Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #21 (permalink)
Thalmaturge

The Tinyvan - '07 Honda Fit Sport

Spicy Italian - '13 Fiat 500 Abarth

eBike - '94 Trek Mountain Track 820
The Insight is barely slower to 60mph than the HX, but is infinitely more tossable. 2nd gear is good though something like 60mph, and the three banger pulls sweetest around 4-4.5krpm. Of all the cars I've owned, I had the MOST fun in my Insight, and at wrecking time I'd put 40k on it averaging 69.2 mpg (even with having some occasional fun). That's tank records, not display calculated.

Only another week or so before I get to go pick up the basket case I'm getting for free . I've been Insightless for 2 years now and it's been killing me. Currently driving an 04 Civic and it feels like a big fat turtle in comparison.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-15-2014, 10:24 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Black Bovine - '86 Toyota Supra N/A base
90 day: 16.86 mpg (US)

Grey Sandy - '03 Toyota Rav4 Sport Package
90 day: 21.3 mpg (US)

Panda - '03 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon GLS
90 day: 44.17 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwichse View Post
The Insight is barely slower to 60mph than the HX, but is infinitely more tossable. 2nd gear is good though something like 60mph, and the three banger pulls sweetest around 4-4.5krpm. Of all the cars I've owned, I had the MOST fun in my Insight, and at wrecking time I'd put 40k on it averaging 69.2 mpg (even with having some occasional fun). That's tank records, not display calculated.

Only another week or so before I get to go pick up the basket case I'm getting for free . I've been Insightless for 2 years now and it's been killing me. Currently driving an 04 Civic and it feels like a big fat turtle in comparison.
interesting, probably because of the weight I suppose.

Anyway I'm going to ask we get back on topic, I seemed to have helped this thread turn into an insight thread.

Anyone have experience with both generations of civic HX??

When I told my mom about getting a 96-2000 civic hx, she was telling me I should go for something newer, but I'm not sure that's a good idea or not. Personally I like the 2000 era best, especially the facelifted version of that generation.

I haven't driven either though, I've only driven a 2-door civic from the previous generation (pre 1996) but I assume it's similar
Old 07-15-2014, 10:37 PM   #23 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by figit090 View Post
Anyway I'm going to ask we get back on topic, I seemed to have helped this thread turn into an insight thread.
Re: your Mom's concern about the age of a 1996-00 HX... how mechanical are you? There will be work to do in rehabing the car to full capacity, unless you pay a premium for the rarer low miles, unmolested, and well-maintained vehicles. If you want to address her questions about getting something newer and still have a Civic, consider the 2003-2005 Civic Hybrid. Or even the 8th generation Civic Hybrid, which I thought was a great looking car, with nice smooth wheel covers and a great 49/51 set of EPA ratings, which good hypermiling would crush. Get an '07.

The truth about the HX and DX Civics is that by 180,000 miles, even when treated nicely they start to have components fail, even though the main hardware is still great and just a little competent wrenching will keep it on the road as a reliable go-box.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:38 PM   #24 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
I'd say it's probably the torque. Electric motors are torque monsters!

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17
Old 07-15-2014, 11:42 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Vader - '15 Dodge Grand Caravan
90 day: 23.13 mpg (US)

Cmax - '13 Ford Cmax SEL
90 day: 40.92 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwichse View Post

Fat turtle, larger and much heavier than the mid '90s and earlier Hondas. Hondas got obese compared to what they were.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:54 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Re: your Mom's concern about the age of a 1996-00 HX... how mechanical are you? There will be work to do in rehabing the car to full capacity, unless you pay a premium for the rarer low miles, unmolested, and well-maintained vehicles. If you want to address her questions about getting something newer and still have a Civic, consider the 2003-2005 Civic Hybrid. Or even the 8th generation Civic Hybrid, which I thought was a great looking car, with nice smooth wheel covers and a great 49/51 set of EPA ratings, which good hypermiling would crush. Get an '07.

The truth about the HX and DX Civics is that by 180,000 miles, even when treated nicely they start to have components fail, even though the main hardware is still great and just a little competent wrenching will keep it on the road as a reliable go-box.
Something about a hybrid doesn't really play nice with what I "want." I know engines and components enough to do most work myself, except I'd likely pay someone to rebuild the engine if it came to that. I don't know a ton about hybrid electronics, and I am a little frightened by the light weight chassis being crushed by a local yokel running a light...or suffering worse damage in any accident than an already lightweight civic which has 500lb more mass.

Also, I would like four seats. I wish I could have four doors but...on well. I also would like a trunk to 'hide' stuff in, at least keep things from being visible if I need to go into a store.
Are HX rear seats usable for someone around 6' tall without breaking your neck on the roof?

I would be confident doing CVs/boots, brakes, wheel bearings, shocks, and the clutch, among other things.
I intend to find a car that's clean and average priced and with a good engine/trans/clutch.
Tips on good prices to pay are greatly appreciated!

Also, I would not feel too confident about the repair costs of an insight, including recycling and replacing the ni-mh battery. I'd want to do it myself probably, so I figure about $1k for that if I can learn how to not kill myself installing it on my own; then I still have other non-hybrid components to worry about (engine, tranny, shocks, brakes, etc...).
Perhaps it's doable but it's still not quite what I want. I'm taking a hurdle going from a supra to a civic already...something I thought I'd "NEVER DO," so bare with me when I say I've always thought insights were silly looking.

For me, it's a situation of not understanding and thus doubting the feasibility/economics of a hybrid, too. I know people, including myself, rip on the Prius for being more harm on the environment than gas guzzlers...
I don't know the specs or have data to tell me for sure, and I think the prius uses li-ion and not ni-mh, but it's overall environment effects still concern me.
I also wonder if insight owners get hassled by eco-haters? I imagine those people are out there. The civic just looks like any other car so I wouldn't anticipate that, and it's not quite so small... I do admit they can be modded to look good but that means money.

I don't mind some sensors going bad or having to do basic tune-up or running gear maintenance, I just feel like 40-50mpg would be awesome and worth it for a while until I don't care as much about saving every penny. I can't figure a better car to find in my price range to save money this side of a geo metro that isn't too small, ugly as sin, a gas guzzler, or something crappy that will break in 20k miles or disintegrate. Numerous domestics or a corolla come to mind but none fit the bill like the HX (that's why I'm bent on finding one).

I have friends with auto shops and extensive Honda knowledge, so I could probably do fine if it needs some work done, possibly even trade photo work for their businesses in exchange for labor.

Right now I'm developing my business and I need reliable, economical transportation for myself and my photography gear plus the occasional passenger(s), and it needs to look clean to maintain my image. (business image - just a clean car showing that I'm not a slob).

If I could get a decent insight for similar money ($2500-4000) that will stay within that range after immediate maintenance, and if I knew they were safe in wrecks, I'd consider one. I don't want to die though and you can't beat physics...which the HX gives me an edge on I think. I'll be concerned enough coming from my 3400lb supra to a 2300lb Honda eco-coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I'd say it's probably the torque. Electric motors are torque monsters!
Yeah, a f'ing prius backed into my friend and I when we were driving by, hurting my neck and crunching his civic. I'm plenty familiar with their 'capabilities'....
Old 07-16-2014, 12:31 AM   #27 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Then you are back to an HX. Pay a bit more and get a really clean-looking one for your image concerns, as well as one with lower miles. For about $5,000 you could find one of those from about 2000 or 2001 with 100,000-150,000 miles on it. It would look clean and have tens of thousands of miles of reliable relatively trouble free driving left in it.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
figit090 (07-16-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 12:33 AM   #28 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Something about a hybrid doesn't really play nice with what I "want." I know engines and components enough to do most work myself, except I'd likely pay someone to rebuild the engine if it came to that. I don't know a ton about hybrid electronics, and I am a little frightened by the light weight chassis being crushed by a local yokel running a light...or suffering worse damage in any accident than an already lightweight civic which has 500lb more mass.
I know what you mean. Despite the Prius overcoming most of my paper hangups about hybrids, I still just don't want one (never mind that it doesn't have three rows of seats required by our next vehicle). Partly this is styling and partly the cheap feeling interior for the price. I still feel, though, that deep down it goes beyond that for me. A TCH or FFH, which largely fly under the radar, appeal to me much more than a Prius, which is conspicuously hybrid, yet still not enough for me to really actually want one. Much like you.

Quote:
Yeah, a f'ing prius backed into my friend and I when we were driving by, hurting my neck and crunching his civic. I'm plenty familiar with their 'capabilities'....
:-o

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17
The Following User Says Thank You to jcp123 For This Useful Post:
figit090 (07-16-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 02:23 AM   #29 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
I'm way to lazy to sit here and read all these posts, so I'll just respond to what I got from reading the couple of posts.

Buy a HX, 96-00, 97-98 seems to be the most popular year that doesn't get molested, no idea why. I bought mine for 2k, and have only put about 300$ into it and it's in good running condition now. I was terrified to change the dizzy o'ring and vtech solenoid gasket myself but, I did it and I'm really happy I did. If you can find one in perfect condition for around 3.5k it would be worth it. Even in bad condition (as long as it doesn't have a blown head gasket or something) you can just youtube the basic repairs and do most, if not all of them yourself.

[Edit]: Something like this would be perfect for you: http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4543504900.html

The Following User Says Thank You to Baltothewolf For This Useful Post:
figit090 (07-16-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 08:41 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I know what you mean. Despite the Prius overcoming most of my paper hangups about hybrids, I still just don't want one (never mind that it doesn't have three rows of seats required by our next vehicle). Partly this is styling and partly the cheap feeling interior for the price. I still feel, though, that deep down it goes beyond that for me. A TCH or FFH, which largely fly under the radar, appeal to me much more than a Prius, which is conspicuously hybrid, yet still not enough for me to really actually want one. Much like you.

:-o
Yeah I wish so many eco cars weren't fugly. That's another reason I feel like the HX is PERFECT, because tasteful mods can make them look pretty good, and that's not to say it's not good looking as-is. I like the stock enkei rims, too. The TCH and FFH don't look bad, you're right. If I had that budget though I wouldn't give a crap about fuel expense, I'd be in a mkIV supra, or something else comfortable, powerful, clean, and fun.

Oh and yeah, I hate priuses more because of that accident. I already didn't like them but now they make me cringe (or scream if they're in the way). I had to fight over a year, eventually winning a lawsuit, because a careless woman backed into the street and smaked our car, tweaking my neck; and they (the insurance of the car owner, not the driver) didn't want to cover basic treatment. Don't support Farmers, they can burn in hell. Also, don't stand near hybrids or drive by without observing their occupancy, they're silent killers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
I'm way to lazy to sit here and read all these posts, so I'll just respond to what I got from reading the couple of posts.

Buy a HX, 96-00, 97-98 seems to be the most popular year that doesn't get molested, no idea why. I bought mine for 2k, and have only put about 300$ into it and it's in good running condition now. I was terrified to change the dizzy o'ring and vtech solenoid gasket myself but, I did it and I'm really happy I did. If you can find one in perfect condition for around 3.5k it would be worth it. Even in bad condition (as long as it doesn't have a blown head gasket or something) you can just youtube the basic repairs and do most, if not all of them yourself.

[Edit]: Something like this would be perfect for you: 1998 Honda Civic Hx. Registered SMOGGED
Thanks for the tips! and the price info, it's hard to believe these cars are so inexpensive, but they are old and after all just a civic. Still though, I'm happy not to need a $6k budget.

I have a guy responding to my HX want ad, but sadly his has 250k miles on it, it's been lowered, and he didn't seem to know if it had any basic things done, like timing belt, clutch...etc. I was shocked but he said since 2007 and the last 100k or so...it hasn't needed major work.
I will look at it tomorrow but I'm also going to tell him his $3k asking price is way high for that mileage without major parts being replaced
Perhaps I could offer $500-$1000 for it? I have yet to see it, but at least I'll get to see a HX for a few minutes, which is my main incentive at this point.

He said he'd probably take an offer if I made one but I dunno what he exects and then I'd have to go about getting the...

cosmetic issues worked out (crack in bumper...etc)
correct enkei rims in good shape found, and new tires to fit
new clutch
possible engine rebuild (i mean it's 250k miles...holy crap)
wheel bearings
new sensors
new front seat (minor tears so I'd want something fresh eventually)
full tuneup including timing belt, dizzy/rotor, plugs, wires, EGR cleaning
tranny rebuild??

I don't want to do a rebuild myself, the rest I'm game. It's just a bummer when I wanted to just get a $3000-$3500 nice car and be done with it. I will pass I think but I'm still going to look at it. Who knows maybe he'll take $500? lol.

Reply  Post New Thread