Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2016, 03:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Semi-serious ecomodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I think it's pretty clear that guy gets his retirement checks from Mobile Oil... if not his non-retirement checks
I personally by whatever semi-synthetic is on sale. Most recently $25 for 5 quarts of Valvoline high mileage semi-syn and a Wix filter. Good to go.
I'm not a chemist, but I used to change oil at Valvoline, avoid their semi synthetics like the plague. The semi sludges faster than anything, and the full is about 30% synthetic.
On the little Valvoline charts, their conventional does as well as the semi synthetic, and the full doesn't do much better.
They make GREAT transmission fluid and racing oil. But holy crap don'tt use their semi synthetics.

You can SMELL, Valvoline semi synthetic. As crude and unscientific as my claim, you notice a "smell" from cars that haven't had their oil changed for 8-15k miles. The max life semi would get that smell earlier than any other we saw. All of the employees with fords complained of valve train noise, and others would complain about the extreme oil consumption.

The corporate managers would make a big deal to use the semi in their cars, because they knew ALL of the employees had suspicions of the semi synthetic. Not saying oil techs are geniuses but we've drained the oil out of thousands of cars, and we know what we saw lol. I use Valvoline oils, but NOT the semi synthetic maxlife.

I want to sayy the Valvoline evaporation point for some of its additives etc is about 30-50°f lower than other brands, and that was the main factor. But there were a couple good points to it too. But overall, the bad points of the oil were too bad to ignore.

Valvoline makes good stuff, their racing oil is great, and their conventional is arguably the best conventional. The semi synthetic is a slyly worded profit game. Pennzoil makes a good semi synthetic, and platinum is good from what I remember. I don't hate Valvoline, just the maxlife.

Last edited by ChillyBear; 07-06-2016 at 03:56 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChillyBear For This Useful Post:
Hersbird (07-07-2016), Xist (07-06-2016)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-06-2016, 04:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Wow I poked a hole in a bee hive. My back ground is a technician since 2004 working on cars and now I work as a fleet technician on one of the most abused fleet in america. My hobby is racing my turbo miata and I am very particular about what oils and fluids I use to keep this thing in top shape. I was at one point only using royal purple oils and other high end oils but after much research and talking with other racers and again research online and knowing pros that have had oil tested after sever track seasons abuse it seems for the price there is nothing better.. this oil may be overkill on my little vx but I figure if it can withstand track abuse then it's going in my daily. I could care less about what you put in your engine just sharing my thoughts with this forum and hope it will help others. I live in the south and I know up north the 0-20w will be best for severe winters. I know people here trying to squeeze every bit of mpg to save money and I know a good oil will keep that engine happy for many miles and that's my plan, drive this 93vx till 1 million miles non of the new cars come close to vx mpg and cost of ownership and as a technician that's why I own 2. The other is my wife 96 odyssey van and the miata turbo. All get the same oil. Everyone has a opinion on what oil they use or love, mine is the shell rottela t6.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
I'm very open to new information about oils, but I don't tend to take testimonials very seriously. That's not to say you're not welcome to share, but some teardown pics or hard data would be appreciated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
mcrews (07-06-2016), Xist (07-06-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 07:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Please research rotella t6 on Google or YouTube look and read the many forum's. Just like I come here to learn more about getting better mpg information about my civic vx or other great mpg cars, there are many forum memebers that review t6 and have done oil analysis to back up data. Just normal people like members here take samples of oils they try and test different kinds and so far the t6 has come up top many many times and for how cheap and easy it is to find it is.. do a simple search and see or take my word on it. On my turbo miata my personal experience is the oil pressure would not drop as bad when hot and racing as it would with other oils I have used.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
I got best results with Honda Green oil which is even thinner than 0w20.
Sadly Honda does no longer support it, but regular 0w20 is close. Winter economy suffered marginally.

But then I do not race my car. It seldom sees revs over 2000.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomonkeyboricua View Post
Please research rotella t6 on Google or YouTube look and read the many forum's. ve used.
you don't get it do you?

I actually DID research and google and then you come back (without answering our questions and ask US to google.

Why don't you do some work and provide some FACTS as requested by two posters.

We are a GREAT fact believing community.
We follow the theory of ABA testing.

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcrews For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (07-08-2016), RedDevil (07-07-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 10:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I did work I posted here for everyone to know what the best oil is. I am not going to spoon feed you. I'm not going to pull apart my engine for you to be happy there are plenty of videos on YouTube and pictures on forum's to see results, also many bikers and diesel guys love this oil as well.. since you said you Google t6 why don't you post what you found. That would be more helpful to everyone else here. Since all I have done is provided the end result of all that work.. what's the point of re inventing the wheel. For everyone else reading try it out if you don't like it or get horrible mpg with this oil then add to the post thanks.. I may be willing to sacrifice 1 mpg for the extra protection.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:22 AM   #18 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Unsubscribed
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
mcrews (07-07-2016), RedDevil (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 04:17 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Gazers Car - '09 Nissan Pixo N-TEC
90 day: 44.34 mpg (US)
What i would consider to be a high quality oil is AC DELCO Supreme Plus 5W30 Fully Synthetic. At one stage, i was buying 5L off ebay for £20, but now for some reason it has almost disappeared of the shelves (or gone up vastly in price). It doesn’t smell like regular oil and after a 8000 miles, still come out clean from my cam-chained engine. Ultimately, i think its false economy using very high-end oils other than on high performance engines, but i also want to get the best out of my little 1L as well.
I think the original post does sound a bit of a planted advertisement for the manufactures.
The Following User Says Thank You to herbivor For This Useful Post:
mcrews (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 06:57 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomonkeyboricua View Post
. since you said you Google t6 why don't you post what you found. That would be more helpful to everyone else here. .
........I googled "best synth oil". AND I posted my results. That's how REAL research works... ...you don't assume an answer.
ESPECIALLY when the 'answer' is being provided without any documentation or proof.

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Reply  Post New Thread