Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2011, 01:36 AM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I thought I'd mention I'm still whittling away at the to-do list, aside from about a zillion "little" things like welding tabs & mounts already made, I'm down to mostly jus' electricals (wiring harnesses, full lighting etc.) fenders, panniers, n'other assorted details...

Should be good to go come spring

Album: tad pictures - Photobucket
Build log: The Bent Zombie Tribrid Tadpole Trike (build phase)

Last edited by BarelyAWake; 02-01-2012 at 01:05 AM.. Reason: fixed link
The Following User Says Thank You to BarelyAWake For This Useful Post:
HHOTDI (02-21-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '03 Chrysler Town & Country mini van all white
This housing rebuild will keep me in a "temporary" home at least another year. All 3 of my trikes are locked up in different bike rooms here and the fairing is in storage; so all trikes and parts will be "barn finds" to someone! I look ahead to starting over. I was lacking suspension- that was the downfall. I do not want to leave that out of the build next time.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Given your measurements, the Blue Sky Design body for Electrathon competition might work. I build my fairings for upright bikes from 1 in. hex mesh glued between layers of tarp plastic supported by stiff nylon tubing for plumbing.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:26 AM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

If you mean this: http://www.blueskydsn.com/CATALOGUE.pdf - yes, it defo has potential & it's one of the few designs I've seen that I also find quite aesthetically pleasing as well... not that such should be a priority, but I s'pose it is lol

There's a few tricky bits tho - the specs don't quite work with my seat, pedal & front wheel locations & while I could ofc mod to fit, I can't help but wonder if it gets to that I wouldn't be better off fabricating my own as you inferred... perhaps inspired by the Blue Sky Design body & based around that M4 canopy as it's one of the nicer ones I've seen. If you know of any others, similar to that canopy - I'd love to see 'em, can't have too many choices I figure.

Dunno, TBH I've got my hands full ATM jus' finishing up the million odds & ends, sorting out the pettiest of details that while small, can't be ignored lol - while I've no end of projects & plans vying for attention & time, the likeliest is I'll be using this upcoming riding season for test runs & dialing in the taddy, depending on those results I may build a body shell next winter for it... and a two wheel suspended trailer... and a replacement beater bike... and converting my '43 Rollfast to a Maytag... and w/e else I'm forgetting at the moment heh
The Following User Says Thank You to BarelyAWake For This Useful Post:
HHOTDI (02-21-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yes, that's the one. Zzipper or Mueller may offer canopies or check sailplane suppliers. My home built fairings for upright bikes are coroplast or hex mesh bonded between plastic tarp material such that used to cover pallets of plywood. Nylon 5/16" hard tubing or ABS are used for ribbing. I use angle aluminum for spars.
I wish your winter beater mountain bike was legal here in NYS.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grant-53 For This Useful Post:
HHOTDI (02-21-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 04:53 AM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Yes, it's highly unfortunate that the state of New York takes such a stance against what is in fact a viable alternative means of transport - limiting what you're allowed to use to what's offered by a "licensed manufacturer" only without provision, such as a safety inspection & excepting only ebikes - which seem to be allowed within some comparatively limited constraints;

Quote:
the electric motor shall not have a power output of
more than 750 watts, and is incapable of propelling the device at a
speed greater than twenty miles per hour on level ground.
S1357B-2011 - NY Senate Open Legislation - Defines the term electric assisted bicycle - New York State Senate
While this is completely feasible within city limits & perhaps even preferable - in rural communities the effectiveness of ebikes as distance commuters & daily drivers becomes highly questionable, particularly in adverse weather conditions & off season use. 750 watts (1hp) is at least far better than the 250w (0.33hp) I believe it used to be there...

I have a deep appreciation for the potential of both bicycles and electric vehicles, but given the limitations currently faced in both viable range & cost, it remains a rather unpopular choice & that's a shame really - when combined with making liquid fuel assist bicycles outright illegal it puts a stranglehold on the market & vastly reduces the options available to anyone seeking alternative transportation to pretty much commercially available vehicles & ebike kits.

While I don't particularly recommend the engine I use on my winter beater (commonplace Chinese kit) as it's of amazingly low quality & a primitive design, it does illustrate the potential as I've been commuting as a daily driver for three full years in the state of Maine. Using an approximate 12 gallons of fuel per year* (including recreational riding) and adding in the cost of the bike ($200), the cost of the kit ($150) and the lack of mandatory insurance or registration (a license is required in this state) and the total cost over the past three years has been roughly $500, including fuel @ $4 a gallon.

...which about translates to just one replacement battery pack, no bike, no motor and given the distances traveled & limited charge cycles even with the battery technology available (optimum 1000 cycles w/lifepo4 & BMS) - you're probably looking at a replacement every 2 - 2&1/2 years or so, best case scenario.

Needless to say that isn't the most economical choice for my usage at least, nor even an environmentally sound one given the materials involved.

*I can't quote actual fuel mileage as it's wildly variable - it's a pedal vehicle operated under all conditions & speeds, thus gallons per year. I usually average about 3-4000 miles a year but obviously it's not a 300mpg+ engine lol

Last edited by BarelyAWake; 01-26-2012 at 08:12 AM..
Old 01-28-2012, 12:06 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The e-bike bill yet again got stalled in the NYS Senate so even those are not street legal yet! Keep those cards and letters coming folks. Those from out of state can share their experiences with our legislators. The irony of all this is that the Aqua Bug, one of the first popular gas powered friction drive bike motors, was based in Melville, NY. I still have a 23cc 1hp motor kit based on a Canadian chain saw engine that would do 25 mph on a Huffy 3 spd with a plexiglass motorcycle windshield.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:37 AM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

oops, sorry for the misinformation - I thought they'd gotten that sorted by now... it really is somewhat ridiculous.

Aqua Bug/Bike Bug? Yep, I've one of those as well on an old 60's Stokvis (dutch bike) tho I rarely if ever use it TBH;

Old 01-31-2012, 07:27 AM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Ahh, I love the smell of melting plastic in the morni...

No... wait I really don't, but it's all I've been up to lately. Still huntin' down some of the widgets I need, scratchin' my head trying to figure schematics & cutting, stripping, crimping, soldering, shrink wrapping & doin' it some more...

gaw... there's a lotta wiring in this project lol and I ain't near done yet - jus' figured I'd post up some of what's been goin' on

Album: tad pictures - Photobucket
Build log: The Bent Zombie Tribrid Tadpole Trike (build phase)

Last edited by BarelyAWake; 02-01-2012 at 01:06 AM.. Reason: fixed link
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BarelyAWake For This Useful Post:
HHOTDI (02-21-2012), NachtRitter (01-31-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 02:34 PM   #30 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Very cool! Thank you for posting all the pics!!

Reply  Post New Thread