Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2011, 10:14 PM   #121 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ladogaboy - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
Team Emperor
90 day: 27.64 mpg (US)

E85 EVO - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artan View Post
Can somebody (oil or engine expert) help answer why my engine didnt suffer a single problem since i drove double over the limit what was recommended by the manufacturers. I was supposed to change the oil after 15000 km or 12 months but now i drove 35000 km and 19 months? Catrol Edge Turbodiesel 5W-40. I still continue to drive with the same oil.
You know who would be an oil expert? The person at the lab you send your oil to for analysis.

I've driven double the recommended mileage on oil once before, but I knew I had only been doing very easy driving. Even then, I don't make a habit of it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-25-2011, 04:28 AM   #122 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Why the ball bearings on the wheels last for decades although they are lubricated with the lowest quality lubricant (grease) compare to ball bearings in the engine that are lubricated by a very sophisticated oil that is also filtered!?

The metal surfaces with the modern technology are very slick so the friction between them is extremely minimal, add oil to it and its imposible to make wear occurr.

As long as the oil it is not loosing its quantity and its shape it meants it is there and it will do its job. If it is consumed or lost it means something is wrong and then you need to fill it up or change it.

Considering these facts logically i will never change the oil in my car as long as the oil is staying in a similar shape with the new one.

After 35000 km or 22000 Miles my oil is perfect. If you are brave enough follow my advice. I will lead 35000 km ahead of you.

Last edited by Artan; 10-25-2011 at 07:44 AM..

Old 10-25-2011, 09:10 AM   #123 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

As I've said before, you like to live in a very simple world...

Increasing levels of acids and contaminants and degradation of the additives are the main reason to change the oil - things that can't be tested by dabbing it on your fingers and rubbing them together...

Comparing bicycle wheel bearings to engine bearings isn't even a remotely close comparison.

You'll be using oil shortly, so eventually you'll have a steady flow of fresh oil in the engine - like it or not. Then you can ask yourself if it's better to change the oil regularly or just keep refreshing it 1 qt at a time.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:24 AM   #124 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
Comparing bicycle wheel bearings to engine bearings isn't even a remotely close comparison.
I said wheels ball bearings meaning on the wheels of cars, trucks, busses etc.

Which acid do you mean where the acid will come from!? if the acid will go in the oil why the oil level does not increase!?

Small amount of smoke from the combustion chamber is totally nothing as it will not harm oil at all. The oil does not mix with other liquids.

Think logical dont be based on what others tell you.

It takes a genious to see the obvious. - Einstein said.

Compare ball bearings oil (lowest quality lubricat; grease) with the engine oil. Why we never change the grease on the wheel ball baerings and they last for decades!?

Last edited by Artan; 10-25-2011 at 10:30 AM..

Old 10-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #125 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hot Tamale - '10 Toyota Prius III
Artan, you obviously have very little knowledge of internal combustion engines. Either that or you are a troll. I only hope that you come to your senses before your engine is ruined.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #126 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Older wheel bearings (most of which are roller bearings or tapered roller bearings, not ball bearings) do need to have the grease changed out periodically. Newer ones assume that they will be replaced every decade or so; they are sealed to prevent dirt from getting in. And grease is not "lower quality" than oil.

There are few if any ball bearings or roller bearings in any modern engine. Almost all of the ones in there are plain-bearing ones. This is for many reasons, very definitely including cost! Also, roller bearings are (if my understanding is correct) less able to withstand the massive compression loads that the connecting rods put on the rod journals on the crank.

The acids are formed by combustion gases, primarily. A little bit of those gases will go past the piston rings down into the crankcase. (This is "blow-by", and you will likely be seeing a good amount of it in a few more years.) Some of what is in these gases winds up in the oil, though most of it winds up coming out of the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system and getting burned in the combustion chambers again. The stuff from the gases builds up in the oil gradually, and some of it forms acids.

Those aren't too good for the insides of your engine, as you might imagine.

Do you have an oil pressure gauge? If not, I would strongly recommend one. You might be surprised at how the oil pressure changes over time.

...Rats, I remember a thread from one forum where they kept one fill of oil in a car (a Camaro, possibly? some big V8 thing) for 20,000 miles or so, and sent a sample off to Blackstone every 1000 or 2000 miles. The oil was plenty worn out at the end, I believe that the author mentioned that when he changed his oil the hydraulic lifters quieted back down again--they had gotten loud gradually, so he hadn't really noticed. I'll try to Google that up some time.

-soD

Old 10-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #127 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...oil life depends ALOT upon what kind of carbon is being accumulated in the oil:

• carbon can be soft, as in graphite (pencil lead).

• carbon can be flexible, as in nano-carbon.

• carbon can be hard, as in diamonds.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #128 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Brothers idiot father in law bought a 1966 Olds Toronado brand new. Drove it 40k on the original oil until the engine locked up. Plenty of dummies to learn lessons the hard way. He also cracked the block on a 1932 Bentley becasue he was to cheap to buy antifreeze when the water pump was leaking.

Why waste your time. He will not come here when his motor flies apart and admit he was wrong.

regards
Mech

Old 10-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #129 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ladogaboy - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
Team Emperor
90 day: 27.64 mpg (US)

E85 EVO - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Brothers idiot father in law bought a 1966 Olds Toronado brand new. Drove it 40k on the original oil until the engine locked up. Plenty of dummies to learn lessons the hard way. He also cracked the block on a 1932 Bentley becasue he was to cheap to buy antifreeze when the water pump was leaking.

Why waste your time. He will not come here when his motor flies apart and admit he was wrong.

regards
Mech
Hah! That reminds me of a story my dad told me about my grandfather. He never changed his oil, but he would buy a new car every 3-4 years (before the car had a chance to fail completely). My dad would inherit the cars, and either sell them or keep them depending on the car. On one car, when my dad finally did the servicing, he thought someone had put gear oil in the motor because it ran out like sludge.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #130 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Once, my dad waited an entire year before changing the oil in his work van. The stuff flowed out like molasses. Oddly enough, the van was peppier after the oil change. It was almost like the old molasses-oil was holding back the engine in his van!

Closed Thread  Post New Thread