Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #51 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tru View Post
did you take nay pictures detailing the diffuser?
And how did you judge the angle of the diffuser? I think 4-5 degrees is considered optimal.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #52 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

96SATSL - '96 Saturn Sl1 Base
After I closed off the bottom of the car. The rear end was roughly 5-6 degrees of angle. I spoke with my aero engineer, he suggested 6 is optimum. Range from (4-6) I overlayed a stock image of the saturn in sideview and it is roughly 6*. From there I used my under belly pan as a guide; as it was in the propper range.

-Alex

I did not take any photos, cause it was pretty quick to build. The same method was used, which a member used to make one for his Mini Cooper S I believe.

Last edited by 96SATSL; 11-08-2011 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 11-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #53 (permalink)
tru
EcoModding Apprentice

tru - '05 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 39.46 mpg (US)

the truck - '02 GMC Sierra Denali
did you reinforce it like the mini cooper? how did you attach the strakes to the base?
Old 11-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #54 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Crimson Crawler - '04 Hyundai Elantra GLS
90 day: 36.71 mpg (US)
How did you attach the belly pan to the car?
Old 11-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #55 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
I'm not sure if I overlooked it or not, but what do you plan to do with the rear of the car besides a decklid spoiler ?
I remember you had the comment about wanting the car to look OEM, but i notice you seem to have changed your mind with the non OEM looking pizza pan covers.
What was wrong with the clear ones ?

My mother has this same car. It seems to have a pretty clean underside, but even though modern cars rarely need their gaps filled, I cringe every time i see her car and the huge gaps around the hood. Clever use of the foam insulation tape !
I did a sloppy tuft test of the rear glass on her car, and as i suspected, its a total mess back there.
What about a small roof mounted trip at the corner of the roof for your car ?
Old 11-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #56 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
96SATSL -

Just in case you were interested in a spoiler that "meets the template" :

When I look at the template and I look at sedans, I always think of this non-OEM spoiler :

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society

Last edited by cfg83; 11-09-2011 at 02:30 PM..
Old 11-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #57 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru View Post
did you reinforce it like the mini cooper? how did you attach the strakes to the base?
Strakes are attached with exopy.

Last edited by 96SATSL; 11-09-2011 at 02:46 PM..
Old 11-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #58 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevyn View Post
How did you attach the belly pan to the car?
The belly pan is attached to allum L channel bars which I mounted on the rear and where ever neccesary towards the front. I also tried to use exicting wholes for the majority of the attachments.
The Following User Says Thank You to 96SATSL For This Useful Post:
cfg83 (11-09-2011)
Old 11-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #59 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
I'm not sure if I overlooked it or not, but what do you plan to do with the rear of the car besides a decklid spoiler ?
I remember you had the comment about wanting the car to look OEM, but i notice you seem to have changed your mind with the non OEM looking pizza pan covers.
What was wrong with the clear ones ?

My mother has this same car. It seems to have a pretty clean underside, but even though modern cars rarely need their gaps filled, I cringe every time i see her car and the huge gaps around the hood. Clever use of the foam insulation tape !
I did a sloppy tuft test of the rear glass on her car, and as i suspected, its a total mess back there.
What about a small roof mounted trip at the corner of the roof for your car ?
I did the clear and pizza pan versions, but I decided to take them off as I did not know the actual impact they had on MPG. For the last two days I did not notice a drop once they were removed, so I assume the stock hubcaps arent too bad as they are. I think I'm gonna ditch the wheel covers for now. As far as OEM they were the only thing that looks different. Now they are off with no negative impact to total MPG.

What do you mean about roof trip?
Old 11-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #60 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96SATSL View Post
I did the clear and pizza pan versions, but I decided to take them off as I did not know the actual impact they had on MPG. For the last two days I did not notice a drop once they were removed, so I assume the stock hubcaps arent too bad as they are. I think I'm gonna ditch the wheel covers for now. As far as OEM they were the only thing that looks different. Now they are off with no negative impact to total MPG.

What do you mean about roof trip?
I suspected that you wouldn't see much of any improvement with the wheel covers, but kept that to myself.

By roof trip, I meant a sort of shelf spoiler that would be mounted at the edge of the roofline just above the glass. It would separate the wake more cleanly than having a sudden curve at the rear. The Audi A2 has one at the end of its' roofline. Imagine something similar added at the junction of the roof and rear glass.

Since your roofline is quite short, I'm guessing that you may not see much of an improvement. What you really want is to extend the roofline out along the template cure as far as you can and create a Kammback.

I just mentioned the trip because you wanted to keep the car looking semi stock.

I'll let the experts take over now.

Reply  Post New Thread