Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009, 11:54 AM   #31 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange4boy View Post
Anyone know of a good video game shifter? That would already have the microswitches built right in. Heck, my elec-trak has a video game joystick so It'll fit right in.
Hey, there you go. Then you'd have a shifter with short throws that could mount on top of the console.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #32 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
In stock form it shifts too late (for FE), With the TC lock, it shifts too early for the rpm.
A while ago, I tried loosening the kickdown linkage which just made the shifts slower and soggier. On the Toyotas, tightening it it changes the pressure in the valve body and makes the shifts harder and quicker. Supposedly this reduces wear on the clutches. If tightened, it jumps a bit when you put it in first or reverse gear. It does not seem to change the shift points although I should confirm this with my new tach. The other suggestions, I don't know.

Yes, I can downshift and upshift normally so the wrong gear thing is not a big deal, just kind of embarrassing in a new driver sort of way. There does not seem to be any shift shock at the throttle positions I am shifting at. you can feel it shift more positively but i wouldn't call it shock. Way more "shock" when I downshift in stock form and there is no prohibition against that.
The general rule, due to the way things are constructed in both types, is that Automatic trannies, you shift hard and fast, and manuals, you shift slow and deliberately.

I know for a fact I can take a brand new transmission and grind gears w/ the clutch fully disengaged, by jamming the synchros. (Shifting like a ricer, with all the torque my arm can put on the shifter) I've broken shifter levers demonstrating how NOT to shift a manual. (Aluminum short throw shifters)

In an automatic, the clutches are allowed to slip so that the gears aren't engaged as quickly. It's an NVH concern that "shift shock" might disrupt the "driving" experience for consumers. If you can get it to shift firmer, take comfort in the added shift shock by knowing that your transmission will last longer than the next guy, because you're not subjecting the clutches to extra wear. Automatics shift into the next gear before releasing the first one, which is why the clutches are allowed to slip. Higher pressure causes the scenario to play out faster, meaning a harder gear engagement, more positive shift feel, and less slippage.

This also equates to less heat generated.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:59 PM   #33 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Nice project, orange4boy. If I were doomed... I mean stuck with an automatic, this is something I would definitely pursue.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 09-10-2009, 11:11 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Nice project, orange4boy. If I were doomed... I mean stuck with an automatic, this is something I would definitely pursue.
orange4boy - Dude, you've done it. You've gotten me to look further into it. According to Hayne's, there is an electronic solenoid that locks the TC in my transmission, even though the trans itself is hydraulic, not electronic. I'm going to take a look for the wires in some less-than-visible places under the hood, so I'll update my thread with progress if I make any. Hopefully, I can kife a microswitch from my Father, who works for ShopVac and gets them like they're candy.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:10 AM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Quote:
there is an electronic solenoid that locks the TC in my transmission,
Cool beans, daddy-o!

You will love it. My TC lock wire came right out of the main ECU pinout which made it a snap to wire. I hope yours is as easy.

I was grovelling for the oil masters today. I finally changed the ATF today and for the first time dropped fully synth 5-20 into the ICE. The tranny felt much better after and didn't slip as much in first. I'm going to do it again soon because the thing takes 6 qt and I could only drain 2.5. I wish there was a way to drain more. Crap. I just remembered, I was going to try to drain the ATF rad. Oh well, Ill do that next time. Can you do that with low pressure compressed air?

Quote:
If I were doomed... I mean stuck with an automatic, this is something I would definitely pursue.
I don't feel nearly as doomed as I did before the switch. Wait... Are there degrees of doomed?
Old 09-11-2009, 12:26 AM   #36 (permalink)

You can actually use the TC to siphon the fluid from your transmission by identifying the pump's output line (to the cooler) and draining a qt from it, then adding a quart back to the fluid's filler neck.

Of course, if you're comfortable pulling the transmission, you could just drain the torque converter. Some have suggested just running it dry in neutral, as well, but I'm not sure I'd practice that way.

When I did the fluid in my wife's Saturn, the torque converter was easy to get to, since the engine was out already. I drained both, then added 7 qts of fluid to the transmission and ran it through the gears for a few mins before taking off for the first time.

Somewhere, there is a dipstick kit for her transmission, and I'm going to get it. It's supposed to be a sealed unit that doesn't require service. (rofl)

Old 09-11-2009, 07:32 AM   #37 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Daily Driver - '02 Pontiac Grand Prix SE
90 day: 18.45 mpg (US)
My Grand Prix would really benefit from this. At 30mph in 3rd, its at 1050rpm, and accelerates quite well. It has the torque, but it won't hold the gear. Heck, even 4th has the torque to go up the hills around here. I really should do this to my GP, if I can.

Christ, are you talking about Cara or the GP?
Old 09-11-2009, 02:26 PM   #38 (permalink)

Your GP is electronically controlled... as such, you can shift into first, floor it, and never worry about over-revving the engine. It will shift when your tach gets into the yellow/orange area. Neat feature. Granny did the same. Didn't make her any faster, but it still sounded cool!

I'm talking about Cara here, but I researched some on Granny, as well.. I never got around to doing anything w/ Granny, b/c it was the wife's car, and she'd never use it.

I gave Granny to my Father last week because my Wife has the Saturn now, and he needed a spare... no point in making him buy a new to him car when I had an extra, right?

Old 09-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Quote:
I really should do this to my GP, if I can. Christ, are you talking about Cara or the GP?
Quote:
Your GP is electronically controlled...
I think that's a "yes, you can". I think most if not all ECTs have a solenoid for TCC lock and most modern autos have TCC lock up.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:53 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
I think that's a "yes, you can". I think most if not all ECTs have a solenoid for TCC lock and most modern autos have TCC lock up.
Ya know what?! I didn't answer the damn question, did I?

Yes, you can manually lock up your GP. The only thing is figuring out what kind of signal your TCU expects to see/give and making the same signal. It's not always as simple as a switch inline, sometimes you need an entire circuit (not necessarily in your case) to mock the TCU's signal.

This is something you'll have to research in places like 60degreeV6.com and other sites.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
lockup, lockup switch, torque converter