Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2009, 07:03 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

For electronically controlled transmissions, could a "clutch pedal" be added that puts the transmission in neutral when all the way down, normal operation midway, and TC forced lockup when not pressed? It would emulate the operation of a manual clutch, though without the fine degree of control. (A switch can be used to disable forced TC locking in situations where it would be undesirable.)

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #42 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
For electronically controlled transmissions, could a "clutch pedal" be added that puts the transmission in neutral when all the way down, normal operation midway, and TC forced lockup when not pressed? It would emulate the operation of a manual clutch, though without the fine degree of control. (A switch can be used to disable forced TC locking in situations where it would be undesirable.)
Yessir, it can be done, but it would require 2 limit switches and a mid-range switch, plus some extensive wiring/circuitry, and it would be based on transmission type, so a "universal" setup would be hard to do.

It would also require more than a few mins worth of mounting, since there usually isn't room next to the auto's brake pedal.

The best use I can find for a clutch pedal in a automatic is the same use it has for manuals - neutral.

In the case where you've upgraded your auto to be used EOC-style, use the clutch pedal and key off to coast, start 'er up, let out on the pedal, and you're back in gear.

This could be done with hydraulic automagic transmissions too, but it would require more extensive work, because a hydraulic valve would have to be placed and actuated in the transmission that would allow the pedal to activate the neutral gate in the transmission that allows fluid to bypass the clutches.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:31 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Yessir, it can be done, but it would require 2 limit switches and a mid-range switch, plus some extensive wiring/circuitry, and it would be based on transmission type, so a "universal" setup would be hard to do.

It would also require more than a few mins worth of mounting, since there usually isn't room next to the auto's brake pedal.

The best use I can find for a clutch pedal in a automatic is the same use it has for manuals - neutral.

In the case where you've upgraded your auto to be used EOC-style, use the clutch pedal and key off to coast, start 'er up, let out on the pedal, and you're back in gear.

This could be done with hydraulic automagic transmissions too, but it would require more extensive work, because a hydraulic valve would have to be placed and actuated in the transmission that would allow the pedal to activate the neutral gate in the transmission that allows fluid to bypass the clutches.
No, it only needs two switches - one that activates when the pedal is all the way down to put the transmission in neutral and another that activates when the pedal is all the way up to force TC locking. A separate dash switch can be used to prevent forced TC locking so it will not be necessary to hold the pedal if forced TC locking is undesired. (Or a double spring setup can be used so merely resting your foot on the pedal will disable forced TC locking.)

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Old 09-11-2009, 11:34 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
No, it only needs two switches - one that activates when the pedal is all the way down to put the transmission in neutral and another that activates when the pedal is all the way up to force TC locking. A separate dash switch can be used to prevent forced TC locking so it will not be necessary to hold the pedal if forced TC locking is undesired. (Or a double spring setup can be used so merely resting your foot on the pedal will disable forced TC locking.)
Yup, you're right. I (for some reason) took "normal operation" as another switched state... as though it were somehow forcing the transmission to act abnormally...

Old 09-12-2009, 06:38 PM   #45 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Neutral question.

How would a neutral switch be wired? The solenoid combinations are all used up but there must be another control input for neutral. If it's not another solenoid then what is it? This little tidbit has been left out of the instructions I have seen so far including the transmission course.

Can you put it in neutral with other solenoids powered? Is it an override situation?

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:03 PM   #46 (permalink)

I think neutral is an override, actually. It's nothing to do w/ the solenoids, it would be a matter of actually causing a neutral shift in the linkage.

Even the electronically controlled transmissions have to use fluid to shift... it's just that shifting is controlled by a series of solenoids that are activated by a fluid switch, rather than a series of valves actuated by a lever.

The neutral switch would have to open the neutral valve on the transmission. I'm not sure how exactly to do that, honestly.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:55 AM   #47 (permalink)
eco....something or other

wood hauler - '91 Ford F-250
Team Pontiac
90 day: 18.97 mpg (US)

Rav - '06 Toyota Rav4 Base
90 day: 26.52 mpg (US)
maybe one of the wires from the shift lever box

on the tranny opens the neutral dump. There is a bunch of wires where the shift linkage meets the tranny if i remember right.

1991 F-250:
4.9L, Mazda 5 speed, 4.10 10.25" rear
Old 09-13-2009, 12:10 PM   #48 (permalink)

Isaac, that box of wires is the shift solenoid.

In a hydraulic transmission, you have a series of gate valves inside, and the shift lever actuates them.

On an electronic transmission, the forward gears are actuated by a series of solenoids that you activate when putting it into a forward gear.

This, of course, is as far as I know.

You, could actually be correct, though. I hadn't really thought of that, and having limited experience with A/T, I can't say for sure that this isn't the way it is.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:46 PM   #49 (permalink)

Team Pontiac

on my tranny the solenoid wires come in thr front of the tranny

so the wires by the shift linkage must be for neutral and reverse and cruise sensors. some of the wires head to the computer and some run to the cruise box and others run to the dash i think, or maybe brake pedal. wish i had a full schematic.....I THINK WE ARE GETTING CLOSE FOLKS, it just takes time....i think if we can figure out how to make a manumatic it will only require slight tweaking for diff vehicles. has anyone found a good/ decent shifter and clutch? i havent looked around too much yet....heads off to google to look.

1991 F-250:
Old 09-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #50 (permalink)

Team Pontiac

I found a shifter that might work....they say it has realistic gates

shifter with interchangable plates

1991 F-250:
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags