Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Knightrun - '08 Ford Mustang GT
90 day: 31.83 mpg (US)
An "AeroStang" perhaps?

In lieu of blowing a wad of hard-earned $$$ on another car or bike, I'm now thinking about doing some semi-permanent mods to my '08 Mustang GT. I spend a lot of time on the highway and get better than most people expect: ~ 24-27 mpg in a 300 HP brick. That's based on the built in MPG computer... I haven't gotten REALLY serious and calculated my actual fill-ups. If I baby it for half a tank (max 55 mph, easy acceleration), I've pulled off 28.9. Oddly, the first half of the tank seems to determine the overall performance. Dunno if this is a calculation error on behalf of the computer, or more to do with the shape of the tank, or some other factor. FYI, the Mustang has a little bar gauge that shows you your current FE (a Min-Max rating). It's no ScanGauge, but a neat little gadget you wouldn't expect in a muscle car.

Anyhoo, I'm tossing around the idea of adding a small kammback extension, a belly pan beneath the engine bay, an upper grille block, and maybe even a set of rear fender skirts. Might lower the car an inch in the future, but I'm not sold on cutting the springs just yet. I've had those struts out before, and they're a PITA to work with, AND I'd have to get the front end aligned again.

Here's a mock up thanks to the local overlay app (not my car, mine's blue).

I think some corrugated plastic painted black and wired over my existing grille will work and look pretty decent. Same for the rear skirts, though I have NO idea how to attach them. I wanna do something a little nicer than duct tape!

On second thought, I might use aluminum sheeting so it doesn't have those ridges. What's the recommended thickness?

As for the kammback extension, it has to be this short or I lose access to the trunk. I'm really not sure how to brace it off. I refuse to drill holes, so I'll be relying heavily on 3M double-sided trim tape. Maybe some long aluminum brackets tucked under the trunk seams or something....?

Mustang side mirrors are ENORMOUS. Look like they belong on a full-sized pickup. May look into rigging up some smaller ones (motorcycle mirrors?) with a block off plate to clean up the install.

Also, have a look at the front end. Would there be any benefit to adding a spoiler of sorts that deflected the air upward before it gets to the windshield? Or is that overkill?

~ SM

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aerostang1.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	12769  

Last edited by Swordsman; 03-27-2013 at 04:27 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
Welcome! Id suggest a grill block, those things have a gaping hole up front.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Dirty330 Modder

CruzeRS - '15 Chevy Cruze LT RS
90 day: 41.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman View Post
As for the kammback extension, it has to be this short or I lose access to the trunk. I'm really not sure how to brace it off. I refuse to drill holes, so I'll be relying heavily on 3M double-sided trim tape. Maybe some long aluminum brackets tucked under the trunk seams or something....?
~ SM

Heres my .02 on the kamm. You could make it longer by adding a door hinge from a house door which would allow you to fold the kamm up or even take off the back half at any time. The edges could lay in the space between the body and the trunk lid. I would think you would need the kamm to be smooth against the body or the wind can and will lift it up and off, but if the kamm was painted black and used black duct tape it would be fine.

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing."
- Henry Ford
Old 03-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gealii View Post
Heres my .02 on the kamm. You could make it longer by adding a door hinge from a house door which would allow you to fold the kamm up or even take off the back half at any time. The edges could lay in the space between the body and the trunk lid. I would think you would need the kamm to be smooth against the body or the wind can and will lift it up and off, but if the kamm was painted black and used black duct tape it would be fine.
Interesting! Hmm, I wonder how I could attach the ends and still lift it up when I needed? 3M'd hoops on the trunk and small bungees?

When it comes to forming the kamm, do the corners really need to be smooth, or can I simply crease my material and achieve basically the same thing?

~SM

Last edited by Swordsman; 03-27-2013 at 04:59 PM..
Old 03-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Dirty330 Modder

CruzeRS - '15 Chevy Cruze LT RS
90 day: 41.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman View Post
Interesting! Hmm, I wonder how I could attach the ends and still lift it up when I needed? 3M'd hoops on the trunk and small bungees?

When it comes to forming the kamm, do the corners really need to be smooth, or can I simply crease my material and achieve basically the same thing?

~SM
i Wouldnt think you would need to attach it the overflowing air would keep it planted to the trunk except possibly on bumps but it would get pushed back down by the airflow

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing."
- Henry Ford
Old 03-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
I am going to annoy some people with with overlay, but I think the existing Mustang canopy is just fine when you re-scale the template, and use the new template which has been discussed.

Overlay-Ford-Mustang_zps568802bb.jpg Photo by kach22i | Photobucket

I am against grille blocks, not in love with belly pans, so that leaves front chin spoilers and wheel covers.

I would not molest your Mustang too much, you may hate yourself later for it if you do.

Maybe the right combination of grille block with a type of chin spoiler which deflects air up into the radiator (like a race car) will work.

http://s184.photobucket.com/user/kac...%20Ends?page=1

I'm pretty sure #3 is not going to do a thing with respect to this car. I just wanted to see what it would look like.

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html

Last edited by kach22i; 03-27-2013 at 06:42 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to kach22i For This Useful Post:
Swordsman (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

kach, well you certainly won't hear me complain about ditching the kammback idea, simply because it'll be a PITA to make. Any chance you could point me at the thread(s) dealing with this alternate overlay? Being a noob, this is the first I've heard of it. Also, I'd like to know why you're against the belly pans and grille blocks. I'll admit, blocking off a coolant doesn't sit that well with me, especially considering how hot GA gets. I suspect my Mustang won't like it very much, as I've read the 4.6L is a hot little engine in the first place.

I aired up the tires when I got home today. I usually run the recommended 32 psi, but they were down to 30. I bumped them up to 40. I could go to 44 psi, but I know from a prior experience that even at 40 they they tend to lose traction on takeoff, so I don't want to push it any further.

I have a front air splitter/dam already that drops the clearance about an inch. I think I'm gonna make a trip to Home Depot and pick up some of that garage door seal to go around as well. I scrape bad enough with the plastic dam, so I know I need something flexible. The sides have a great mounting spot underneath.

If I can remember, I want to rig up a string test on the back window to see what's going on back there.

~SM
Old 03-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Eco Sol

I think that if you are going to do rear wheel skirts you may want to lower the front portion of them to the same height as your side skirts. Some other things (some mentioned) that will help would be kammback, disk wheels, tire spats, grill block (at least partial), underbelly (only if you dont have clearance issues), interior mirrors. I would also suggest that you install a vacuum gauge, to get instant feedback of how you are driving.

Many of these are on my list of things to do, though some may be a bit out of your comfort zone.

Here is a pic with tire spats, adjusted rear wheel skirts, full kammback and tire spats.

Best Tank = 42.72 mpg (in the 94 Del Sol)

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI
Old 03-28-2013, 12:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman
Any chance you could point me at the thread(s) dealing with this alternate overlay?
Aerodynamic Streamlining Template: Part-C — page 51

It sort of percolated into the thread, but sgtlethargic's post and on will give you the sense of it.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts

Reply  Post New Thread