Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2022, 11:02 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I'm curious how long you have been in Oregon because it is very humid here for half the year during the rainy season. Summers are dry of course but the winter is very damp and humid. Moss will grow on cars if they are left parked outside. Mold will grow in your house if you don't regulate the inside humidity.

Inside you do need a dehumidifier if you don't have a furnace that also removes moisture. When we went from a forced air furnace to a ductless heat pump we had to add a dehumidifier. We pull about 3 gallons of water out of the air a day keeping our 1000 sq ft house at 60% humidity.

Birmingham, AL has an average humidity of 70%. Portland, OR has an average humidity of 73% (with 3 months above 80%)

Birmingham

Portland
relative humidity means absolutely nothing. what matters is DEW point. do some research on DEW POINT and how its the true measure of humidity. if youre just going off relative humidity, than PHOENIX ARIZONA is more humid than PORTLAND OREGON. which ITS NOT. trust me. been to both places plenty of times in the summer. oregon is nowhere as dry as phoenix summers even though the weather apps will show phoenix being more humid. then youll go check the dew point and phoenix dew point will be like 11f while oregon is 45f...

we open our windows all window and like the sound of rain and never run the heat. even use a humidifer sometimes since it adds more moisture and heat and no mold problems...

again, look up the difference in DEW point between birmingham and portland. its not even close...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-22-2022, 02:01 PM   #52 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
we open our windows all window and like the sound of rain and never run the heat. even use a humidifer sometimes since it adds more moisture and heat and no mold problems...
Now this is getting even weirder. You never run your heat - in Portland - in the winter? The average temperature is in the 40s from November thru March. Either you are VERY warm blooded or you are living in an apartment or other multi-family home where your neighbors are heating and drying the air in the building.

That happens to me when I'm in a hotel in the winter. I have the A/C running in my room because the building temperature is WAY too warm. We keep our house in the high 60's in the winter and it seems most hotels are low to mid 70's in the winter. If I turn off the A/C my room temperature is back to the 70's in a few hours.

BTW - Phoenix is not even close to being more humid than Portland or Birmingham

Old 05-22-2022, 09:02 PM   #53 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Quote:
Now this is getting even weirder. You never run your heat - in Portland - in the winter? The average temperature is in the 40s from November thru March. Either you are VERY warm blooded or you are living in an apartment or other multi-family home where your neighbors are heating and drying the air in the building.

That happens to me when I'm in a hotel in the winter. I have the A/C running in my room because the building temperature is WAY too warm. We keep our house in the high 60's in the winter and it seems most hotels are low to mid 70's in the winter. If I turn off the A/C my room temperature is back to the 70's in a few hours.

BTW - Phoenix is not even close to being more humid than Portland or Birmingham

Stop looking up humidity and look up dew point. That’s what matters. But yes as of right now, Phoenix is drier than Oregon for todays forecast. Like it is most days. I’m saying that some freaky days happen where it’s more humid there than here

And I’ll turn the heat on in the morning on like the snow days we had around Christmas and close the windows after I wake up. Still sleep with the windows open even when it was snowing. And yes I’m very warm blooded. I wish I could move to Alaska or the Rockies. It was horrible living in the Deep South and also Arizona most of my life.
Old 05-23-2022, 04:08 PM   #54 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wow phase. I'm glad you were finally getting the the relief in life that you needed. I personally know several people that if the temperature gets above 75 they literally want to go hide out in a cave somewhere haha I know I don't sleep very well if I'm too hot and I'm not much of an air conditioning person. If I'm on a road trip delivering trucks, sometimes it takes almost 3 days out before I'm halfway used to hearing a air conditioner in a motel room as I'm trying to sleep. In the winter time, I can be in a motel in the middle of Montana when it's very frigid outside, and with other motel rooms beside me and maybe below me, I don't have to turn the heat on at all. I certainly do agree that you're in the Pacific Northwest we do have winter humidity issues. I have heard examples of women that moved out of certain apartment buildings because they found mold on their cupboards are in their closet Etc. When my ex traveled with me from North Carolina so I could visit my folks out here while still living back there oh, she certainly remarked it how bitter the air in February felt to her here, as the chill to the air definitely was very moisture influenced. I was mildly surprised at all you guys took this humidity thing to the 11th degree in discussion here but it's very interesting. Yes absolutely, if you have a fourth or fifth vehicle sitting around outside that doesn't move much yes it will start growing stuff on it. The hardest to remove is green on the window moldings especially if it's an older car that has felt like material. But bottom line when I introduce this humidity subject, I was just simply referring to, Summer enjoyability. I'll never forget my very first day stepping out of a vehicle in June in Asheville North Carolina. Stand on a sidewalk, count 1001 1000 to 1003 and the armpits are already literally dripping. That is the extreme drastic Nest that I am referring to. I hear so many people around here complain about warmer weather, and most of them have never traveled east of the Mississippi River, or even to halfway across Nebraska or 3/4 the way across Texas and any other equivalents. Speaking of weather, the real North and Northeast guys or gals can certainly give us a earful about cold places in dealing with their extremes. I had a truck freeze up on me in Eastern Montana even though I was putting anti gel aftermarket stuff into the tank, and I had to hole up in that town for 3 days for the vehicle to be fixed. Diesel number one was not available to me at common truck stops in the area, and that's what I needed in the circumstances I was in. I had to sit in a motel room for three days, and all during that time the high temperatures were in the mid-minus twenties with the wind blowing like crazy. I had to go outside to assist the guys that came in tow the truck I had with a chain to a warehouse about a mile and a half away so it could be inside and somewhat melt out so they could pump the old fuel out of it eventually to replace with diesel number one. It was so bitter I had every conceivable warm thing I could find to wear with several layers and with good gloves and I could not stand to be outside for more than six minutes at a time. Naturally 90% of that problem was simply the wind, as I have lived in Montana for a couple years when I was a little kid and I've traveled through several times and felt somewhat cold before but never like what I just explained. Yes, people do get used to their areas because wherever you grow up that's considered to be your normal.
06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]
Old 05-28-2022, 05:31 PM   #55 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Earlier this week I told a guy from Ceará who enjoys playing Forza Horizon that I see some "videogame cars" while walking the dog in Porto Alegre. And today I spotted a C8 'Vette...
Old 05-30-2022, 01:52 AM   #56 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Cx9 - '18 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring
90 day: 31.41 mpg (US)

Prius - '10 Toyota Prius III
90 day: 57.8 mpg (US)

Tundra - '00 Tundra V6 long bed base work truck
90 day: 19.4 mpg (US)
Quote:

I never used the heater when I lived in Portland. It never dipped into the teens when I lived there and, being in a small ~700 sqft 1 bedroom house, my interior temperature would easily stay 30 degrees warmer than outside between the showers, cooking, and computer all cranking out heat.

I would have used A/C in July & August, but the house was built before A/C. Thankfully I was rarely home during the day and it almost always cooled off by the time I'd get home at night.

The only thing I hated about Portland weather was the freezing rain. Nope Nope Nope. I like driving sideways as much as anyone, but trying to keep my summer-tired MR2 pointed in the right direction on those icy knolls was nerve-wracking.
Old 06-02-2022, 12:50 AM   #57 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

I only use a portable heater in my hometown when I want to pre-heat the bathroom and it's exceptionally cold, as there is not much a culture of having a fully-heated house in my country. Well, nowadays that most residential air conditioners also have a heating function, it's a different matter for people who have HVAC at home, which is not my case. I only use fans and a portable heater at home. My father OTOH often uses the portable heater when he comes to my apartment during winter.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:46 PM   #58 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Today I saw a '51 Chevrolet. Have already seen that very same beauty a few months ago, but nowadays it's definitely an unusual sight...
Old 06-20-2022, 01:32 AM   #59 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
I was at a swap meet today, but I didn't have my camera. There was a VW rat rod there that had big and little tires, a chopped top, crotch coolers (51-52) and a big back window (58 and later), a satin lace panel paint job with shop logo on the doors.

It had a plate aluminum shark fin three fee long and a foot 'n a half high [with speed holes] on the roof.

My neighbor said he got some pictures. I pocketed $60 for pieces and parts.

Old 06-20-2022, 09:38 PM   #60 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
There was a VW rat rod there that had big and little tires, a chopped top, crotch coolers (51-52) and a big back window (58 and later), a satin lace panel paint job with shop logo on the doors.
It's been a while that I don't see a Beetle with a chopped top. IIRC the last one I remember seeing was in 2016 in Florianópolis. Honestly, besides being a bad setup due to the lack of headroom and even poorer visibility, I also dislike the looks of a chopped top.

Reply  Post New Thread