Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #21 (permalink)
Scandinavian creature

Golf ball - '94 Volkswagen Golf III
90 day: 28.46 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Please clarify how these kill switches work? Do you hold the button down for the duration of the coast?
I hold the button until i see the battery icon(not charging). Usually takes 1-2sec until i can release.
When you want to start the car, release the clutch and instantly push it back, or else you will slow down too much.

But holding the button too long wont harm anything

Brrrmm
Now selling preassembled MPGuino's!
http://www.mthtek.net/mpguino/
The Following User Says Thank You to Quezacotl For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (09-15-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Frogger - '00 Honda Insight Gas Only (unHybrid)
90 day: 68.51 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quezacotl View Post
By the way, NoD~, what's ASD relay?
ASD = Automatic Shutdown Relay (It's a Dodge thing); it's the relay that the ECU uses to "turn on" both fuel injectors and ignition system. W/o this relay, the car cranks over, but never starts (no fuel, no spark). When you turn the key back to kill the engine, like I did before the button, it ECU turned off this relay to kill the engine. So, the button basically mimics what the ECU does anyways by removing ground from the relay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Please clarify how these kill switches work? Do you hold the button down for the duration of the coast?
Just like you would with pulling the key back for a few seconds, then putting it back on (but not to the START, where the starter kicks in to get your engine going again), you hold the button for a few seconds. If I throw it in neutral and and it's idling at ~1K RPM, it only takes about 1-2 seconds until the engine reaches 0RPM. If I'm higher, like 3K RPM, it may take a bit longer, 2-3 seconds, because it has to drop quite a bit higher. Worse case scenario, you don't hold it long enough and the engine re-engages and will kick back up like you just started it. This happened a lot with the key, but has not happened once since I put the killswitch in.

Also, you have a bit of an "indicator" with the killswitch you wouldn't have had with the key. The key disables the cluster, which means you don't see the oil light kick on or check engine light turn off when the engine stops running (lol, not everybody will have the CEL though). With the kill switch, I just press and hold until the CEL turns off and the oil light kicks on. At that point, I know the engine is definitely off.
The Following User Says Thank You to NoD~ For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (09-15-2012)
Old 01-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Rodney - '00 Plymouth Neon Base
90 day: 33.05 mpg (US)

Tojo - '99 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 34.99 mpg (US)
Sorry to dig up a 4 month old post!

NoD~ ,
I have a 2000 neon, which I know is a different body style than yours. I Currently have tapped into the blue wire from the ignition switch which still kills the dash. I was hoping to find a way to kill the engine without killing the dash. I was thinking of tying into the voltage to the coil pack or the fuel injectors. THEN...I stumbled across this post. I have since begun researching this ASD and am a bit confused. All the wiring diagrams I can find show 2 red/wht wires into teh ASD and a dark blu/yel and dk grn/org out of it. The dk blu/yel is the relay control voltage, but I see no ground wire in any of the diagrams. So, my question is if I splice my switch into the dk blu/yel wire this should work ...correct? Also, where did you locate the wire you tied into, under the dash or in the engine compartment? Any help would be appreciated.
Ottis
Goal is 47 MPG

Old 02-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Frogger - '00 Honda Insight Gas Only (unHybrid)
90 day: 68.51 mpg (US)
^^ Sorry for the delayed response...

There is a wire that goes from the computer to the ASD relay... that computer controls the ground. I can't remember the wire colors off the top of my head, not even sure if those same colors are on the 2nd gen neons (probably are). I'll have to go out and look and see what one I tapped into...

anyways, the way I found that and tapped it, is I actually torn apart my wiring harness from the ECU all the way back to under the fuse/relay box under the hook. I took the back of that box off and made sure of the wire. From there, you can cut the wire anywhere and connect your switch wiring. As long as the switch allows connection, it will act like it always has. When the switch is pressed, the relay "thinks" the car's computer told it to stop giving spark and fuel, shutting the engine off, which ultimately tells the computer to stop giving the ground to the relay, hence "killing" the engine.

I'll see if I can't find what wire that was for ya.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #25 (permalink)
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
For those with 2006 or newer RAM trucks, Dodge replaced the ASD relay and integrated it into the TIPM(Totally Integrated Power Module). Guess it's a good thing I bought a bunch of relays...looks like I'll need them for an EOC switch.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Rodney - '00 Plymouth Neon Base
90 day: 33.05 mpg (US)

Tojo - '99 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 34.99 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoD~ View Post
^^ Sorry for the delayed response...

There is a wire that goes from the computer to the ASD relay... that computer controls the ground. I can't remember the wire colors off the top of my head, not even sure if those same colors are on the 2nd gen neons (probably are). I'll have to go out and look and see what one I tapped into...

anyways, the way I found that and tapped it, is I actually torn apart my wiring harness from the ECU all the way back to under the fuse/relay box under the hook. I took the back of that box off and made sure of the wire. From there, you can cut the wire anywhere and connect your switch wiring. As long as the switch allows connection, it will act like it always has. When the switch is pressed, the relay "thinks" the car's computer told it to stop giving spark and fuel, shutting the engine off, which ultimately tells the computer to stop giving the ground to the relay, hence "killing" the engine.

I'll see if I can't find what wire that was for ya.
Thanks for the response. I am going to splice the wire back together from the ignition switch and tap into the ASD wiring. I like the idea better, and then I will not lose my dash!

Goal is 47 MPG

Reply  Post New Thread