Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Found an HF! Kinda rough though; need opinions.

I found a not-so-pretty 89 HF equipped with non-working A/C. The owner says it burns a little blue smoke when say, you're coasting at highway speed, then get back on the gas--it'll throw a little blue smoke out. It also leaks some oil from the drain plug of the oil pan, so not sure if it's a stripped pan hole or what. It has 280,xxx miles and the owner says it still gets the great HF gas mileage. I got him down to $1,050--I'd like to know your guys' thoughts on if this's a sound buy for the money, or if I should keep searching.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
For $1050 it might be alright, your fix could be as cheap as a $2 PCV valve. It's either that, or the rings are worn and the engine needs a complete rebuild, but that would probably show up in the gas mileage. Might be a good idea to check if there's any oil in the coolant.

Got any pics?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
MickZ (12-03-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
For $1050 it might be alright, your fix could be as cheap as a $2 PCV valve. It's either that, or the rings are worn and the engine needs a complete rebuild, but that would probably show up in the gas mileage. Might be a good idea to check if there's any oil in the coolant.

Got any pics?
Having an issue getting the pic but I'll upload it ASAP. I'll also check the coolant; thanks for that. I've heard that cars could smoke a bit and still last quite a while, moreso if I treated it with one of the good oil additives out there. Obviously the worst kind of smoking I think are the cars that sit there putting out blue smoke at idle, but I'm no mechanic. I figure if I could stretch 100k out of this thing for a thousand bucks with little consequence, then it should be a win.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I imagine peeling the cheesy racing stripe off as soon as it's home. Forgot to ask if he has the original wheels too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	11990  
Old 12-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Always Too Busy

White Lightning - '17 Nissan Leaf SV
Team Leaf
90 day: 159.47 mpg (US)
My $0.02, I don't think it's worth it... being that engine and transmission rebuilds are $$$ (and with 280k miles on it you don't know what kind of shape the trans is in), plus the body's got some rust and that will only get worse as time goes on. If you factor in all the work you'll have to do it's not worth it.

Unless you're specifically looking for a project to keep you busy and don't mind driving something around that you constantly have to worry over it breaking down, I'd avoid this and get something that costs a bit more but won't require as much time and money. That's what I did when I traded in my pickup.

Either way keep us updated! Cheers.

Current Car: White Lightning

----------------------------------------------

Retired Car: Betty White
The Following User Says Thank You to Flakbadger For This Useful Post:
MickZ (12-04-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakbadger View Post
My $0.02, I don't think it's worth it... being that engine and transmission rebuilds are $$$ (and with 280k miles on it you don't know what kind of shape the trans is in), plus the body's got some rust and that will only get worse as time goes on. If you factor in all the work you'll have to do it's not worth it.

Unless you're specifically looking for a project to keep you busy and don't mind driving something around that you constantly have to worry over it breaking down, I'd avoid this and get something that costs a bit more but won't require as much time and money. That's what I did when I traded in my pickup.

Either way keep us updated! Cheers.
Thank you for being a voice of reason on this huge "question mark" purchase! I was very skeptical myself and your post just confirms my skepticism. This car seems a gamble at best..

I'll keep you all updated as I have a line on a 91' now with no A/C (kinda sad about that) but otherwise has a newer HF motor bearing 90k and a solidly rebuilt transmission for $2500. Why do these finds have to be across the country though
Old 12-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rusty crusty trusty - '94 Honda Civic Cx
90 day: 36.13 mpg (US)

Vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
90 day: 49.97 mpg (US)
All Hondas seem to smoke a bit when they hit 200 000. Not always horrible but as stated above it will need attention. How handy are you? My last 500$ car 94 cx needed front brakes and one year later done nothing to it. Looks like crap but purrs like a kitten. Old show up with 700$ and if you get it great if not walk away. I think some of those a/c parts are no longer available new. So a/c might be a dream. You could always retrofit it into your car. Hondas are easy. Just be patient. You'll find one heck there is a really nice vx in Ohio on eBay. And that's only 6-8 hours away.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty94cx For This Useful Post:
MickZ (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty94cx View Post
All Hondas seem to smoke a bit when they hit 200 000. Not always horrible but as stated above it will need attention. How handy are you? My last 500$ car 94 cx needed front brakes and one year later done nothing to it. Looks like crap but purrs like a kitten. Old show up with 700$ and if you get it great if not walk away. I think some of those a/c parts are no longer available new. So a/c might be a dream. You could always retrofit it into your car. Hondas are easy. Just be patient. You'll find one heck there is a really nice vx in Ohio on eBay. And that's only 6-8 hours away.
Wow, so, call me ignorant, but I never knew of the 92-95 Civic VXs, getting HF-like gas mileage..WITH A BACK SEAT! My search just effectively changed from a CRX to a VX. For so many reasons, the biggest being a wife and now son, having my econo-box have a back seat is a solid win. The shortfall-the wife still keeps away from the driver seat of a sitck shift car as if it'd physically bite her-minor shortfall at any rate. I found one for cheap and one that's likely to get expensive, the latter being the one Rusty mentioned on Ebay. The cheap one has a salvage title but otherwise runs strong, according to the owner, and with no visible signs of frame damage or what have you. One thing, it has the d15z1 motor. Is this what I'm looking for for top gas mileage, or is the other motor with VTEC-E just as good with a bit more power and better technology?
Old 12-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickZ View Post
it has the d15z1 motor. Is this what I'm looking for for top gas mileage, or is the other motor with VTEC-E just as good with a bit more power and better technology?
The d15z1 is the stock Vtec-E that came in the Civic VX.

It's worth while looking at a few photos of stock VX engine compartments so you have a frame of reference when you are looking at cars to buy because there are very few after market exhaust systems, or intakes that do anything but hurt the vx fuel economy and increase wear.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
MickZ (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
The d15z1 is the stock Vtec-E that came in the Civic VX.

It's worth while looking at a few photos of stock VX engine compartments so you have a frame of reference when you are looking at cars to buy because there are very few after market exhaust systems, or intakes that do anything but hurt the vx fuel economy and increase wear.
So in other words, I want to make sure the car wasn't and isn't currently being molested by some crappy aftermarket "mods" such as the ones you mentioned?

Another quick question: I combed the web a bit searching motor options for the 92-95 model years Civic VX and mainly only found the d15z1 as the motor option, yet I searched the EPA's website and when given the option of inputting the motor information, there's two options-1.5L (FFS) and a 1.5L (FFS) SIL, with the latter SIL netting better gas mileage. I could've swore I saw another engine option aside from the d15z1 with HP into the low 100s.

All of this help is highly appreciated as I'll be making a purchase likely (and hopefully) this week.

Last edited by MickZ; 12-04-2012 at 01:14 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread