Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008, 10:02 PM   #171 (permalink)
Box Dreamer
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pittsburg, CA
Posts: 154

xB Commuter - '04 Scion xB
90 day: 40.76 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not any aero mod yet. I want to change the rear shock first. I don't want to take out the mod again when I change it. I am thinking using window screen for both belly pan and grille block.

I remembered you told me the moon racing disc didn't give you much help in mpg. but, your grille gives you 2mpg. I don't notice the huge difference like yours. my mid grille block gives me 1mpg or less. I may block the lower grille later. Still, the greatest improvement is from my right foot. By the way, have you changed motor oil to 5W30? @ 65mph, I can run 38mpg. I feel the difference between 5W30 and 10W30. My xB is stick shift and running a lot of freeway.... If you change synthetic transmission oil and slow down to 60mph, you may get 40mpg. This is how I got there.

My scangauge needs few tanks to calibrate. It is not accurate at all. I don't trust the mpg number now, but tps gives me some guideline how my foot is doing.

__________________

Last edited by xbUser; 08-18-2008 at 10:09 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 08-18-2008, 11:28 PM   #172 (permalink)
It is a laughing matter
 
ROFL Box's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Des Moines, Ia
Posts: 49

The ROFL Box - '05 Scion xB
90 day: 46.85 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just went on another road trip for a car show (and a week of daily driving)

484 on 9.8
__________________
2005 Scion xB - From and made of parts unknown
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:41 AM   #173 (permalink)
Boxy is Sexy
 
Z man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: WV
Posts: 122

xBox - '05 Scion xB
90 day: 40.85 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Z man
Am I the only automatic box in here?

I have Yokohama Avid TRZ's set to 40 psi, 44 or 48 sounds like quite a lot!
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:14 AM   #174 (permalink)
Box Dreamer
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pittsburg, CA
Posts: 154

xB Commuter - '04 Scion xB
90 day: 40.76 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rofl Box, you are amazing. I can't imagine how to get that high mpg. Once I calibrate the scangauge, I will tape around my car, like yours. 49mpg in xB is like a dream.

Zman, I have Yokohama Avid TRZ tires on Civic and xB before. They are very good tires. I didn't make it to 40psi as the gas price is not like today. I believe it can handle 44psi, which is max on tire wall. Try it. If you don't like the ride, go back to 40psi. My experience told me 48psi with stock size is too much. The ABS activates a lot.(losing too much traction surface) By the way, 40psi to 44psi will give you about 0.5mpg. Automatic is good on freeway. At least, you don't have to reviv to 3000rpm for only 60mph.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:50 PM   #175 (permalink)
Boxy is Sexy
 
Z man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: WV
Posts: 122

xBox - '05 Scion xB
90 day: 40.85 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Z man
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbUser View Post
Rofl Box, you are amazing. I can't imagine how to get that high mpg. Once I calibrate the scangauge, I will tape around my car, like yours. 49mpg in xB is like a dream.

Zman, I have Yokohama Avid TRZ tires on Civic and xB before. They are very good tires. I didn't make it to 40psi as the gas price is not like today. I believe it can handle 44psi, which is max on tire wall. Try it. If you don't like the ride, go back to 40psi. My experience told me 48psi with stock size is too much. The ABS activates a lot.(losing too much traction surface) By the way, 40psi to 44psi will give you about 0.5mpg. Automatic is good on freeway. At least, you don't have to reviv to 3000rpm for only 60mph.
Yeah I will try 44psi or 43psi. My tank is at 472.2 miles, I probably have less than a gallon left.
I get frustrated with the auto because on flat roads I have to go >40mph, hills >50mph, to keep it from shifting down. So in a 30mph zone, I can manage 4th gear at 35mph until I hit a slight incline and then it shifts down, and sometimes back up and down again! (cops like to hide here)
I may get some black duct tape and make temporary wheel skirts or something. I usually have a passenger and make many short trips, but hopefully rock solid tires can get my average to >40mpg!
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:10 PM   #176 (permalink)
Box Dreamer
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pittsburg, CA
Posts: 154

xB Commuter - '04 Scion xB
90 day: 40.76 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
zman,
you didn't miss a lot on auto. The min. rpm I shift to 5th is 35mph. In fact, between 35mph and 40mph, 4th and 5th doesn't make a lot of differences. In that territory, your foot saves you more gas than gear. Above 40mph, 5th gear saves more gas than 4th. On hills, I still can use 5th gear, but gives me no power at all. In some situation, I can't even hold the rpm anymore. Again, your foot saves you more gas. Most small car drives better with manual, but I pretty like auto on xB since the gear ratio is too close, making the car too noisy and busy.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:56 PM   #177 (permalink)
Boxy is Sexy
 
Z man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: WV
Posts: 122

xBox - '05 Scion xB
90 day: 40.85 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Z man
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbUser View Post
zman,
you didn't miss a lot on auto. The min. rpm I shift to 5th is 35mph. In fact, between 35mph and 40mph, 4th and 5th doesn't make a lot of differences. In that territory, your foot saves you more gas than gear. Above 40mph, 5th gear saves more gas than 4th. On hills, I still can use 5th gear, but gives me no power at all. In some situation, I can't even hold the rpm anymore. Again, your foot saves you more gas. Most small car drives better with manual, but I pretty like auto on xB since the gear ratio is too close, making the car too noisy and busy.
That is pretty close. I take it you have driven an auto?
Much easier I must say.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:03 PM   #178 (permalink)
Boxhead
 
whokilledthejams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fredonia, NY
Posts: 322

Boxy Brown - '04 Scion xB
90 day: 35.48 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to whokilledthejams
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbUser View Post
Not any aero mod yet. I want to change the rear shock first. I don't want to take out the mod again when I change it. I am thinking using window screen for both belly pan and grille block.

I remembered you told me the moon racing disc didn't give you much help in mpg. but, your grille gives you 2mpg. I don't notice the huge difference like yours. my mid grille block gives me 1mpg or less. I may block the lower grille later. Still, the greatest improvement is from my right foot. By the way, have you changed motor oil to 5W30? @ 65mph, I can run 38mpg. I feel the difference between 5W30 and 10W30. My xB is stick shift and running a lot of freeway.... If you change synthetic transmission oil and slow down to 60mph, you may get 40mpg. This is how I got there.

My scangauge needs few tanks to calibrate. It is not accurate at all. I don't trust the mpg number now, but tps gives me some guideline how my foot is doing.
I'm due for an oil change right now (but I'm waiting to get paid-- switching from weekly to biweekly pay SUCKS), so I am likely going to go with 0W30 synthetic, and transmission oil will get done eventually.

I also want to build a tray under the car behind the rear axle. It seems to be low-hanging fruit, as aeromods go, and probably good for a couple mpg at high speeds.

I wish I had the nerve to go slower, and cruise control. I'll probably spring for CC if I find myself faced with driving more than ~100 miles at a stretch, even if only because I find it cuts down on fatigue a great deal, despite not being a perfect fuel-saving device.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:55 PM   #179 (permalink)
It is a laughing matter
 
ROFL Box's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Des Moines, Ia
Posts: 49

The ROFL Box - '05 Scion xB
90 day: 46.85 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive been playing with EOC alot again lately...

My exit for work is down a slight hill so I get to shut the car off and coast downhill for a good mile and a half... Im going to try to do some vids of how I drive back and forth to work for you guys... so we will see how that works... as of right now the car isnt taped, and Im going to run a tank of gass out of it to see what happens just off of my driving style, for those of you that dont want to go into vehicle mods, I even dropped the belly pan, not because I wanted to, but because it recently came loose and i really dont feel like lying under the car to put it back on when i have to get the exhaust finished next week...

Ill try to get the vids tomorrow, and upload them sometime in the near future, as im getting ready to move and dont know when ill be back online...
__________________
2005 Scion xB - From and made of parts unknown
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:58 AM   #180 (permalink)
Boxy is Sexy
 
Z man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: WV
Posts: 122

xBox - '05 Scion xB
90 day: 40.85 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Z man
I'd like to see a video!
If I had a camcorder I'd do it.

I need an oil change so bad. I'm poor though!

I got my best mileage mostly from using quick accel and then hitting 40-50mph and keeping around there. I was surprised that I could have hit 500 miles on one tank though!

__________________
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Tags
driving techniques, mod, mpg, scion xb

Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com