Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #81 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
If you are trying to imply that a 7hp series generator can replace a 25hp engine, you have some explaining to do.
Heck, it's easy to do! All you need is the generator, filter its output into some HHO cells to generate some Brown's Gas, feed the output into a normal engine with one of them Tornado thingies in the intake (be sure to flow the gasoline powering the generator through two of them Fuel Saver magnets first), swap out the engine and generator oil with some of that Teflon-enhanced oil additive, gut the catalytic converter because it blocks exhaust flow, install spark gaps on the ignition systems of the generator and engine, and top the car off with one of them Ram Implosion wings!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-15-2011, 09:02 PM   #82 (permalink)
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
t_vago that is a HUGELY inefficient way to use the generators output.

it would be far far far more efficient to ditch the gas motor and use an electric motor run off the genny. 4 times more efficient at least. ie you need 4 times more generator power to get the same thing via HHO.

the trick with using a generator as I see it IE a generator one of us mere mortals can afford is going to be "ACCELERATION"

cruising and charging is no problem as I see it but that genny can not produce the 400 amps minimum your going to need to accelerate from a STOP.

so some sort of batter pack hybrid drive type deal is going to be needed. use the battery and genny power to accelerate from a stop and once at cruising use excess power to replenish the battery for the next acceleration.

I can not afford to even attempt such a project and it would still require a rather large generator. I don't think my 4500 watt unit would cut it even if I could afford the electric controller and motor.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #83 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Frank Lee (07-17-2011)
Old 07-16-2011, 01:16 AM   #84 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Best Star Trek captain ever.
dcb (07-17-2011)
Old 07-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #85 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
itcanbedone

What brand/type of genset are you using, what motor, controller and car is this in? I also wonder what speeds you typically operate.

I am curious because I have always wanted to build one out of my fathers darallect yugo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Nonetheless, If you go to home depot and get an $800 generator, and plug your charger into it so you can recharge your batteries while driving your EV, you have a formula for a very inefficient hybrid.
I guess we need to quantify here. I think everybody probably agrees and doesn't realize it.

IFF you are charging batteries YES a serial hybrid is very inefficient regardless of the situation. (but you can still size the motor to a much more appropriate size)

Ideally you DON"T want to charge anything but instead run the electric motor directly off the output of the genset (preferably a modern high efficiency or diesel) which believe it or not is almost always at least as efficient in serial if not more so than most 70's era car engines.

Historically where a serial hybrid shines is when the driver plans on driving at low speeds with a very small genset that is matched to the speed they plan to go.

I know for certain there were multiple 50mpg-80mpg serial hybrids made in the 70's era, the primary reason for these figures was because the owners were running the vehicles either slowly or they had a very lightweight somewhat aero chassis that simply had rather poor stock motor tune & gearing as most vehicles of that era did.

So a serial hybrid can make it easier to size your motor appropriately for the speed you wish to go and still have the advantage of an EV high power drivetrain to get your speed up.

I don't think anyone can really disregard the above, because real life there are many examples of serial hybrids in the 50-80mpg area, many documented in some of our favorite magazines from that time.

HOWEVER, saying that a homemade serial hybrid in a normal 4klb+ vehicle going 85mph down the highway can compete efficiency wise with modern motors is simply wrong. It can easily compete and exceed at low speeds VRS a normal motor non-hypermiling due to the extremely poor band you usually operate in at those speeds.

So I guess its a case of using the right tool for the job, I wanted to convert my fathers YUGO when I was a teen to a serial EV, might have actually done better than the 28mpg poorly tuned 4sp pig that was in there, 1000lbs and CD of .4.

Cheers
Ryan
Old 07-16-2011, 06:46 PM   #86 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

StolenHoopty - '90 Honda Accord EX

HvyDrnkr - '93 Cadillac Seville
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
Best Star Trek captain ever.
I will respectfully disagree.

Captain Kirk all the way, baby.

Big n' Boxy, Never met a Hill it Didn't Like
Old 07-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #87 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
itcanbedone

What brand/type of genset are you using, what motor, controller and car is this in? I also wonder what speeds you typically operate.

I am curious because I have always wanted to build one out of my fathers darallect yugo.

I guess we need to quantify here. I think everybody probably agrees and doesn't realize it.

IFF you are charging batteries YES a serial hybrid is very inefficient regardless of the situation. (but you can still size the motor to a much more appropriate size)

Ideally you DON"T want to charge anything but instead run the electric motor directly off the output of the genset (preferably a modern high efficiency or diesel) which believe it or not is almost always at least as efficient in serial if not more so than most 70's era car engines.

Historically where a serial hybrid shines is when the driver plans on driving at low speeds with a very small genset that is matched to the speed they plan to go.

I know for certain there were multiple 50mpg-80mpg serial hybrids made in the 70's era, the primary reason for these figures was because the owners were running the vehicles either slowly or they had a very lightweight somewhat aero chassis that simply had rather poor stock motor tune & gearing as most vehicles of that era did.

So a serial hybrid can make it easier to size your motor appropriately for the speed you wish to go and still have the advantage of an EV high power drivetrain to get your speed up.

I don't think anyone can really disregard the above, because real life there are many examples of serial hybrids in the 50-80mpg area, many documented in some of our favorite magazines from that time.

HOWEVER, saying that a homemade serial hybrid in a normal 4klb+ vehicle going 85mph down the highway can compete efficiency wise with modern motors is simply wrong. It can easily compete and exceed at low speeds VRS a normal motor non-hypermiling due to the extremely poor band you usually operate in at those speeds.

So I guess its a case of using the right tool for the job, I wanted to convert my fathers YUGO when I was a teen to a serial EV, might have actually done better than the 28mpg poorly tuned 4sp pig that was in there, 1000lbs and CD of .4.

Cheers
Ryan
You've seen this one right? Electric Car Conversion: The Amazing 75-MPG Hybrid Car

Old 07-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #88 (permalink)

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
that link is fascinating but useless. it contains NO details. lawnmower engine??

a 3.5 hp freebie lawnmower engine is a 25hp twin V engine most of us can't afford?

alternatives for that jet starter motor? 400watts is all he needs for 2100 pounds?? wow I want that.

4 batteries? I can do that. I already have them.

controller for $25. we NEED DETAILS ON THAT NOW that is my BIGGEST limiting factor. I simply can not afford the $2000 for a controller under any conditions.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #89 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

The plans are still available. The details are there along with follow up articles from the guy who built the Opel along with a truck using the same principles that are being discussed. Here are the links:

HYBRID CAR BLUEPRINT

EARTH DIARY: 1993 Updateave Arthurs' Amazing Hybrid Electric Car

Old 07-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #90 (permalink)

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
Will have to read that when I get home. what we really need is a source for usable motors (or list of usable motors) and the power needed (minimum) in the lawnmower engine AND the kicker. the details on controlling the electricity and the parts to make it for the $25 price tag (or anything $300 or less that will do the same job)

then we CAN ALL start doing this. I already have a nice donor vehicle handy that I WOULD LOVE to convert. a 96 plymouth voyager. I would have to use a larger electric motor (since its 3200 pounds) or two of them but thats ok.

I am not willing to pay $25 for those plans without knowing if they will actually contain USABLE information to affordable convert my car to this style hybrid.

I was getting ready to put a geo metro drive train in it hoping for 40mpg but feared that little engine and clutch would not be able to handle inclines.

I have plenty of gasoline engines from 3.5 hp to 15hp plenty of car batteries (6 actually all good) and a donor vehicle. I just need the motor and controller details (CHEAP)

Reply  Post New Thread