Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011, 08:06 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_VX_Guy View Post
I will look into it for sure. The car is a good candidate for the Fed conversion right now because it's doing the infamous part throttle hesitation. I'm debating whether to do the conversion now or just swap in the standard 4 wire 02 for the moment. This way I could have a baseline to compare from when I actually do the swap.
Crap whats the infamous part throttle hesitation? Cuz i think the VX motor i just swapped into my hatch is doing the same thing. I just thought this was lean burn.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have a 94 VX. It has a 5 wire O2 sensor but the sticker on the hood says that it meets cali regulations so I'm confused. The hood has been spray painted black so it may be from a different car. How else can I verify if it is the FED version or not?
Old 09-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #33 (permalink)
Sippin' gasoline

ecohok 2 - '94 Volkswagen Polo Steilheck/Breadvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1234 View Post
I have a 94 VX. It has a 5 wire O2 sensor but the sticker on the hood says that it meets cali regulations so I'm confused. The hood has been spray painted black so it may be from a different car. How else can I verify if it is the FED version or not?
Take a look at the sticker on the ECU. P07-A00 or A01 is Fed, P07-L00 or L01 is Cali. Look it up in the startpost.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:56 AM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Super Duty - '12 Ford F250 Super Duty XLT Long Bed Super-Cab
90 day: 15.29 mpg (US)
Good info here, thanks for the contributors, It is so hard to find a nice VX in showroom condition anywhere these days. I am on the look out tho!

Good Bye Insight Hello 6.7 Diesel Truck!
**My First Hybrid Insight**
Old 10-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have never soldered in my life. Can I get away with buying a VX federal engine harness from hondaautomotiveparts and do a "plug and play" installation for my Cal->federal conversion? Rather than traveling to junkyards, gathering those plugs and learning how to solder? I have the federal ECU and 5 wire O2 sensor (NGK/NTK) already. Or would there be anything more involved than just putting the plugs together? thanks for your help.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hello all,

New to the site, I picked up a '92 VX for my son and I'm having problems with it passing smog. It passed the Ca. 15 mph test but failed the 25 mph test. This car has the dreaded lean hesitation deal once it gets up to temp. It had a blown head gasket when we got it and that has been repaired, I did a full tuneup (plugs, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter, oil change, set the timing, checked the idle, replace the O2 sensor (5 wire) ran some fuel injector through the system. The smog tech told me to replace the O2 sensor and look for vacuum leaks. I did all of this but still have the hesitation. If I disconnect the O2 sensor the car runs fine but has the C.E.L. on which will not pass smog. I noticed you all mentioning this problem and was wondering if anyone has come up with a solution to it. Thanks in advance for any help you may be.

Take Care
Troy Stevens
Old 03-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well I'm doing just the opposite from all of you, I'm switching from the federal ECU to the California ECU in order to get the car to pass smog, and also get rifd of the dreaded "Lean Hesitation" I just bought the Ca ECU and when it arrives I'll let you all know what happens.

Take Care
Troy
Old 03-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #38 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyVX View Post
Well I'm doing just the opposite from all of you, I'm switching from the federal ECU to the California ECU in order to get the car to pass smog, and also get rifd of the dreaded "Lean Hesitation" I just bought the Ca ECU and when it arrives I'll let you all know what happens.
Sometimes I wonder about a partial HX conversion of my 1998 DX, but without lean burn because of our CA smog check. The ECU and the v-tec head could be of value on its own. In this thread, I posted findings from a 1990s study in which Honda claimed that v-tec without lean burn would still produce +7-8% fuel economy for the VX.

Good luck. I'll keep tabs on this thread. Sorry you did not get a response earlier. I simply don't know the answer to you previous question.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:27 AM   #39 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Patina - '80 Vespa P 125x
90 day: 67.27 mpg (US)

nonya - '00 honda insight
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 67.62 mpg (US)
hey everybody, seems people are having fun building their own harnesses. I am building one for my brothers ca vx. found all of the parts at the junkyard, the most diffucult one to find was the six ire male. was only able to find it in post harvested condition, meaning someone had already taken the side they wanted and left me with only an inch or so to deal with. thats what you have to deal i suppose. I am excited to get the ecu and do the install to see if all of my wiring was correct! thanks to all that have contributed
Old 03-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #40 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I need one too ...help a fellow ecomodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by backsidesnap View Post
hey everybody, seems people are having fun building their own harnesses. I am building one for my brothers ca vx. found all of the parts at the junkyard, the most diffucult one to find was the six ire male. was only able to find it in post harvested condition, meaning someone had already taken the side they wanted and left me with only an inch or so to deal with. thats what you have to deal i suppose. I am excited to get the ecu and do the install to see if all of my wiring was correct! thanks to all that have contributed
Wow, while you're at it...build one for me. Seriously... Please?

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
5-wire o2 sensor, ca to fed conversion, civic vx