Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2024, 12:18 PM   #1541 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,324 Times in 4,732 Posts
forest fire carbon dioxide vs fossil-fuels

I posted years ago that the carbon dioxide from combustion of fossil-fuel, each year, is equivalent to that, from a forest fire, the size of the entire surface of the Earth, oceans and ice caps included, times 1.75.
If you were in a commercial airliner at 41,000-feet, all you would see is fire, as far as you could see, wherever you were, in all directions, all around the world.
Then all over again, for 75% of the planet.
Each year.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-05-2024, 12:27 PM   #1542 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

' electrons'

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
While everyone and their canine companion are excited about 'Dark Oxygen' this hasn't got as much attention:

science.nasa.gov: NASA Rocket Discovers New Energization Process in Upper Atmosphere

Source, for those that can comprehend it: journals.aps.org: New Regime of Inertial Alfvén Wave Turbulence in the Auroral Ionosphere

Requires a reestimation of Solar forcing.
Electrons 'ARE' ions.
Protons would be the only other 'charged' ion.
Neutrons have no charge.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 'Auroral Ionosphere' is populated mostly with oxygen, which provides the green, red, purple, etc. colors of the auroras, depending on altitude.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Solar forcing' has nothing to do with global warming and climate change.

Last edited by aerohead; 08-05-2024 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: add data
Old 08-05-2024, 01:01 PM   #1543 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,818 Times in 7,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFA
These waves were known to accelerate electrons, which pick up speed as they “surf” along the electric field of the wave. But their effect on ions — a more heterogenous group of positively charged particles, which exist alongside electrons — was unknown.

By estimating the ion mixture they were flying through — predominantly protons and singly-charged oxygen ions — the scientists discovered that these waves were [accelerating protons as they circle about the Earth’s magnetic field lines as well as electrons as they surf the waves. The findings reveal a new way our upper atmosphere is energized.
Journalists, am I right? What did you think of the paper? It went right over my head.

Quote:
https://www.khanacademy.org › science › hs-chemistry › x2613d8165d88df5e:chemical-bonding › x2613d8165d88df5e:ionic-bonds › a › naming-ions-and-ionic-compounds
Naming ions and ionic compounds (article) | Khan Academy
Cations are positively charged ions formed when neutral atoms lose electrons; anions are negatively charged ions formed when neutral atoms gain electrons. It is possible to predict the charges of main group ions by looking at the group numbers on the periodic table.
A free proton would be a Hydrogen ion. A free electron would not IMHO be an ion.

Quote:
'Solar forcing' has nothing to do with global warming and climate change.
At least you're consistent. I would assert that solar radiation provides a baseline that the human contribution modulates.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-08-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 03:19 PM   #1544 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD

Van - '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Thanked 4,458 Times in 3,424 Posts
Anything a hostile and uncaring nature does = good. Anything done by human activity = bad.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 08-06-2024, 10:46 AM   #1545 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,563 Times in 2,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Anything a hostile and uncaring nature does = good. Anything done by human activity = bad.
Leaving state and federal lands to grow wild with the only allowable human intervention being to put out forest fires, allowing undergrowth to build up to unnatural levels. The who place burns in a cataclysmic fire, almost always started by human activities, people die, the environmentalists say "it's natural" and blame climate change.
Old 08-08-2024, 12:06 PM   #1546 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

' ions '

Quote:
Journalists, am I right? What did you think of the paper? It went right over my head.

A free proton would be a Hydrogen ion. A free electron would not IMHO be an ion.

At least you're consistent. I would assert that solar radiation provides a baseline that the human contribution modulates.
1) The cation/anions are associated with garden variety chemistry, rather than atmospheric/solar wind/cosmic radiation events.
2) A free proton is a hydrogen 'nucleus', and because it has a charge, it is an ion.
3) The free electron is from the solar wind, originally from some atom in the corona, that was disassociated due to the intense heat; and because it has charge, it's an ion.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4) The solar insolation striking Earth 'IS' responsible for earth's original, pre-industrial revolution climate. 'THAT' would be the 'baseline' from which today's climate is compared.
5) Today's climate is an artifact of man's anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions since around 1850, and the parts per million per volume-equivalency concentration of carbon dioxide in the troposphere, where the 'climate' is.
I never found a 'paper', only what you had boxed in in the permalink.

Last edited by aerohead; 08-08-2024 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: add comment
Old 08-08-2024, 01:48 PM   #1547 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It's nice when we can agree.

DDG obfuscates the links. https://www.khanacademy.org/science/...onic-compounds. (I just copied 'Naming ions and ionic compounds (article) | Khan Academy' and searched on that)

1850 was addressed at Permalink #1527.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-10-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 09:37 PM   #1548 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sabine Hossenfelder points at climate change denier and laughs: "Climate Change is a Myth" -- A Nobel Prize Winner's Embarrassing Ideas

The Einstiens bobble head and the red phone go untouched, contravening Chekhov's Gun.

Old 08-09-2024, 10:59 AM   #1549 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,026 Posts
The red phone is a teletype style terminal, last I heard. They would use the multiline cisco style digital one on the desk if someone actually wanted to voice communicate.
Can't see putin ever calling.
Old 08-10-2024, 11:08 AM   #1550 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

aerohead's stupid!

Quote:
It's nice when we can agree.

DDG obfuscates the links. https://www.khanacademy.org/science/...onic-compounds. (I just copied 'Naming ions and ionic compounds (article) | Khan Academy' and searched on that)

1850 was addressed at Permalink #1527.
* I dug out my old college chemistry text, and unless those who decide what we calls things have moved the goal posts, 'ions' are either atoms or molecules which have either gained or lost an electron.
* Free electrons would just be atomic particles, either from some collision, or experiencing a temperature above the binding energy.
* The solar wind is electrons, protons, and atomic nuclei.
* CMEs are extreme concentrations of the above.
* Also, 'superluminal' particles, traveling at velocities greater than the speed of light in air, can travel to Earth via gamma ray particles of energies in the trillions of electron-volts.

Tags
climate change, cringe, lies, scam