Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2009, 01:38 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

moby van - '03 Dodge Caravan SE
90 day: 19.74 mpg (US)
Do I understand correctly that the momentary application of 12v initiates lock-up and it stays locked or do you have to hold the momentary switch? In my case, since the circuit gets grounded to lock up I will need to provide voltage to the computer end of the circuit to fool it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Quote:
Do I understand correctly that the momentary application of 12v initiates lock-up and it stays locked or do you have to hold the momentary switch? In my case, since the circuit gets grounded to lock up I will need to provide voltage to the computer end of the circuit to fool it.
Are you sure you don't have that backwards?

In the Previa, the TC lock is engaged as long as 12V is applied to the signal wire that goes to the solenoid. I will have to hold the switch to keep it engaged. I will later install a parallel on off switch so I can leave it on on the highway with out having to hold the momentary. I need the momentary for island driving because of the speed changes on my route and because the gearing is too low for the shift from first to second so I have to engage the lock part way through second gear.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:51 PM   #23 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Can you set up a circuit with a momentary switch that will turn it on/off based on pushes?

First push - on indefinitely
Second push - off indefinitely
Brake application - off if currently on, nothing if nothing.

I'd think one of the nice programmer people here could program a controller for you, if you ask nicely.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:55 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I just wired up another, better switch. It's two, two, two switches in one. A toggle and a momentary, side by side. I wired them up parallel and it works great. My brain on the other hand, not so much. It's like learning to drive all over again, I get the wrong gear about 20% percent of the time. But once I get into the habit, it should be more like 1%

I also installed a tach which is pretty mandatory because I can't hear the engine any more, it's revving so much lower.

I love, love , love the TC lock. And did I mention that I love the TC lock? I always disliked the auto but now I have a semi auto. Close enough.

Quieter, smoother, more betterer. I'm one happy ecomodder

Quote:
I'd think one of the nice programmer people here could program a controller for you, if you ask nicely.
That would be the icing on the cake but I'm happy to drive it like this for a while. I wonder if this could/would become a popular mod? Open source ETC anyone? ETCguino?

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:15 AM   #25 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Have you tried upshifting/downshifting w/ the lock engaged? It might help that "wrong gear" situation.

I mean, if you engaged it in the wrong gear, can you just manually downshift with it still locked up without causing damage?

Old 09-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #26 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
I wonder if there is a simple way to force a higher gear, i.e. remove kickdown linkage, put check valve in transmission vacuum line, put weaker/stronger spring somewhere in valve body, ???. Then just use the selector lever to choose the gear (and put the lockup toggle switch on the selecter lever)
Old 09-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I wonder if there is a simple way to force a higher gear,
In stock form it shifts too late (for FE), With the TC lock, it shifts too early for the rpm.
A while ago, I tried loosening the kickdown linkage which just made the shifts slower and soggier. On the Toyotas, tightening it it changes the pressure in the valve body and makes the shifts harder and quicker. Supposedly this reduces wear on the clutches. If tightened, it jumps a bit when you put it in first or reverse gear. It does not seem to change the shift points although I should confirm this with my new tach. The other suggestions, I don't know.

Quote:
I mean, if you engaged it in the wrong gear, can you just manually downshift with it still locked up without causing damage?
Yes, I can downshift and upshift normally so the wrong gear thing is not a big deal, just kind of embarrassing in a new driver sort of way. There does not seem to be any shift shock at the throttle positions I am shifting at. you can feel it shift more positively but i wouldn't call it shock. Way more "shock" when I downshift in stock form and there is no prohibition against that.

Last edited by orange4boy; 09-09-2009 at 02:16 PM..
Old 09-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #28 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Install a manual shifter and clutch pedal. Wire up the shifter to microswitches where each gear should be, and wire up the clutch pedal to the TC solenoid. Push clutch, shift to another gear, release clutch. Boom, instant manumatic.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clev For This Useful Post:
ECONORAM (07-11-2013), IsaacCarlson (09-10-2009), KamperBob (06-06-2013)
Old 09-10-2009, 02:14 AM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lightbulb

Quote:
Install a manual shifter and clutch pedal.
Clev,

That, my friend is absoludicrous. I must have one. Manumatic. Sounds like something Mercedes Benz would come up with only they would add an umlaut. The clutch idea, is genius. My left foot is slightly atrophied from under-use anyhow. It should have been obvious but my grasp of the obvious is a little tenuous.

On the way home I was thinking of how to make it ergonomic. What is the best way to do it so you know what gear it's in by feel and so neutral is always handy for instant eoc from any gear. That's probably the best way and it's already learned. The shift lever from an automatic makes you have to slide it all over the place and I have slipped into reverse for a split second a couple of times.

Anyone know of a good video game shifter? That would already have the microswitches built right in. Heck, my elec-trak has a video game joystick so It'll fit right in.

The Following User Says Thank You to orange4boy For This Useful Post:
IsaacCarlson (09-10-2009)
Old 09-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #30 (permalink)
eco....something or other

wood hauler - '91 Ford F-250
Team Pontiac
90 day: 18.97 mpg (US)

Rav - '06 Toyota Rav4 Base
90 day: 26.52 mpg (US)
how do you switch into neutral without physically shifting the lever

i only have two shift solenoids and so 4 gears. will have to do more research.
GREAT IDEA WITH THE CLUTCH PEDAL AND STICK!!!!!!!KUDOS

1991 F-250:
4.9L, Mazda 5 speed, 4.10 10.25" rear
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
lockup, lockup switch, torque converter