Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013, 11:52 PM   #191 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
The problem with the industrial diesels is that they're *HEAVY* for the power output.

And, an 800 cc industrial diesel, you're looking at around 20 hp assuming watercooled, until you turbo it.

For diesels, the 800 cc 3-cyl used in the Smart ForTwo is an excellent choice - very lightweight with good power density and emissions compliance.
Yes Industrial diesels are heavy for the HP output compared to gas engines of similar displacement. However they are far more dependable and will last far longer if maintained decently.

More advantages are the fuel economy you will get with these engines. Any 2 cylinder industrial diesel in a properly designed light weight aerodynamic vehicle will give you 125-150mpg all day long. A gas engine will not do this for many reasons. So if you are after MPG than an industrial diesel is what you want actually but you can not just drop it in any old vehicle and expect huge MPG numbers its not that easy! The vehicle has to be purpose built from the ground up.

The Smart 800cc diesel will give you over 100mpg in the right vehicle and is not a bad option if you can get one in the US

This is why an industrial diesel is more attractive and in fact a better option compared to the smart diesel. With the industrial diesel you can go with a .5L tiny engine and supercharge it as well as hybridize it to make up for the small displacement when you need it for those rare occasions. The majority of the time however you are taking advantage of the small displacement and fuel miser abilities. Just like in racing you can not make up for displacement well the same goes for ecomodding where fuel economy (MPG) is the number 1 goal!

With the industrial diesel you can easily get it in the US and parts depending on the manufacturer can be easily had. Now I will say this though parts for industrial diesels are not cheap but taken care of you will not have to be purchasing many parts ever besides your oil filter regularly.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-09-2013, 12:08 AM   #192 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
I'd avoid those, they have mediocre quality.

The Ruggerini MD191 and Lombardini 25LD425-2 (same engine, really) are better options if you can find them. Significantly lighter weight, significantly better build quality.

And, not sure how Brazil's laws are, but in the US, running one of those on public roads is just as legal as running a diesel Smart engine - that is, not at all. (Unless you build a three-wheeler, and then license it as the one EPA-exempt motorcycle that you are allowed to build in your lifetime. Or, if you make a serial hybrid, with the generator not being a part of the vehicle, then it only needs to meet off-road emissions standards.)
Not exactly true in fact you can run an industrial diesel all day long legally on our roads in the right cars! It is simple to get a 4 wheel car with an industrial diesel engine licensed. Not sure what state you are in but I have begun researching each state law and so far I have completed all the western states and not 1 would give you any problems!

The funny thing is these engines are less polluting than our current gas cars with all the catalytic converters and other emissions equipment that help jack up the costs and put money in the industry via dealerships.

You would never have to take an industrial diesel to a dealership cuz they are so simple and easy to fix on your own no fancy education or tools required. You just need your service manual and determination to get the job done on these guys.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #193 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
(Jeremy Clarkson voice)
"Is it green?"

(answering himself)
"Yes."

Please excuse me not reading the intervening 20 pages, but I'm pretty sure I can't be the first one to notice the strong resemblance to the Corbin Sparrow aka the Myers NmG?

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #194 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Please excuse me not reading the intervening 20 pages, but I'm pretty sure I can't be the first one to notice the strong resemblance to the Corbin Sparrow aka the Myers NmG?
No, didn't the Myers have dimples?
Old 07-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #195 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Prius - '16 Toyota Prius Three
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
Not exactly true in fact you can run an industrial diesel all day long legally on our roads in the right cars! It is simple to get a 4 wheel car with an industrial diesel engine licensed. Not sure what state you are in but I have begun researching each state law and so far I have completed all the western states and not 1 would give you any problems!
Whether you can get it licensed, and whether it's legal, are two different things.

I could easily get it licensed in Ohio - all Ohio wants is a notarized bill of sale with the engine's serial number on it, to prove it isn't stolen - but because it doesn't meet EPA standards, it's a violation of federal law to put it on the road, even if Ohio says it's legal.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:18 AM   #196 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
The funny thing is these engines are less polluting than our current gas cars with all the catalytic converters and other emissions equipment that help jack up the costs and put money in the industry via dealerships.

You would never have to take an industrial diesel to a dealership cuz they are so simple and easy to fix on your own no fancy education or tools required. You just need your service manual and determination to get the job done on these guys.
One of the pointless features is the OBD-2 mandate. Altough many folks like it because it works with those mileage meters, I'd rather get an all-mechanical Diesel that could still run in a zombie apocalypse instead...
Old 07-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #197 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Prius - '16 Toyota Prius Three
Mind you, a zombie apocalypse won't actually disable electronics, so an OBD-2 engine would be fine.

And, in a zombie apocalypse, efficiency is critical (and electronic engines can be quite a bit more efficient), but so is a modicum of speed (especially if you're dealing with fast zombies, and modern electronic engines can be faster while still being very efficient).

Most things that actually WOULD kill electronics, you've got bigger things to worry about than your car. By far the most likely thing that would do it is an EMP from a nuclear explosion, and if the EMP actually hit it, you're also dealing with blast damage that probably destroyed the car, and fallout.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #198 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
but I'm pretty sure I can't be the first one to notice the strong resemblance to the Corbin Sparrow aka the Myers NmG?
I've driven a Myers NMG and sat in both the front and back seats of the Elio, the Elio is almost twice the size and has the feel of something on par with a Honda Civic, the NMG is much more cramped and has a much sportier feel.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #199 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
I put down my $250 deposit on an Elio this past week.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brucepick For This Useful Post:
RCPlayland (01-11-2014), UltArc (07-19-2013)
Old 08-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #200 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

was looking on the website and they say

"As far as the engine, IAV has designed a great power plant and we will build it in Shreveport, Louisiana."

guess that lets out the metro engine.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, scam