Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2014, 01:25 PM   #71 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
The CBR600 and TSX both use the same filter, so I stocked up on a bunch when the Purolator's were on sale for something like $3/ea. A company called Green Earth Tech often has gallon containers of oil for free after rebate. The company says the oil is synthetic, renewable, biodegradable, and it has the same API rating as everything else. Oregon has no sales tax.

It's possible to do an oil change for well under $10, but that's besides the point. I could also drive my car for the just the cost of gasoline, but I bought a $65 Ultragauge so that I can have more information. The cost of an oil change has little to do with the value of having information about the vehicle. Some people find a periodic oil analysis worth $25-$35, and others do not.

My Dodge/Cummins truck takes 10 quarts of oil. If someone were to take it to a lube shop and get synthetic oil, it would cost a small fortune. Extending the change interval would quickly add up to a lot of savings in this case.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-14-2014, 04:41 PM   #72 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
There is so much wrong w ur post....
But let's start with $10......please post the link to detail the actual true cost of oil and filter and tax to equal $10.
You are fond of using the words "wrong" and "fail". But let's stick to the topic.

I don't buy oil on the web. I buy it by the case when it is on sale at local stores, with a rebate offer. Typically after rebate it averages about $2 per quart. As others have mentioned I stocked up on filters when they were on sale, so I have plenty of them on hand. I keep my cars for many years and stockpiling oil and filters is economically advantageous for me.

No matter what you spend on your oil change, ordering the report will add $35 to the actual cost. Some of us think it's worth it, and some of us think it's not.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:12 PM   #73 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post

But reading the report won't change the condition of the engine any. If my engine is getting old and it has high mileage on it, I already know that without buying the report.

You still need to change the oil sooner or later. Oil is relatively inexpensive and you'll never go wrong by changing it sooner, rather later

Report plus DIY oil change = $45.
You can certainly stick you head in the sand And have no idea about the condition of your engine....not everyone drive a pos w lots of miles....oh but if I did, I'd dang sure like to know how it js wearing!

Odd someone on econmodder wastes oil just because....kinda flys in the face of what your doing, doesn't it???
Many here have argued rather passionately that to change oil too soon is as bad as driving a hummer.

While you are entitled to your opinion ....it seem to have little validity with facts or the purpose of the website

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Old 05-14-2014, 05:22 PM   #74 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
You are fond of using the words "wrong" and "fail". But let's stick to the topic.

I don't buy oil on the web. I buy it by the case when it is on sale at local stores, with a rebate offer. Typically after rebate it averages about $2 per quart. As others have mentioned I stocked up on filters when they were on sale, so I have plenty of them on hand. I keep my cars for many years and stockpiling oil and filters is economically advantageous for me.

No matter what you spend on your oil change, ordering the report will add $35 to the actual cost. Some of us think it's worth it, and some of us think it's not.
Since you don't post a vehicle .... Does it only use 4 quarts ??
Again 90% of vehicles use at least 5 quarts

My point is you make random comments that reduce your credibility

Again (failed to read) by ordering a report you can do LESS oil changes so it doesn't add to the cost (fail =10 +35)

And it is alittle oxymoronic to go to all the trouble to save money on oil and filter then wastefully use it up???

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Old 05-14-2014, 10:18 PM   #75 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
Since you don't post a vehicle .... Does it only use 4 quarts ??
Again 90% of vehicles use at least 5 quarts
You FAILED (that's one of your favorite provocative words) to read my response. I have older cars. Do you remember my saying that in my previous post? What difference, at this point, does it make? Or are you too busy preparing your next attack, rather than reading and comprehending responses made to you?

Quote:
My point is you make random comments that reduce your credibility
At your demand, I already explained my position to you. That's not a "random comment". Others described their strategies for their oil changes too. Everyone does what suits them best, but you seem annoyed by that. What I said about my situation is true, whether you choose to believe it or not. No one here need explain or prove themselves to your satisfaction.

Do you aspire to be the Oil Change NAZI of this list?

Quote:
Again (failed to read) by ordering a report you can do LESS oil changes so it doesn't add to the cost (fail =10 +35)
Can you ever let go of your favorite attack word of "failed" about anything with which you disagree? I simply don't agree with you, but that makes you angry and aggressive in your responses. I did read and understand the entire thread. What you are promoting may be true in some circumstances. Some might be able to change oil less frequently, and perhaps break even, especially if using more expensive, synthetic oil. I am not denying that. But the reality is that ordering the report does cost $35 over and above the cost of doing the inevitable oil change. That's an undeniable economic reality. And some of us don't think it's worth it.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:59 PM   #76 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Matchbox - '93 Ford Festiva L
Team Ford
Last 3: 70.16 mpg (US)

Salamander - '99 Chrysler Concorde LXI
Team Dodge
90 day: 30.3 mpg (US)

Urquhart - '97 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 3.4L DLX
Pickups
90 day: 25.81 mpg (US)

Smudge - '98 Toyota Tacoma
90 day: 40.65 mpg (US)

Calebro - '15 Renault Trafic 1.25 dci
90 day: 39.39 mpg (US)
This thread is winning
Old 05-15-2014, 12:24 AM   #77 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It's nice to have information about what is going on inside the motor.

It's not required to have the information.

It's worth the $35 to some of us. It's not worth it to others.

Plenty of room for people on both sides.

I had a few analyses done on my CRX. I found that an extra-long oil change interval on it resulted in significant amounts of wear metals--not so good. I will have one done on my MINI at the next oil change, if I can talk the dealer into filling up the little sample cup. I'm curious to see what the levels are.

-soD
Old 05-15-2014, 03:52 AM   #78 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
My car is in for service today, having done 20,000 km since the last oil change (the OEM service interval for oil for my car)
I'm changing to Honda Green Oil this time, and hope to do another 20,000 km on that.

I get a sample of the current oil to have that tested, and the remains in the bottle to have that tested together with what comes out of the engine at the next oil change.
I'll have all three samples tested. That should tell me whether the thinner Green Oil causes more wear or not, and how much the Green Oil has degraded over 20,000 km.

I doubt if I can save money this way, but I just want to know. It is my hobby.
Hopefully in a year I can show something relevant.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:22 AM   #79 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
I wonder how well the test can detect wear metals. Shouldn't the filter catch most of it? Perhaps metals from engine wear are small enough to slip through the filter.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 05-15-2014, 03:40 PM   #80 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The filter will catch small flakes and smaller bits.

It won't catch microscopic particles--there will be particles that are too small for the filter media to trap. And those will actually be the majority of the wear particles under most circumstances. They're generally small enough that they do not cause extra wear, unless there are a whole lot of them, at which point they can start acting like an abrasive to some of the other important bits in the engine.

Iron particles are relatively common. Chromium is not, and when you start seeing lead and tin and copper you know you have started chewing up your bearings.

-soD

The Following User Says Thank You to some_other_dave For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (05-15-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
drive less, oil, oil change