Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
That's a nice project. I've been lurking to get a similar setup into a smaller motorcycle, such as a Yamaha Teneré 250.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-07-2013, 02:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

la_voiture_de_courses - '03 Renault Megane Estate
OldContinents
90 day: 44.34 mpg (US)

xiao lan - '01 Audi A2
90 day: 38.88 mpg (US)

Brit iron - '92 Mini Mini
90 day: 45.5 mpg (US)

Prius - '09 Toyota PRIUS Lounge
90 day: 47.37 mpg (US)

Beemer - '06 BMW F800 ST
90 day: 53.06 mpg (US)
As much as I like the diesel conversions on motorbikes, you make me come to the conclusion that it is a lot of involvement / hassle for basically regular 125 cc performance, be it acceleration, FE or top speed and even purchase price.

I have checked on the dieselbike.net forum because I thought there was more potential in dieselizing a bike engine.
The answer is basically no from the narrow minded engineers from automotive and yes for the dreamers.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault_megane_dci View Post
As much as I like the diesel conversions on motorbikes, you make me come to the conclusion that it is a lot of involvement / hassle for basically regular 125 cc performance, be it acceleration, FE or top speed and even purchase price.

I have checked on the dieselbike.net forum because I thought there was more potential in dieselizing a bike engine.
The answer is basically no from the narrow minded engineers from automotive and yes for the dreamers.
When the bike is purely being used around town, and is running on fuel that doesnt even touch 50p a liter then im happy with the hasttle.

To be honest, the fuel effeciency should be around 170-180 one its bedded in which is higher than a 125 petrol scooter would get.

The HDT modified KLR 650 is what you want if you want an off the shelf diesel bike.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
That's a nice project. I've been lurking to get a similar setup into a smaller motorcycle, such as a Yamaha Teneré 250.
Thanks! We all use big motorbikes becuase the engine and gearbox combinations are huge, or much larger than the same cc petrol versions.

The smallest bike I would think would work is a CB400/250, as they were big anyway.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

OldContinents

xiao lan - '01 Audi A2

Beemer - '06 BMW F800 ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander.foti View Post
When the bike is purely being used around town, and is running on fuel that doesnt even touch 50p a liter then im happy with the hasttle.

To be honest, the fuel effeciency should be around 170-180 one its bedded in which is higher than a 125 petrol scooter would get.

The HDT modified KLR 650 is what you want if you want an off the shelf diesel bike.
Ho, I don't want anything off the shelf, I'm amongst the dreamers !

As for the hassle, keep it up on your excellent project I wish I could handle.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:12 AM   #16 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander.foti View Post
Thanks! We all use big motorbikes becuase the engine and gearbox combinations are huge, or much larger than the same cc petrol versions.
I've already considered to attempt a centrifugal clutch cimilar to the one used in the original Mobylette, since it provides a similar effect to a CVT in a lighter and more compact package, with no gearbox at all.

Quote:
The smallest bike I would think would work is a CB400/250, as they were big anyway.
I like the current Yamaha XTZ250 Teneré available here in Brazil, since it has a comparatively big fuel tank for a compact motorcycle and has some cross-country abilities which I would enjoy.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #17 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
A search for "diesel motorcycle" on EM yielded this old thread, and I thought I would add this link I just found. A day-dreamer idea is to convert the old Bajaj Chetak scooter I have in the garage. Too many projects and too much to learn! But I can dream. Diesel Motorcycles at DieselBike.net | Listing all Diesel Motorcycle projects
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
A day-dreamer idea is to convert the old Bajaj Chetak scooter I have in the garage. Too many projects and too much to learn! But I can dream. Diesel Motorcycles at DieselBike.net | Listing all Diesel Motorcycle projects
There are some interesting projects on that site, and even a picture of a Vespa with a single-cylinder Diesel mounted on its floor. Anyway, about 7 years ago I've already considered to work around a 2-stroke gasser to run on Diesel, but since it would probably still require a supercharger for the scavenging I considered it too much more complicated than what II would want to do. At that time I still thought hot-bulb engines were real Diesels

Anyway, in a Vespa or a Bajaj Chetak, apart from the transmission setup, another critical issue to consider while converting to any other engine is the weight balance due to engine position.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

OldContinents

xiao lan - '01 Audi A2

Beemer - '06 BMW F800 ST
Had I time and money, I would try to convert a Suzuki DR 800 (for the long stroke and tough internals) to a smaller bore barrel (like a GN 400), machine a head out of a lump of alloy, stick a Fiat Tdid piston and injector on it.

Main concern was the oppportunity to close up the valve angle and still use a standard bike cam.
Maybe two ?