Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #61 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

watching with interest

Excellent experiment.

Your class of vehicle has a lot more to gain, in terms of total fuel saved, than the small hondas, toyotas, etc.

I work at a Wal-Mart Vision center. Wal-Mart changes their signage about twice a year. Guess what most of the signage is made of...coroplast.

If you ask nice, you might get multiple shopping carts full of big sheets of coroplast in almost pristine condition. It might have a picture of a handsome man modeling some handsome jeans on it.

Premium vs regular today is a much different question than premium vs regular from 5 or 6 years ago because of the increased use of ethanol. Premium may very well produce higher fuel economy IF it has less ethanol than the regular. It is rumored to be so in some places. There are several ways to test it without too much time, effort or money. A google search for "ethanol test for gasoline" will get a lot of worthwhile hits. Here's a youtube vid for those who want to try one:

It's just a calibrated test tube. You put a certain amount of water in, add gas up to the line and see how much the aqeous phase goes up. Most of the ethanol will migrate out of the gas into the water. They are about fifteen bucks.

Please carry on.

troy

want to build 150 mpg diesel streamliner.
The Following User Says Thank You to solarguy For This Useful Post:
usergone (09-11-2010)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #62 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I like the idea of narrowing.

Your frame needs to be stronger though. It's a big wing!
Old 09-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #63 (permalink)
I have to start over?

Big inefficient truck - '94 Dodge Ram 2500
90 day: 12.1 mpg (US)

Honda Civic - '84 Honda Civic DX Hatchback
Today I finished applying the sheet of plastic I put on, and put some red/black stripes on it. I realized that the license plate holder was far back from the plastic enough that the authorities that be may not like the blurry view, not to mention blocked view by the stripes at certain angles. I erred on the side of caution around police (in this application!? LOL) and just put the plate flush with the plastic. I will need to add lights and/or something before I can test it

Unfortunately I will not be testing this scientifically with ABA, until I get the MPGuino cooperating with my injector. I may do a tank with and a tank without, a couple of times.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:29 PM   #64 (permalink)
I have to start over?

After a short test drive at about 55 MPH, the difference was not noticeable (but it was a short drive) and the plastic was not being pulled up like it should have been (but, again, I may need to get up to 70 to see the real difference).I think I need to use coroplast with the amount of skin support that I have (or lack therof) because the plastic sheet is not making a smooth parabolic curve, but sitting high on the cross members and sagging/getting pulled down in between, causing vortexes. I don't really want to add more cross members (at least, not the amount that would be necessary to make a smooth skin surface) so coroplast it is.

Off to walmart... when I get around to it
Old 09-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #65 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It looks awesome now that it's complete. Why don't you want to add more crossmembers? I'm surprised it held together with so little structure

BTW, get some reflective tape!!
Old 09-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #66 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Odd - '04 Ford Ranger
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
Sure does look awesome! I'm glad you tapered it in. I think it's better and easier for turning. Also, I'd recommend some low hanging fruit: rear wheel skirts, partial grill block, partial belly pan, front gap arch filler, LRR tires, mooncaps. In my experience, the more I add on, the better everything gets (greater than the sum of all parts added together). It's like they work together. When you get coroplast, think about getting more for that stuff. It takes no time to just cut the plastic and tape it on too.
I'm excited to hear the results. Looks sweet!
Old 09-12-2010, 09:11 PM   #67 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
Flutter is an issue with such soft material and so little support.
Coroplast with cable ties or zote foam are both better but more expensive.
I bet it will be fun parking. Good effort. I need to look at what you did to the front.

Edit:
If you were to reshape the back to cover the top of the camper trailer in front of the burnout you might get better mileage while pulling it

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787

Last edited by Varn; 09-12-2010 at 09:16 PM..
Old 09-16-2010, 12:01 AM   #68 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Odd - '04 Ford Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecheese429 View Post
After a short test drive at about 55 MPH, the difference was not noticeable (but it was a short drive) and the plastic was not being pulled up like it should have been (but, again, I may need to get up to 70 to see the real difference).I think I need to use coroplast with the amount of skin support that I have (or lack therof) because the plastic sheet is not making a smooth parabolic curve, but sitting high on the cross members and sagging/getting pulled down in between, causing vortexes. I don't really want to add more cross members (at least, not the amount that would be necessary to make a smooth skin surface) so coroplast it is.

Off to walmart... when I get around to it
Have you overlayed a picture with Aerohead's teardrop shapes? I wonder if it might lead into a little steep of an angle near the tailgate. I did a 12 degree taper all the way back (6 foot bed), and that led me to be 6 inches higher than the tailgate. Your's has a more gradual lead into that angle, but then might drop steeply to be flush with the tailgate. Your addition is too significant to not be noticeable FE gains! It looks awesome, I'm hoping it'll kick ass.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:59 PM   #69 (permalink)
I have to start over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cons View Post
Have you overlayed a picture with Aerohead's teardrop shapes? I wonder if it might lead into a little steep of an angle near the tailgate.
I can't say that I have, because I haven't taken the time to look for them :P (to speed the process, feel free to point me in the right direction). I wouldn't be surprised if my "parabolic" shape is not "ideal", so it may very well have greater potential. It is, however, pretty much stalled until I get some coroplast sheets (lazy me )

I did, however, spend $25 on 4 pizza pans today. The holes in the spokes of my rims make for some very good mount points. I just used some 14 gauge copper wiring (from romex). I was hoping that I could use the 15 inch pans, but they were too small so I got the 16 inchers which are very close to the actual diameter of the (largest part of) the rim. Too much talk! PICTURES!

I need to put some divots in the pans so that they will "nest" in the rim (because they tend to slide around a little). I am considering painting them. Maybe black...
Old 09-16-2010, 11:19 PM   #70 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Odd - '04 Ford Ranger
Nice work!

Reply  Post New Thread