Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2018, 12:59 PM   #71 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Now they just need that 4 banger with a 6 mt in a suburban and 10 years from now I will buy a used one

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
Ecky (08-06-2018), niky (08-07-2018)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-05-2018, 01:15 PM   #72 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Winsight - '06 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 72.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thingstodo View Post
I work with guy that claims his 2019 Silverado does an instantaneous 6.0 l/100 km on the highway at 110 kph/70 mph.

Anyone with some data to post?

I am looking to replace my old SUV (Hyundai Santa Fe at 290K) ... doing maybe 11 l/100 km or 21 miles per us gallon. I would like some options when this vehicle dies. It may die tomorrow, it could take another 2 years ...

I think I NEED ground clearance more than 4 inches (honda civic) and can survive a gravel road at 55 mph, a railroad crossing at 60 mph. Would like electric or hybrid.

So far, Mitsubishi's Outlander Plugin hybrid looks reasonable. $55K canadian, no towing. Test drive went OK but it didn't scream 'BUY ME'.

If the 2019 Chevy Silverado will do 6-ish liters per 100 km or 40-ish miles per US gallon ... after warming up of course .. and it tows like a real truck ... I should add it to the list.
39.2mpg @ 70mph is hard to swallow. Independent testing shows most if not all EPA rated vehicles getting their highway rating between 65-70mph. No way the EPA gives this thing that kind of highway mpg.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:03 PM   #73 (permalink)
Thalmaturge

The Tinyvan - '07 Honda Fit Sport

Spicy Italian - '13 Fiat 500 Abarth

eBike - '94 Trek Mountain Track 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Now they just need that 4 banger with a 6 mt in a suburban and 10 years from now I will buy a used one
And that's why eco-models don't last long/sell well :-/
Old 08-05-2018, 04:58 PM   #74 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwichse View Post
And that's why eco-models don't last long/sell well :-/
I usually wait 20 years to buy the non eco models so that must be an improvement?
Old 08-05-2018, 09:17 PM   #75 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
I work with guy that claims his 2019 Silverado does an instantaneous 6.0 l/100 km on the highway at 110 kph/70 mph.

Anyone with some data to post?

I am looking to replace my old SUV (Hyundai Santa Fe at 290K) ... doing maybe 11 l/100 km or 21 miles per us gallon. I would like some options when this vehicle dies. It may die tomorrow, it could take another 2 years ...

I think I NEED ground clearance more than 4 inches (honda civic) and can survive a gravel road at 55 mph, a railroad crossing at 60 mph. Would like electric or hybrid.

So far, Mitsubishi's Outlander Plugin hybrid looks reasonable. $55K canadian, no towing. Test drive went OK but it didn't scream 'BUY ME'.

If the 2019 Chevy Silverado will do 6-ish liters per 100 km or 40-ish miles per US gallon ... after warming up of course .. and it tows like a real truck ... I should add it to the list.
Oh I believe it will do that for an instant, heck you could shut if off and it would be getting unlimited MPG for an instant. It could be a little downhill, or some tail wind, probably a little drafting involved. What he needs to do is get at least a 2 direction average over say 10 miles each way. Then also check his lie-o-meter vs actual fill ups over a few tanks to see how optimistic it is. Combine everything together and then maybe you have a tool to use in the future.

All that said, no way it will get 40 mpg average steady at 70 mph even fully warmed up and up to speed on a flat and windless highway over a distance. I might buy 30 mpg at 60, i bet it's more like 25 mpg at 70.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (08-07-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 11:13 AM   #76 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

40 mpg is hard to believe. It doesn't seem like any radical radical innovations that would suggest such a jump in mileage.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:21 AM   #77 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Oh I believe it will do that for an instant, heck you could shut if off and it would be getting unlimited MPG for an instant. It could be a little downhill, or some tail wind, probably a little drafting involved. What he needs to do is get at least a 2 direction average over say 10 miles each way. Then also check his lie-o-meter vs actual fill ups over a few tanks to see how optimistic it is. Combine everything together and then maybe you have a tool to use in the future.

All that said, no way it will get 40 mpg average steady at 70 mph even fully warmed up and up to speed on a flat and windless highway over a distance. I might buy 30 mpg at 60, i bet it's more like 25 mpg at 70.
It was a comment he made while we were discussing hybrids and electric vehicle options at lunch. The Mitsubishi Outlander fuel economy on gasoline is not that great. He asked why I would bother with all that when I could get a truck like his and do better.

He is not exactly an ecomodder. His mods tend toward lift kits, light bars, and other things that mess up the aero .... I'll ask what his range is on a fuel fill. I might be able to get that much information out of him.

I'm not really looking for a new truck, with the depreciation, taking it only to the dealership for service since no one else can service it, etc. But if my Hyundai lasts for a couple of years, a used model may be interesting ...
Old 08-06-2018, 02:07 PM   #78 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,801 Times in 938 Posts
Quote:
It was a comment he made while we were discussing hybrids and electric vehicle options at lunch. The Mitsubishi Outlander fuel economy on gasoline is not that great. He asked why I would bother with all that when I could get a truck like his and do better.

He is not exactly an ecomodder. His mods tend toward lift kits, light bars, and other things that mess up the aero .... I'll ask what his range is on a fuel fill. I might be able to get that much information out of him.

I'm not really looking for a new truck, with the depreciation, taking it only to the dealership for service since no one else can service it, etc. But if my Hyundai lasts for a couple of years, a used model may be interesting ...
Ah. He's like the diesel guys who say they get 25mpg *all day long, doesn't matter how I drive!* A symptom of poor record-keeping. Next time you see him, ask him why he doesn't get unlimited miles out of a tank, since you get infinite mpg on an instantaneous readout just by going downhill with engine braking.

Also, the guy doesn't even have a 2019...GM's CEO announced Friday that they would start shipping later this month. The EPA hasn't released figures for the Silverado yet, but they have for its twin, the GMC Sierra:

24 mpg in its most efficient trim, 2WD with the 5.3. I would be very, very surprised if the 4-cylinder Silverado hits 30 mpg. I'm betting 27 mpg highway.

Edit: I found a post on GMAuthority from last month about preliminary MPG numbers released by Chevrolet in June.

5.3L: 17/23/19
6.2L: 16/20/17

Combined figures are identical to the outgoing truck, and the 6.2L actually lost 1 mpg on the highway. Don't hold your breath for anything revolutionary here.

Update: Turns out they do have some 2019 Silverado trims up, but you can only get there via Google.

Last edited by Vman455; 08-06-2018 at 03:55 PM..
Old 08-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #79 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
Ah. He's like the diesel guys who say they get 25mpg *all day long, doesn't matter how I drive!* A symptom of poor record-keeping. Next time you see him, ask him why he doesn't get unlimited miles out of a tank, since you get infinite mpg on an instantaneous readout just by going downhill with engine braking.
My previous car, a 94 Honda Del Sol, was basically like that. I could get 27mpg city playing stoplight hero, or 30mpg city driving very conservatively. I got around 30mpg at 70mph, and 34-35mpg at 45mph. The variation in economy was much smaller than in my Insight even when scaled. I attribute it to poor gearing; 5th in that car was similar to 3rd in my current car, so drivetrain and pumping losses (which scale with speed) were relatively much larger, minimizing the apparent effects of higher speed or poor driving. It made fuel economy more "consistent" so long as the engine was running.

On the other hand, I was able to break 50mpg in that car with engine-off pulse and glide.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:43 PM   #80 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
It was a comment he made while we were discussing hybrids and electric vehicle options at lunch. The Mitsubishi Outlander fuel economy on gasoline is not that great. He asked why I would bother with all that when I could get a truck like his and do better ...
Well he is partially right in that respect, the little trucks haven't been that much better in economy than the full size. They often don't cost much less either. So you end up with a lot less passenger, payload, and towing ability for no good reason.

Reply  Post New Thread