Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 05:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Honna - '91 Honda Civic EX Hatch

Potash - '91 Honda CRX HF
Talking CRX HF steal

Greetings all,

I have lurked here for years but never registered because well, I didn't have a project. Now I do, so here I be.

Just snagged a 91 CRX HF for $300, tad rough on the outside, needs a fender and paint, but shes pretty straight! Kid put a ebay header to coffee can tip exhaust on it - shudder, but didn't get around to molesting it any more.

I have a jap engine importer friend of 20 years who is onboard with helping me create a MPG monster out of this car, so I am trolling for advice!

What I have read is a really good path is the VX conversion, which can be done, but other ideas we have had are:

Drop to 1300cc using older block, retain stock injection, hop up compression ( I live a mile above sea level roughly )

Insight engine - adapt to HF transaxle - possible turbo to combat hills

Vtec modifications to drop center two cylinders at cruise speed

Other wierd non US Honda engines - he is an importer and goes there, and there's always a pile of non sellable " oddball " engines in the corner .. what did the Beat use? Any thoughts on using one of these unobtainable engines?

Aerodynamics - are ANY of the aftermarket front clips worth doing for aero? or just bling bling look at me my honda thinks its a bmw..

Wheels - I have a set of 13" Enkei aeronautics that feel pretty light, did some searches for HX and VX rims.. seem rare

Thats it for now, I will continue to read more threads, as I am certain some of these questions have been beaten to death

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Civic - '01 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 39.15 mpg (US)

Civic Hybrid - '05 Honda Civic Hybrid
Get some pictures of that thing posted! Sounds like a great project.

Is the car running now? If it is I'd focus on cleaning it up and replacing body panels before doing anything drastic like a motor swap. It should do pretty well in stock form, and if nothing else at least you can get some base mpg numbers to improve on.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Sounds like a fun project. Welcome to the forum!
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 02-05-2013, 02:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXellent View Post
Other wierd non US Honda engines - he is an importer and goes there, and there's always a pile of non sellable " oddball " engines in the corner .. what did the Beat use? Any thoughts on using one of these unobtainable engines?
The Honda Beat used a 0.66L 3cyl engine, maybe the only non-turbocharged one that achieved the 64hp limit for the K-cars in Japan, but I'd rather get a turbocharged one out of a Honda Acty microvan since it has a more suitable torque range
Old 02-05-2013, 02:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
You lucked out and scored an HF. Being super jealous as they were never sold up here, I will say that since you already have one of the icons of high FE (just look at the top 10 gasoline powered cars on this site), that you should consider leaving the current drivetrain in place. If I was in your shoes, I would spend my time and money on maximizing what a team of engineers with a big budget and the intention of making a high FE vehicle already gave you as a starting point. If you had gotten a decent CRX Si for that cheap, then a VX swap etc would be a great direction to look into. But man you found uranium at potash pricing!
Old 02-05-2013, 05:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

more info

Thanks for the welcome and comments.

Little more info as to why I am contemplating swaps. Shes got 295 on the odo, and smokes a bit, so at minimum rings, rods, mains, and a fresh head are in order.. so, if that's going to happen, I was pondering doing it on something else..don't HAVE to, just pondering!

In addition, there was a bit of horse trading with my friend, who owns the machine shop, I ended up giving him my 69 bug, converted to 96v electric drive, in exchange for "doing something neat" with the crx. ( please don't flame me all to dust for the bug trade, I commute 122 miles a day, and it just wont work for me, nothing in Utah is close enough in MY life, to run a vehicle with a 40 mile range, but he can ) therefore he is consenting to a lot of tech and trial and error, and using his connections for parts to help!

His shop builds hopped up 400 - 900hp ( on the dyno ) subaru sandrail engines, and is a large importer of used jap stuff as well. Onsite dyno, ECU remapping abilities, a lot of cool knowledge, and a old friend

We have for years messed around with engine swaps, transmission swaps, natural gas, propane, dual systems.. so its going to be more for fun, than a " cut a check, lets get this installed and seeya later" thing, if that makes any sense.

A million years ago, he sold me an 1800 cvcc engine which I put in my 77 civic, with a rare close ratio 5 speed, and that started the whole thing.. ( god I wish I had that car back now)

We are collecting the car to his shop Saturday, its about 75 miles away, and precautionary trailering it there is the plan. I will take pics and post, after its nested in a bay.

Sorry for rambling! I work a hideous shift, 330pm to 2am 5 days a week, with the 60.9 mi ea way commute, late night typing tends to be random!

Old 02-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Is that commute a long-term reality? That's a life-sucker - think of your time going down the drain! No other options?
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 02-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

yeah.

Its government contract work, so substantial pay, and I do not know if its log term. I recently started a company with the goal of retiring my fiancee', but if it keeps going nuts maybe I wont have the drive

Good morning!
Old 02-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Go with a body kit and dont loer the suspension.
I had an IMPUL body kit on the 02Q45. it was my initial mod. and I was getting 27mpg all the time. (hwy epa 22)

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Old 02-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Honda Insight wheels are smooth and light with good LRR tire options, rear insight brake drums are a perfect fit as well for a little less unsprung weight.

If you want to keep costs down and keep things simple then swapping in a low mile stock engine would be the easiest.
0w30 oil in the transmission is a good idea, it's supposed to be changed every other year and is often 20+ years old.
Making a Civic VX engine fit is more wiring then anything else.
Stock exhaust will help bring your mileage back up, it might also help with the oil consumption, to take notes.

Reply  Post New Thread