Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2020, 06:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,546 Times in 7,035 Posts
Quote:
My ignorance on the subject is because I'm not curious enough to Google it.
Good for you. Resist that temptation.

In other news, the browser I use was acquired by System1. tech.slashdot.org: Alternative Browser 'Waterfox' Acquired By System1 (waterfox.net)
Quote:
Long-time Slashdot reader Freshly Exhumed contextualized the news with this brief history of the alternate browser ecosystem:
As the usage share of web browsers continues to show a lopsideded dominance by Google Chrome, many previously-independent browsers have fallen by the wayside or have been reinvented as Chrome variants (i.e. Opera, Edge, Brave). Apple forges on with its Safari browser while other, smaller projects tend to be quite limited for multi-platform users, such as Dolphin and Bromite.
Alex Kontos is a developer who attempted to provide continuity with dropped Firefox capabilities in his multi-platform Waterfox browser, proudly declaring that Firefox's user data sharing and telemetry collection was not included. For that privacy focus a certain popularity of Waterfox occurred. Now Kontos has revealed that his Waterfox project has been sold to System1, a company describing itself as "a consumer internet and applications company with the most powerful audience expansion platform in the industry."
Quote:
Also notice startpage.com (Score:5, Interesting)
by higuita ( 129722 ) on Sunday February 16, 2020 @05:03PM (#59733968)

the privacy search engine starpage.com was also acquired by the same company back in November (but hidden behind other shell companies). so also be careful with that one
Flag as Inappropriate

Quote:
Re:

It's very suspicious because Waterfox is basically going nowhere. The old extensions are mostly abandoned and the browser will never complete with Firefox on performance.

So what value do they see in owning it?
Quote:
Re:Also notice startpage.com (Score:5, Insightful)
by higuita ( 129722 ) on Sunday February 16, 2020 @06:05PM (#59734094)

Probably the same objective as startpage, monitor and quantify people that are outside the other tracking platforms. Both waterfox and startpage are used by people that want to avoid tracking, so they want to track those people to quantify the market. They can sell what other companies can't, tracked and untracked people profiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r
There's that report of a man from Japan contracting the virus in Hawaii...I feel like it's only a matter of time before lots of cases are discovered in the continental US. I'm in NYC so my chances are very high :/
I'm following Dr. John Campbell. He seems to know what he's talking about.

I love the smell of irony in the morning -- Elon Musk
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (02-17-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-17-2020, 07:34 PM   #22 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,372 Times in 3,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Good for you. Resist that temptation.
I know you well enough to know that you're referring to resisting the temptation to feed Google, not the temptation to be informed, just to make it clear to everyone else.

I like your jabs, but I probably miss half of the references.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
freebeard (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 08:14 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,546 Times in 7,035 Posts
Quote:
I like your jabs, but I probably miss half of the references.
You don't know the half of it.

I love the smell of irony in the morning -- Elon Musk
Old 02-17-2020, 09:26 PM   #24 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
There's that report of a man from Japan contracting the virus in Hawaii...I feel like it's only a matter of time before lots of cases are discovered in the continental US. I'm in NYC so my chances are very high :/
We're heading to Hawaii this weekend, maybe we'll bring it back the next.

I feel safer taking the kids there than I ever did taking them to NYC. Driving in Manhattan is pretty adventurous. Parking, more so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 02-18-2020, 05:17 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
You know, instead of speculating and imagining weird conspiracies based on whatever TV you've watched about North Korea or the Soviet Union (which are not China), you can Google yourself to find every other article talking about all the official praise he's getting (highlighting that this is a very rare phenomenon in China too):
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ch/4688827002/

He didn't announce the disease, he messaged some doctor friends saying there were cases of SARS. The police brought him in, then he went straight home and was not booked in jail, then came down with the virus and died in the hospital. You can also easily find this if you read some news articles, which y'all clearly didn't.

State media and high level officials have called him a hero, but that's pretty ironic IMO because he didn't set out to warn people at all, it's just that since he died (publicly announced) that public anger exploded.

Come on, this forum is supposed to have fact-based, intelligent discourse, I know you're better than this, redpoint5 and hayden55. I don't want to see the stupidity of the internet reach here.
The man and all 7 of his buddies were booked on misdemeanors for spreading lies and false rumors. All eight of them were required to sign for their crimes and discontinue their conversations about the new virus resembling the coronavirus of 2003 which can spread from human to human. At the time the chinese government was telling everyone it was just wuhan pneumonia and that it was peak flu season. They only reversed the ruling weeks later and announced him a hero later after it was clearly diagnosed as the coronavirus at emergency level after extreme public outrage.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-d...or-li-wenliang

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...pitalised-over

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/02/15...red-the-world/

It will be interesting to watch. Wuhan is a huge manufacturing hub. Its effecting businesses here that manufacture from parts produced in Wuhan.

Last edited by hayden55; 02-18-2020 at 06:32 PM..
Old 02-18-2020, 07:37 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
The man and all 7 of his buddies were booked on misdemeanors for spreading lies and false rumors. All eight of them were required to sign for their crimes and discontinue their conversations about the new virus resembling the coronavirus of 2003 which can spread from human to human. At the time the chinese government was telling everyone it was just wuhan pneumonia and that it was peak flu season. They only reversed the ruling weeks later and announced him a hero later after it was clearly diagnosed as the coronavirus at emergency level after extreme public outrage.
I owe you an apology as well for my outburst!

I believe the definition of "booked" requires incarceration; "reprimanded" is more appropriate since there isn't punishment. It's colloquially referred to as "going for tea/coffee" at the police station in Singapore and China (and iirc it was more common elsewhere in Asia in decades past). The police tell you they're not happy and you need to stop, you confess and agree to stop and all is well, worse things happen if you don't.

The public outrage is not because he was mistreated, it's because the (technically false) rumor he started turned out to be close to the truth in severity. I think it's more accurate to say his reputation was uplifted by the central govt after the situation got bad: https://twitter.com/caixin/status/1223264674495361024 (article behind paywall, but I had seen it somewhere else)

The politics is interesting since you have the central govt which has been seen as tightening censorship over the years using this example to attack the local govt. They pretty much have to reduce censorship in some way after this. Playing devil's advocate though, if those doctors weren't silenced, the disease would still have spread just as fast, and it's very tough to make the disruptive call for people to stay home before more is known about a disease.

China aside, epidemics are exactly when you need to rely on good ole big gov't to tell you what to do, because it's impossible to get enough people to listen to a non-official warning. The CDC here is basically saying don't worry too much, and as a result people are still out and about, even though it's in the news everyday. I actually felt pretty nervous riding the packed subway today...but I still did it.

What procedures people come up with to streamline bureaucracy to tackle epidemics faster in the future is going to be the important lesson.

Last edited by serialk11r; 02-18-2020 at 07:54 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
hayden55 (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 07:59 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
At least there is a new treatment available for people suffering from the Corona virus.
Or more precisely: an old treatment...

https://www.clinicaltrialsarena.com/...oroquine-data/
Quote:
Early data from clinical trials being performed in China has revealed that chloroquine phosphate could help treat the new coronavirus disease, Covid-19.
Data from the drug’s studies showed ‘certain curative effect’ with ‘fairly good efficacy’.

According to Sun, patients treated with chloroquine demonstrated a better drop in fever, improvement of lung CT images, and required a shorter time to recover compared to parallel groups.

The percentage of patients with negative viral nucleic acid tests was also higher with the anti-malarial drug.

Chloroquine has so far showed no obvious serious adverse reactions in the more than 100 participants in the trials.
Quote:
Chloroquine was discovered in 1934 by Hans Andersag.[3][4] It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the safest and most effective medicines needed in a health system.[5] It is available as a generic medication.[1] The wholesale cost in the developing world is about US$0.04.[6] In the United States, it costs about US$5.30 per dose.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:26 AM   #28 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,099 Times in 970 Posts
So we should be drinking gin & tonics?
Old 02-19-2020, 05:24 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
So we should be drinking gin & tonics?
That's quinine, not chloroquine.
Quote:
Quinine is a medication used to treat malaria and babesiosis.[2] This includes the treatment of malaria due to Plasmodium falciparum that is resistant to chloroquine when artesunate is not available.
I don't think it helps against the Corona virus like chloroquine does, but at least it tastes bitter and intensifies your sunburn. Yeah, useful.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:00 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)

They do say there is effective treatments that reduce the fatal outcomes of the disease. Similar to pneumonia treatment where they put you on a respirator. But china isnt doing that so it doesn't matter much. Too many infected to try it. Per what was reported on the original outbreak in 2003. Video unrelated to treatment but a good outline of the current outbreak.
One thing I think is fishy is the 2% fatality record being reported. In 2002-2003 it was 10% of all people infected died from the disease.

I have noticed its pretty hard to order parts from alibaba and the like right now.
Here is what the CDC says on receiving packages from China:
Q: Am I at risk for COVID-19 from a package or products shipping from China?
A: There is still a lot that is unknown about the newly emerged COVID-19 and how it spreads. Two other coronaviruses have emerged previously to cause severe illness in people (MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV). The virus that causes COVID-19 is more genetically related to SARS-CoV than MERS-CoV, but both are betacoronaviruses with their origins in bats. While we don’t know for sure that this virus will behave the same way as SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV, we can use the information gained from both of these earlier coronaviruses to guide us. In general, because of poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces, there is likely very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures. Coronaviruses are generally thought to be spread most often by respiratory droplets. Currently there is no evidence to support transmission of COVID-19 associated with imported goods and there have not been any cases of COVID-19 in the United States associated with imported goods. Information will be provided on the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) website as it becomes available.