Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2014, 06:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Needs More Duct Tape

Slambo - '99 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 44.21 mpg (US)
Thanks, Daox!

My goal - after achieving a (hopefully) easy 50 MPG - is to produce an entertaining half hour series pilot with Slambo ... and if the car isn't too rough, take it to the SEMA show in November. I'm thinking of this one as a test mule, rather than a show pony, so it won't be getting a $5K paint job. (ha!)

I've posted an intro video and a overview review of the JVC unit (still figuring it out) in my YouTube channel so far. I didn't want to appear to be too promotional by pushing the stuff here on EcoModder. Let me know what's okay and I'll stay between the lines.

I have a slew of crazy ideas and have collected a bunch of different materials for aero experiments. Needed to get the MPGs back to spec before pushing forward.

3M VHB Tape is the coolest ...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-13-2014, 03:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Black Bovine - '86 Toyota Supra N/A base
90 day: 16.86 mpg (US)

Grey Sandy - '03 Toyota Rav4 Sport Package
90 day: 21.3 mpg (US)

Panda - '03 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon GLS
90 day: 44.17 mpg (US)
Are newer 7th gen Civic HX ('00-'02)models as efficient as the older ones? The 2002 for example, looks quite a bit different than the older gen, and I'm wondering if it's as good, or better? I see mostly 1996-1999 models for sale.. so when I see a newer HX from 2000-2005, I'm not sure what to think.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by figit090 View Post
Are newer 7th gen Civic HX ('00-'02)models as efficient as the older ones? The 2002 for example, looks quite a bit different than the older gen, and I'm wondering if it's as good, or better? I see mostly 1996-1999 models for sale.. so when I see a newer HX from 2000-2005, I'm not sure what to think.
That's a good question...

To add to this extremely old thread, in the 1 day of my driving my HX, I have averaged 10% better then my Corolla, and I didn't even try very hard. There was really bad traffic going to work so I had to take an alternative route which consisted of much, much more stopping and going (stop lights so dead stop back up to cruising speed) uphill starts, lots of idling and I still managed 40mpg on UG (was 40.1 when I got to work) and I'm sure it was actually more because I was in L/B for a little while too. Under similar conditions, I probably would have gotten about 32-34mpg out of my Corolla.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
That's a good question...

To add to this extremely old thread, in the 1 day of my driving my HX, I have averaged 10% better then my Corolla, and I didn't even try very hard. There was really bad traffic going to work so I had to take an alternative route which consisted of much, much more stopping and going (stop lights so dead stop back up to cruising speed) uphill starts, lots of idling and I still managed 40mpg on UG (was 40.1 when I got to work) and I'm sure it was actually more because I was in L/B for a little while too. Under similar conditions, I probably would have gotten about 32-34mpg out of my Corolla.
I figured the age didn't matter, but I didn't realize it started in 2008! I just looked at the last post date, lol.

I'm hoping we'll get more feedback on HX results.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPGomatic View Post
I finally snagged a manual '99 HX ... We've been going through it piece-by-piece, slaying dragons and bolting in the good stuff....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Sounds like a nice build. You should start a thread for the work you've done, and will be doing.
Agree with Daox... sure would like to see a build thread MPGomatic. On the OP's question, there are significant differences between the 1996-00 HX and the 2001-2005 HX: mostly in gearing (earlier had the better taller gears) and engne size (later had the bigger 1.7 engine).

Depending on what you want the newest and highest EPA rated Honda you might get would be the 2006 Insight, which was still the first generation little awesome 2 seater. I'm not totally sold on hybrids, but there are lots of amazing insight projects on this site to use for reference.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Agree with Daox... sure would like to see a build thread MPGomatic. On the OP's question, there are significant differences between the 1996-00 HX and the 2001-2005 HX: mostly in gearing (earlier had the better taller gears) and engne size (later had the bigger 1.7 engine).

Depending on what you want the newest and highest EPA rated Honda you might get would be the 2006 Insight, which was still the first generation little awesome 2 seater. I'm not totally sold on hybrids, but there are lots of amazing insight projects on this site to use for reference.
Thanks for the tips, do you know much about durability/design quality? I've read and honestly it appears that the older model has more build quality, and I especially like the lack of angles and flat body panels on the older 6th gen. The 7th gen kinda looks ugly in comparison, to me.

Not to hijack a hijacked, resurrected thread, but is a 2002 Insight worth looking into? I think they look like butt and I would prefer an HX but since this popped up FOUR HOURS ago locally and you mentioned the insight...can it be modded to efficient status without hybrid tech? I don't much find hybrid technology appealing because of the recycling and replacement costs.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
also races Sportbikes!!!

Mo' Mon-nay! - '00 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 52.26 mpg (US)

Carbon Silver - '06 Honda Insight
90 day: 82.2 mpg (US)
depending on mileage, that Insight looks like a great deal. insights are pretty much the same from 2000 to 2006. in fact, 2005, and 2006 cant do the "calpod" mod (enables you to run the car w/o the battery, just on motor); which is a big disadvantage. i have a 2006 Insight and I had to install MIMA to get full control of the battery.

the later model HX's are not quite as efficient as the earlier ones; hence why i bought a 2000 HX instead of a newer one. tho is VERY hard to find an HX out there with less than 150k miles.

the Insight is a great fuel eco car. much better than the HX, but the HX is also semi 'fast', you can have SOME fun in an HX........ not with the Insight tho, its simply WAY (and i mean WAY) too slow to do anything but hypermile

2006 Honda Insight
MIMA, FAS, no passenger sideview mirror, race style drivers mirror, front and rear underbody aero, temporary front air dam
Old 07-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Well, since you are in Cali, modding the Insight to run without the battery would probably be an instant emissions fail. You could swap a newer engine lawfully, but now you're into relatively high difficulty and expense compared to buying a clean used 2000 Civic HX or something.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
figit090 (07-13-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,511 Times in 1,551 Posts
Most Insight batteries can be resurrected with a grid charge, you'll get a few more years out of them, and a basic grid charger can be built for about $25. As for engines... if the engine is blown, you can get a replacement for <$100, there are literally warehouses full of Insight engines that nobody wants because they simply don't fail. The car is usually wrecked before the engine goes out.

The mileage will be the same or possibly slightly better with the hybrid systems disabled (just slower), but even a 90% dead battery will still provide auto-stop and idle-smoothing.

It's very difficult to get less than 50MPG out of one. You can drive like an asshat and still get 50. I got 84 on my last extended trip.

EDIT: I wouldn't recommend buying something you wouldn't want to drive though. Get a car you like.

Last edited by Ecky; 07-13-2014 at 06:02 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
figit090 (07-14-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 07:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Most Insight batteries can be resurrected with a grid charge, you'll get a few more years out of them, and a basic grid charger can be built for about $25. As for engines... if the engine is blown, you can get a replacement for <$100, there are literally warehouses full of Insight engines that nobody wants because they simply don't fail. The car is usually wrecked before the engine goes out.

The mileage will be the same or possibly slightly better with the hybrid systems disabled (just slower), but even a 90% dead battery will still provide auto-stop and idle-smoothing.

It's very difficult to get less than 50MPG out of one. You can drive like an asshat and still get 50. I got 84 on my last extended trip.

EDIT: I wouldn't recommend buying something you wouldn't want to drive though. Get a car you like.
Good to know! I think I will take your advice and get a car I like more, the civic. I don't love them but they look ok, and I don't remember hating the drive last time I was in one.

Reply  Post New Thread