Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 12:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
DieselMiser

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
Diesel Power Magazine Disappointment.

Okay,

After a member here said that Diesel Power Magazine was going to have an article that was going to settle the hydrogen injection system debate I bought a copy. Inside the relevant article was a major disappointment. To sum up the article. These systems consist of electrodes in a jar of water and baking soda. Some people say it works. Some people say it doesn't work.

I know I was setting my hopes too high by expecting something really substantial from a mag that is primarily known for their pictures, however they are also known to do a lot of dyno runs.

I guess all I can do is ask for a follow up article and suggest a test procedure that can settle it once and for all.

list of materials for test.
One diesel vehicle with a mechanical injection pump and high output alternator.

One diesel vehicle with a computer controlled common rail injection system and high output alternator.

Optional third vehicle identical to one of the others.

Note: vehicles should be about the same HP.

2 eddy current dynos

Multiple hydrogen generation cells.

One high current switch.

One high current ammeter.

High current wire.

Procedure:

1. Place two vehicles on dynos.

2. Hook hydrogen generator cell(s) gas outlet to intake of one vehicle and supply the electric power to power the hydrogen generator cell(s) from the other vehicle through the power switch.

3. With the switch open (off) adjust both vehicles output to be roughly the same and hold the power output level on the dyno. For one test the power should be about 25%, one at 50%, one at 75%, and one at full load.

4. While sustaining the power level, Close the switch(turn it on) and measure power increase in vehicle receiving the gas from the hydrogen generator cell(s) and the power drop from the vehicle supplying the electricity. If the current drawn from the supplying vehicle exceeds the current rating of the alternator the test data is invalid because power is also being drawn from energy store in the battery and not provided by the engine. If the current drawn is not more than 80% the alternators rating add another hydrogen cell to the system and repeat steps 3 and 4. Note: the power drop should happen quickly after the switch is closed on the engine supplying the electricity and the power increase should happen with in a few seconds on the engine receiving they hydrogen.

5. After all output levels have been tested exchange connections on vehicles and repeat tests.

Note: since alternators are usually 90 to 95% efficient the power required to generate the hydrogen for the other engine should be statistically the same as if it was generated on the engine ingesting the hydrogen.

The reason for using two different vehicles was to eliminate arguments about the computer changing things (for better or worse)

Comments suggestions?

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-28-2009, 01:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
email your post to the magazine.

I didn't expect anything substantial to come of it. It's too touchy of a topic for a basic magazine to really handle. Kinda like whether or not airplanes will take off on conveyor belts. (They will)

Old 01-28-2009, 01:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
DieselMiser

I want a little more feed back and on my proposed test before I e-mail them. I want a solid experiment to propose with no wiggle room.

One problem I see is a 200 amp alternator will only put out about 2400 to 2800 watts and draw a little more than 3.21 to 3.75hp and theory predicts the energy produced by the hydrogen will be far less than this. This could be considered to be in the margin of error of a repeated dyno run although on an actively running test it should be sufficient to show relative change. This could be used as a means to argue against the validity of the test.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
You run the engine at fixed rpm and load on a dyno.
You hook up the hydrogen generator to an external power source.
You vary the hydrogen input in the intake and you log fuel consumption.
Find out what hydrogen cell output you can get from the alternator power alone.
Plot it on the graph you had previously determined.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 02-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Might throw some real world driving in as well. Even if very small amounts of hydrogen are produced, here in a place like Los Angeles, where your average speed is usually "stopped" it might be enough to reduce the fuel that is being used at idle. Did the article give any concrete evidence? Nope, but it did introduce the concept of hydrogen to a large audience that is unfamiliar with its possibilities, which I think is very importaint. Our other editor is really into alternative fuels and such, so we're trying to do some more stuff with HHO, but the intent of the original article was to introduce hydrogen as a concept, which means that people who are already familiar with the subject didn't find the answer they were looking for. We're working on it though, and we'll try to do some actual testing here in the near future. I knew us not giving any solid results would open up a can of worms just didn't know how fast those suckers would travel.

Jason Sands
Associate Editor
Diesel Power Magazine
Old 02-03-2009, 04:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
DieselMiser

Driving tests are far too unreliable as there are too many variables that can effect things.

Also a worm just opened up a big can of whoopass
FTC Sues Promoters of Bogus Fuel Efficiency Device
Old 02-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
I agree: "real world" testing doesn't produce credible data. Keep it on the dyno!
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 05-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hello Ecomodder

It is great to see a site like this. Very cool. I found it by doing a random search on the internet. I will have to check out all its nooks and crannies and hopefully we will get to bounce ideas off one another.

Too bad I have to start off with an apology to ConnClark. I agree the article mentioned was not that good. But like we said you got to start somewhere blah blah blah. And here's another excuse we here at Diesel Power are journalists not researchers. We just describe what we see. Yeah I'll hide behind that until my F-250 perpetual motion machine (as long as the sun is shining) is running.
Here is the article:

Anyways I think I have a solution to testing and creating enough electricity.

Testing: Brake Specific Fuel Consumption BSFC (I need to learn how to do this type of a test)

On-board emissions tester

Creating Electricity:
Waste heat generator=

Drive shaft alternator

Telescoping wind mill (when sitting in parking lots)

A few batteries

Solar panels

People power there will be pedals for the passenger

Black Soldier Fly hopper in bed to reduce garbage and create more biodiesel

Electricity generating shocks

Thermoelectric devices for more waste heat recovery

Algae growing in truck bed on a closed loop system connected to Mcgyan biodiesel generator

We now have 2 full page adds advertising on board hydrogen generators.

What about this.

Last edited by jason.thompson; 05-27-2009 at 08:47 PM..
Old 05-28-2009, 09:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The hydrogen fuel cells do not work.

Period.

it takes 50% more energy to extract H2 and O2 from water than you get when you burn them. Problem solved.

So you start with 100 watts use them all to make H2 and O2 from water. You get x amount of H2 and O2 and you burn it in the engine. It produces 66 watts. You lost 33 watts.

Unless you run the hydrogen generator off of something else that never touches the engine, drivetrain or anything along those lines you will never improve FE. period.

If its running off a solar panel(and you just wanted a way to make electricity into movement without complicated systems) or a stirling engine attached to the exhaust manifold. . .whatever. As long as its truly waste energy and not touching the alt or any of the accessory belts or anything you have to make the engine run harder to do, you will see small FE increase. But if its running on your fuel you are throwing fuel away. Period.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

theunchosen,

I see your perspective and in it your right. Now let me unload some hydrogen propaganda.

The idea of getting your electricity from a source outside the engines crankshaft might help open up hydrogen generators. Considering today's engines produce just as much waste heat as they do work at the wheels.

First of all we need to get on the same page.

Most vehicles have only 25% thermal efficiency. Side note: I don't understand why people use MPG as a way to measure efficiency. You are making more work for yourself. Also I want to pick on ecomodder's mission statement. You guys are not concerned with power? Power is what does work. Fuel efficiency is a result not a thing.

So the unchosen, your example works if our engines were 100% thermal efficient. It is not so simple. Take today's diesel engines which have particulate matter filters. The engine dumps fuel to burn out the ash. A cleaner burning engine requires less fuel dumps. A gasoline engine uses fuel to cool combustion. So why not substitute water+methanol or steam? But I think for gas 3-way-cats to work they need rich 14.7 to 1 fuel mixtures. So leaning them out which you can do with hydrogen might make them not work?

I'm not saying go out and buy anything. It's kind of like this pretend on-board hydrogen generators are a rare species of ants. These ants secrete a liquid which cures cancer. Here I am on my hands and knees with a magnifying glass carefully working to not squish anything which might be under a leaf or twig. Here you are running around screaming at the top of your lungs looking towards the sky and truly believing cancer curing ants couldn't possibly exist.

Last edited by jason.thompson; 05-29-2009 at 12:03 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread