Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
You don't see real Moon disks Mickey-Moused onto the lug nuts. Drill the lip of the rim for sheet metal screws. There's ~1/2" of rubber behind the rim before you'd nick the cable in the tire's bead. Off-roaders call it a bead-lock.

It's swap meet season, why not real Moons?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
You don't see real Moon disks Mickey-Moused onto the lug nuts. Drill the lip of the rim for sheet metal screws. There's ~1/2" of rubber behind the rim before you'd nick the cable in the tire's bead. Off-roaders call it a bead-lock.

It's swap meet season, why not real Moons?
The clip-ons would not fit, which is why I mailed back the ones that I had bought. Everybody seems to lose those anyway. I would need to find the screw ones.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I got a set of 4 at a swap a few years back for $5. But they have big notches where the three holes used to be.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Not Doug

How about I tap the discs into the rims?

Does that ever go poorly? If the discs were notched, what would have happened to the rims?
Old 05-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
Not Doug

What about something like this? IdealŪ 201/301 Stainless Steel 57 Worm Gear Drive Hose Clamp, 7/16 - 1 in Capacity | StaplesŪ I actually have found fifteen- and sixteen-inch ones, as well as custom kits. How difficult would it be to bend in the edges on a cylinder? What about the fastener?
Old 05-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

had a set 1x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
How about I tap the discs into the rims?

Does that ever go poorly? If the discs were notched, what would have happened to the rims?
I am also going your route Im guessing you have 14" wheels also so the 15 " pan after drilling hole for the valve will fill the rim inside.
I had a purchased set with clips one time before and clips broke over time and would not seat on old American racing wheels so I removed wheels from truck drilled through safe portion then transferred holes into hubs.
Next I tapped wheel holes to 6-32 and picked up circuit board stand off from radio shack. screwed into wheels and used nylock nuts on hub caps.
the wheel covers squeek slightly at low speeds to resolve that I used some silicon and squeezed a dab here and there before bolting covers on.
this combo served me well for another 3 years of service.
rust coated them so I painted them red to match the truck and sold vehicle for a ten year moonie service life.
standoffs were really cheap and come in different sizes and can also be screwed together to effect length and mounting issues.
FYI. not all standoffs are male or female or 1/2" or 3/4" etc. look into it before ya start, and dont run drill into aired sections of your wheel..
The Following User Says Thank You to justme1969 For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I never saw the rims, it looks like the disks were removed and reattached repeatedly (?) All three holes were worn out the same amount. Standard attachement is three sheet metal screws maybe 3/8" long.

A hose clamp 50" long? You can chain them together, but i can't see gripping the edge of the disk and rim working and the air would be seeing a step the width of the hose clamp.

Here's a picture that's on topic.

Oversized disks, stand-offs, valve stem hole.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
Not Doug

Is there a reason that moon discs are convex? Wouldn't you want the rim\cover to extend as far as the sidewall, but not any further?

My trays arrived today. It turns out that my fifteen-inch wheels have sixteen-inch rims and these are about an inch and a quarter small. I think that I will go to that restaurant supply store and see if they have sixteen-inch discs. I just paid $11.50 to mail back the hubcaps. If I pay the same amount to return these trays, I would only get half of my money back.

What else can I do with these things?
Old 05-31-2013, 01:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The tire has 15" holes and the rim has (apparently) a 5/8" lip.

Moon disk are convex for strength, spindle clearance (sometimes you'll see them with a hole or bullet in the middle) but mostly so they *catch the light* better.

Overhanging the lip? Everyone opines that the disk would wear on the tire sidewall and simply destroy it. I think the tire and the disk are moving together and it would be more of a press and release, at the bottom where the sidewall deforms. The guys that run the Mariani Farms roadster know the facts.

Quote:
When I try to process that I have a halting problem.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:28 AM   #20 (permalink)
Not Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The tire has 15" holes and the rim has (apparently) a 5/8" lip.

Moon disk are convex for strength, spindle clearance (sometimes you'll see them with a hole or bullet in the middle) but mostly so they *catch the light* better.

Overhanging the lip? Everyone opines that the disk would wear on the tire sidewall and simply destroy it. I think the tire and the disk are moving together and it would be more of a press and release, at the bottom where the sidewall deforms. The guys that run the Mariani Farms roadster know the facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
When I try to process that I have a halting problem.
I wonder if everybody but me knew that hubcaps were an inch and a quarter bigger than the rims. Moon disks are mostly convex to catch the light better? I was not sure if the hole or bullet was to catch the light better.

Is a round shape better than a flat one if it has a larger frontal area? I continue to think that you would want the sides to be flat, although if you are going to have the caps bigger than the rims, it does not make sense to me to have them smaller than the middle of the sidewall, so that you have one curve, as in the picture that you shared. I would think that if the edge of the moon disk is level with the widest part of the sidewall, when it flattens against the ground, it would push against the disk, which would flex away, to whatever extent is possible, but if the disk reaches the inner portion of the sidewall, towards the center, the rubber would also push against the edge of the disk, which could cause more wear, but I do not know anything.

I was asking if anyone had any idea what to do with aluminum discs, these trays that I bought. If I return them I would only receive eleven or twelve dollars if shipping charges are the same as they were for my hubcaps.

If moon disks are convex for strength, but they creak because they flex, are they too convex or not enough?

Would they creak if they were attached to the lugnuts, like mine? I know that exposing the holes would make them less aerodynamic, but I imagine that can be fixed.

Reply  Post New Thread