Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2020, 09:52 AM   #131 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,524 Times in 2,798 Posts
For every action there is an opposite and equal reaction.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-21-2020, 11:27 AM   #132 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ZeroHedge:
Quote:
Zero Hedge or ZeroHedge[b] is a far-right[12] libertarian[17] financial blog,[13][14] presenting staff-written articles and aggregating news and opinions from external sources.[18] Zero Hedge, per its motto,[a] is bearish in its investment outlook and analysis, often deriving from its adherence to the Austrian School of economics and credit cycles.[22] While often labeled as a financial permabear,[23][24] Zero Hedge has also been described as a source of "cutting-edge news, rumors and gossip in the financial industry".[25]

Over time, Zero Hedge expanded into non-financial analysis,[c] such as conspiracy theories and fringe rhetoric[27] that has been associated with the US radical right[14][28] and a pro-Russian bias.[1][29][30][31] Zero Hedge's non-financial commentary has led to a number of § Site bans by various global social media platforms, although its 2019 Facebook ban[32] and 2020 Twitter ban were later reversed.[14][33]

Zero Hedge in-house content is posted under the pseudonym "Tyler Durden"; the founder and main editor was identified as Daniel Ivandjiiski.[26]

Last edited by sgtlethargic; 10-21-2020 at 01:30 PM..
Old 10-21-2020, 11:35 AM   #133 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
For every action there is an opposite and equal reaction.
That applies to forces and physical bodies, not universally.
Quote:
Newton's laws of motion are three physical laws that, together, laid the foundation for classical mechanics. They describe the relationship between a body and the forces acting upon it, and its motion in response to those forces. More precisely, the first law defines the force qualitatively, the second law offers a quantitative measure of the force, and the third asserts that a single isolated force does not exist. These three laws have been expressed in several ways, over nearly three centuries,[a] and can be summarised as follows:

First law
In an inertial frame of reference, an object either remains at rest or continues to move at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by a force.[2][3]
Second law
In an inertial frame of reference, the vector sum of the forces F on an object is equal to the mass m of that object multiplied by the acceleration a of the object: F = ma. (It is assumed here that the mass m is constant – see below.)
Third law
When one body exerts a force on a second body, the second body simultaneously exerts a force equal in magnitude and opposite in direction on the first body.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:55 PM   #134 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
Over time, Zero Hedge expanded into non-financial analysis,[c] such as conspiracy theories and fringe rhetoric...
Appears to be a Wikipedia quote.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=wikipedia+bias
Quote:
Wikipedia Co-Founder: Site's Neutrality Is 'Dead' Thanks ...
https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2020/05/26/wikipedia-co-founder-sites-neutrality-is-dead-thanks-to-leftist-bias/[/url]
May 26, 2020Sanger also criticized Wikipedia's coverage of religion and other controversial topics. After Fox News reported on his blog post, many Wikipedians ignored the bias Sanger identified and instead responded by attacking the conservative outlet as well as Sanger.. On May 14, Sanger published a blog piece titled "Wikipedia Is Badly Biased" and started by declaring Wikipedia's "Neutral ...

Wikipedia Is Badly Biased - Larry Sanger Blog
https://larrysanger.org/2020/05/wiki...-badly-biased/
Wikipedia's "NPOV" is dead. 1 The original policy long since forgotten, Wikipedia no longer has an effective neutrality policy. There is a rewritten policy, but it endorses the utterly bankrupt canard that journalists should avoid what they call "false balance." 2 The notion that we should avoid "false balance" is directly contradictory to the original neutrality policy.

Bias (statistics) - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bias_(statistics)
Spectrum bias arises from evaluating diagnostic tests on biased patient samples, leading to an overestimate of the sensitivity and specificity of the test. The bias of an estimator is the difference between an estimator's expected value and the true value of the parameter being estimated.

Examples of Bias in Wikipedia - Conservapedia
https://conservapedia.com/Examples_of_Bias_in_Wikipedia
List of examples of liberal bias in Wikipedia. Below is a growing list of around 300 examples of liberal bias, deceit, edits stemming from corrupting conflicts of interest, frivolous gossip, and blatant errors on Wikipedia.The atheist Jimmy Wales was the leading founder of Wikipedia. Christian apologist JP Holding called Wikipedia "the abomination that causes misinformation".

SHOCKER: Wikipedia Co-Founder Says Site Is 'Badly Biased ...
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/05/shocker-wikipedia-co-founder-says-says-site-badly-biased-toward-left/[/url]
From the "no sh*t, Sherlock files," a co-founder of Wikipedia says the site leans hard left. In a blog post last week, co-founder Larry Sanger said Wikipedia stopped trying to be unbiased in response to journalists calling covering both sides of a story a "false balance" - the idea that not all views on an issue deserve equal coverage. . "Journalists," it turns out, should decide ...

Is Wikipedia Biased? - Kellogg Insight
https://insight.kellogg.northwestern...kipedia_biased
But while Wikipedia's political content may be trending toward neutrality in the aggregate, individual articles may fall anywhere along the spectrum of political bias. "If a Wikipedia user was looking to get a complete, unbiased view on a particular topic, it wouldn't necessarily come from one article," Greenstein explains.
You could attack Breitbart and Conservapedia, else you could address the actual Tyler Durden quote.

Old 10-21-2020, 03:03 PM   #135 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,524 Times in 2,798 Posts
If I was dumb enough to stay in California I might think that forest fire fuel could just be left alone to build up, layer after layer, year after year and nothing bad would ever happen.

Last edited by oil pan 4; 10-21-2020 at 05:37 PM..
Old 10-21-2020, 03:09 PM   #136 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
What I don't get is rules that prevent dead wood gathering. I get that certain ecosystems might benefit from letting the wood rot, but since we don't let fire clear it out periodically it seems the next best thing would be to allow campers to burn it.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 10-21-2020, 03:20 PM   #137 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

You could attack Breitbart and Conservapedia, else you could address the actual Tyler Durden quote.
You seem to be assuming that I disagree with the text you quoted. It seems non-controversial. I won't bother with ZeroHedge nor Turd Burglar because I know their spin is as described in the Wikipedia text I quoted.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:23 PM   #138 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

Breitbart is horrible.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:42 PM   #139 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
What I don't get is rules that prevent dead wood gathering. I get that certain ecosystems might benefit from letting the wood rot, but since we don't let fire clear it out periodically it seems the next best thing would be to allow campers to burn it.
I highly doubt that campers have much to do with this issue.

I believe a big part of it is because most old growth forests are gone and what's considered a forest now isn't like an old growth forest. At least one old growth forest was part of the recent wildfires, and it wasn't anywhere near as catastrophic.

Many Southern California fires are chapparal fires, not forest fires.

In general, more people and development have moved into some of these areas.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:55 PM   #140 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
One post with three edits [is greater than] three posts. It keeps the thread compacted.

Quote:
You seem to be assuming that I disagree with the text you quoted. It seems non-controversial. I won't bother with ZeroHedge nor T[*]rd Burglar because I know their spin is as described in the Wikipedia text I quoted.
Counterrotating spins.

Wikipedia is noncontroversial on subjects that don't have a political aspect.

edit:
ALL Online Spaces Eventually Become Right-Wing, The Only Way To KEEP Something LEFT Is Moderators

At this timestamp https://youtu.be/xbdumWl5sdQ?t=442 Tim Pool deconstructs the issues with Wikipedia.

Last edited by freebeard; 10-21-2020 at 07:10 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
climate change, cringe, lies, scam