Osh they dont know what it is. I cant seem to find the place is San Gabriel.

-Alex

Reply  Post New Thread