Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #191 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
Mini-update

Today I drove with the Lazy-C frame for the first time.I disassembled a pair of inline skates,chopped them down and re-configured them with the band-saw for the C-frame pivot-centering tensioners.They were extremely easy to adapt.They are supported in a 'falling' position,with a roller resting against the rear bumper center,pivoting from a former roller location at the bottom,bolted directly through the vertical uprights on each side of the C-frame,with the original skate hardware.
I purchased compression springs and 3/4-inch copper plumbing solder-on caps to form a 'land' for one end of the springs,and will notch a section of the skate chassis to accept the other.
The tensioners will 'push' against the bumper and 'center' the C-frame at all times,parallel with the back of the bumper.During climbing on a ramp,they will absorb the compression loading as the frame top displaces towards the integrator.
Going over railroad tracks the C-frame moves away from the integrator so clearance isn't an issue there.
Going straight down the highway,the side panels will always be 'centered' as a function of the C-frame centering.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also dialed in the final configuration for the new,abbreviated upper panel frame.I'll make the cuts tomorrow and weld it up.
The side frames will have to be re-worked as the crown created by the inverted splitter has closed the space the frames originally occupied.
I will widen the base of the diffuser to align with the trailer base outline.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will also be making a mold of the original boat-tail Poco-Loco stinger to create a fairing which completes the aero-shell.This will be integrated into the top gap-filler panel and kill the turbulence that resides there.
I'll have to do the layups early in the morning as the pot-life for the catalyzed resin is about as long as a cough!
I'll get photos and see about getting them posted Saturday when it's a little slower for Al.
Much to do.
PS if anyone needs heat,we've got some extras to go around!

The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (08-18-2011)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #192 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Frontier 2wd 2.4L 5 speed - '98 Nissan Frontier XE
90 day: 27.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
dkruitz,I'm usually surprised by 'reality' whenever I put something new on the beast and take it for a run.
I have tried to out-guess the environment.The top panel will now be fixed to the truck and articulate vertically to clear the lazy-c frame which supports the side panels.During torsional deflection the c-frame will lift the top panel away for clearance.
The side panels are on the trailer and move with it and cannot bind against the trailer itself and during torsion,if they 'kiss' the upper panel,it will simply lift to clear and then return to 'level'.
The bellypan details are not completely ironed out yet.I have a plan although that could lead to a surprise.
On an approach to a ramp,there is enough room for the trailer to cock without striking the integrator.
In a dip,the c-frame will 'dive' into the void behind the integrator.
If things work out,the trailer and panels will allow for the full range of motion without any interference,with everything moving around on rollers.
So far so good!
This sounds a lot like what I did on my belly pan under the rear axle. 2 sections of chloroplast overlap there and I ran bungee cord through both. As the axle moves up and down, the panels will slide fore and aft against eachother casing shear on the connection fastener.. That is why I chose cloth/rubber. The setup is working out very nicely! The rear axle can move through full travel and the two panels maintain contact with eachother and the underside of the axle the whole time. I can see about a 2" wide strip of surface wear that represents the zone of normal road use. No binding and no travel limitation. I will need to replace the cords every year or two which is the only downside so far.

Best 15-mile commute city/highway mix: 37.7 mpg
Best tank so far: 31 mpg

Last edited by graydonengineering; 08-18-2011 at 06:05 PM..
Old 08-18-2011, 06:18 PM   #193 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

bungees

Quote:
Originally Posted by graydonengineering View Post
This sounds a lot like what I did on my belly pan under the rear axle. 2 sections of chloroplast overlap there and I ran bungee cord through both. As the axle moves up and down, the panels will slide fore and aft against eachother casing shear on the connection fastener.. That is why I chose cloth/rubber. The setup is working out very nicely! The rear axle can move through full travel and the two panels maintain contact with eachother and the underside of the axle the whole time. I can see about a 2" wide strip of surface wear that represents the zone of normal road use. No binding and no travel limitation. I will need to replace the cords every year or two which is the only downside so far.
Miles,that is really elegant engineering,the stuff I strive for,but rarely pull off.
I think sometimes that I'm stuck inside the 'box' and can't think 'outside.'
But as my trumpet-playing friend is fond of saying---'every once in awhile,even a blind hog finds an acorn.' So I keep going.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:20 PM   #194 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

update

I'm nearly finished with the 'head-work' for the gap-filler panel super-structure.
I have some pre-oad spring tension issues and reinforcements to address and then she'll be ready for demolition-derby destruction road testing.
I'm very pleased with all the articulations.No binding.No interference.Just needs to be strong.
After,I can finally begin to skin her.
I have a plan for the 1-wheel conversion and I've already proved the ant-tip hitch so I've still got a shot at racing her at Bonneville.
The project has been a full-time job since the end of June.I won't try and work for pay until after the trip west.
One day at a time is plenty.
Maybe some photos tomorrow.I'm way behind on photos!

Last edited by aerohead; 08-26-2011 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 08-31-2011, 09:07 PM   #195 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
I'm nearly finished with the 'head-work' for the gap-filler panel super-structure.
I have some pre-oad spring tension issues and reinforcements to address and then she'll be ready for demolition-derby destruction road testing.
I'm very pleased with all the articulations.No binding.No interference.Just needs to be strong.
After,I can finally begin to skin her.
I have a plan for the 1-wheel conversion and I've already proved the ant-tip hitch so I've still got a shot at racing her at Bonneville.
The project has been a full-time job since the end of June.I won't try and work for pay until after the trip west.
One day at a time is plenty.
Maybe some photos tomorrow.I'm way behind on photos!
My brain is too cooked to follow most of the descriptions right now but it sounds like you're making good progress. Sounds like you're close to the fun part which is testing it out. Good job hanging in there.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #196 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Latest Update

There's been plenty of 'destruction' in the road-testing,all torsion,or roll related.
I've lost enough time now that racing the trailer is completely off the table.Wah!
I had to go to a hybrid tensioning system for the side panel frames.Springs over-extended,stretched.
I added a cable/pulley/dumbwaiter-weight system with pulleys robbed from the gyro-copter and Bonanza and lead ballast from the Soap-Box Derby car,with the weights running inside vintage roof gutter downspout elevator shafts.It works the best of anything I've tried,with panels hugging the trailer sides,even under high centrifugal loads.
Tomorrow I do all the final welding,then de-rusting,etching primer,and paint.I'll fabricate body skins in meantime and be ready to attach when frames are ready.
All the 2009 'crash' damage remains.
The truck will require some TLC also.
It will be surprising to finish enough of the original design before I depart on the 10th.Cubic man-hours of work!
Plan-B is to cut the 2005 boat-tail into 4-pieces,carry it suspended inside Poco-Loco,drop the trailer once at Bonneville,rejoin the tail and run with that,and maybe an extension if that can happen.

I'll have the mileage data for the trailer but no more.
If the truck is still running in a year,I'll try for then with the trailer.
I'm guessing ( which I suck at ) that it will take two more months to complete the trailer.I've worked 6-day weeks since the end of June,with no time off except here for EcoModder.
I did get my membership materials from Utah Salt Flats Racing Assoc. and went ahead and spent another $ 237.00 on additional safety gear.
I'll keep chipping away at it 'til the clock runs out Friday.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (09-03-2011), orbywan (09-04-2011)
Old 09-04-2011, 12:33 AM   #197 (permalink)
Recreation Engineer

Black Stallion - '02 Toyota Tundra 4WD xCab

Half Pint - '06 Yamaha XT225
Phil, may the force be with you!
Old 09-04-2011, 01:15 AM   #198 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
There's been plenty of 'destruction' in the road-testing,all torsion,or roll related.
I've lost enough time now that racing the trailer is completely off the table.Wah!---------------------

I'll have the mileage data for the trailer but no more.
If the truck is still running in a year,I'll try for then with the trailer.
I'm guessing ( which I suck at ) that it will take two more months to complete the trailer.I've worked 6-day weeks since the end of June,with no time off except here for EcoModder.
I did get my membership materials from Utah Salt Flats Racing Assoc. and went ahead and spent another $ 237.00 on additional safety gear.
I'll keep chipping away at it 'til the clock runs out Friday.
Sorry to hear it's not cooperating as hoped for, I know how the process can grind you down some or a lot and take some of the fun out of it. Sounds like you're giving it hell, and that's all you can do. Good luck with the revised plan of attack.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #199 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Finally underway

I'm reporting in from a motel lobby in Santa Rosa,New Mexico.I finally left Denton late this morning.I drove 'til dark,110-miles short of Albuquerque,my first scheduled fuel stop.I've had significant wind the whole way and don't expect to learn much from the first tank.
The rig is AOK,she pulls beautifully,the wheels are still on and no other parts have gone missing.
Nothing is complete,just the pick and shovel stuff.I had 938 man-hours into her at the time I hung the tools up yesterday.I won't even guess at how much time it will take to actually 'complete' her.
Perhaps if the winds will subside,I'll get some useful quanta.

Bonneville is already history.I'll change my handle from aerohead,to Mr. Yearfromnow.
All I can do is try again for next season.It's a tough one to swallow.
I'll try and post as trip progresses.
I shoot for Utah tomorrow,and into Reno,Nevada the following day for a few days visit with family,then head for Colorado to see about Gary's Prius trailer project.
Catch you all later,aero.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (09-20-2011), slowmover (09-20-2011)
Old 09-20-2011, 08:15 AM   #200 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Safe travels, Phil. Glad to hear the trailer wheels are making the trip with you this year.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Reply  Post New Thread