Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2019, 09:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Shocks don’t last 40k. The hydraulic fluid may remain, but the gas charge has dissipated. IF KYB makes a set, they’re a bargain-brand BILSTEIN.

Gas-charged shocks are an innovation along the lines of electronic ignition: they work BETTER, LONGER and with distinctly improved performance.

Check for on-center steering slop. Adjust it out. That, and new shocks are a revelation.

Use a CAT SCALE to set tire pressure. Get a cold reading after an overnight stop before sun heats tires. Record.

At Scale, Steer & Drive Axle loads are shown separately. Use a Load & Pressure Table to establish the minimum. MORE than is necessary screws you on steering, handling and braking.

With a truck (especially one vulnerable to cross-winds) it’s the REDUCTION of driver input and degree thereof. Coupled to time. LESS IS BEST.

I’ll assume you’re using FUELLY already. Tank by tank MPG records are fairly meaningless. It’s an AVERAGE over 3-5k miles where it STARTS to make sense.

1). How long since front wheel bearings serviced? Time over miles for priority.

2). Same for rear axle fluid and wheel bearings. 15k or one year on oil. And, at thirty years, the rear wheel bearings/races should be examined and serviced.

If you don’t know how to adjust drum brakes, now is that time. A monthly service. Auto-adjusters notorious for not working well.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-08-2019, 02:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugr View Post
Front end is in good shape, as is alignment and brakes. Haven't checked out the exhaust or the shocks, but I haven't experienced any problems with that. I see people getting 18-20 so I am not shooting for crazy numbers, just a little bit higher...
In that range, a bit higher still translates to a fair bit of gas.

Forget the aero stuff
A brick will remain a brick unless you do massive aerodynamic modifications - on the rear .

Driving habits are going to be your best bet.

https://ecomodder.com/forum/EM-hyper...ecodriving.php

Move it less & combine trips
Drive a bit slower - if you don't already
Drive with load, and as if without brakes
Pump up the tires

Old 08-11-2019, 02:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
I've wandered into Introductions sort of at random. This sounds like it's worth a build thread.

slowmover isn't wrong, and euromodder is right about 'the nut behind the wheel' but look around in the Aerodynamics subforum.

Since you espouse a coder mindset, I used Mac OS Summarize on your post:
Quote:
I've already purchased an MPGuino, and I enjoy "playing the game" with the AI and gas mileage gauge whenever I drive, say, a Prius, so I plan to eventually rebuild my dash using that and a Raspberry Pi to get all kinds of data and also make my driving more efficient + comfortable.

...I'm not computer stupid but I am a little car-stupid, so I still need to figure out how to hook some of these things up.
Unfortunate that it dismisses the wish for a Delorean makeover. I'd suggest a plan that is half drivetrain and half aero. Major work on a vehicle you be homeless in sounds problematic. Consider a mild hybrid conversion using a 20hp altermotor and serpentine belt to replace the 4-cylinders' alternator. Then the majic electronics and a lithium-ion battery pack and you don't need shore power.

For aero, a full bellypan with difusser is worth the work. The bottom is as important as the top. Moon disks or coroplast simulations. A big problem, plus probably acoustically, is the side mirrors. Reduce down to the legal requirement* and use dashcams for visibility. You can put mirrors inside the side windows to cover blind spots.

* I'd go with street rod 4" round peep mirrors [with built-in turn signal repeaters] hung from the underside of the cab-over. And pool noodle half-rounds behind the cab doors.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Team Cummins
One doesn’t know if 18-20/mpg is a VALID comparison without details:

Exact vehicle spec
Climate
Topography
Percent of engine hours at highway speed.

Orbywan did up a Class C a few years back. Great aero work.

ZERO mechanical slop or binding. On a thirty year old vehicle, not likely without thorough examination. Good enough to get down the road isn’t the same. One starts by measuring body height all around (use the Cat Scale).

Reliability is more important than MPG. RVs have at least two electrical systems. Replacing grounds (braided strap) is a basic; do it first. BATT cables are second round of replacements. (Because it’s present doesn’t mean it’s good. Read on subject matter). A Moho has 10X the failure points of a car. Get to reading.

Feedback is a big help for while driving. ULTRA GAUGE or similar.

Seat posture; mirror adjustment; LED exterior lighting.

Sit close. Feet on floorboards behind pedals. Arms should be relaxed at 12:00 on steering wheel. No pressure under thighs near knees. Adjust mirrors to show vehicle sides. Convex mirror more important and needs to be larger (wider).

It’s the little things. In your case it’s three decades of basic neglect. RVs just sit around. MPG is going thru it all. And most work is labor versus parts.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Team Cummins
After steering and no binding (plus new gas shocks for body roll; and poly anti-roll bar bushings), vehicle electrical as above is critical. Grounds & cabling.

Then (only then) is engine testing worthwhile. (This assumes transmission also operates according to book).

1). Compression test

2). Carburetor operation (past choke operation)

3). Vacuum leaks (replace lines and connectors. Take one at a time ONLY while at parking lot at NAPA to get new).

I’ve recommended reading. And feedback. A dash-mounted vacuum gauge is ALWAYS worthwhile. Reading that and spark plugs can tell you a lot.

It MIGHT NOT account for your 15 and their 18 (as conditions encountered mean more).

Start asking around. Not everyone can fine tune a Kettering ignition. Or diagnose a leak at a throttle shaft. But they’re out there.

Be willing to spend time and get dirty.

The RV portion is more work yet. DON’T expect to just drive around shaking that wood-frame farther apart without problems.

First tool specifically for the RV is a Moisture Meter. Water is what destroys RVs. And what you’re driving has a cheap roof design. It doesn’t last ten years, much less thirty. Find the problem areas and read on how to make emergency seal repairs. Roof replacement is in your future.

I passed a guys biz in Mississippi recently and thought of you. He had six Toy mohos. All with blue tarp “roofs”. Probably making them road and inspection worthy to re-sell.

The truth about using a Moho is that FE is beside the point. It is what it is. It’s the RV that will always need the most attention.

At the age of yours, that BIG problem is from fire. Starts in the walls. Wiring runs strained at the junctions.

Can you get out the emergency exit? Do you know where it is AND HAVE YOU PRACTICED?

Get used to doing without electricity. That hobbles Millennial Americans so much it’s pathetic. Make your use specific and limited. READ. I watched one burn the other day. Gone in under 5-minutes. Thankfully, only the dogs and cat got roasted.

Install a Master electrical switch. This dumb broad didn’t (no husband tells all one needs to know). Leave it OFF as normal. Turn it on to cook dinner, etc, using one appliance at a time (Hot Plate means no water heater simultaneously, etc). Keep loads LOWEST while running.

Each system is just that. Not isolated pieces thereof.

Some day you may have full capability. But broke & poor isn’t that day. Until then get to the used bookstore and get some RV repair manuals. Start writing tool & supply lists. Search CL and eBay for pricing. Make a plan.

FE will fall into place given:

1). All book maintenance to date
2). Careful, planned use. Moving, or stationary.

Last edited by slowmover; 08-18-2019 at 06:04 PM..
Old 08-18-2019, 07:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Woody - '96 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 23.82 mpg (US)

Avion and Woody - '96 Dodge/Avion Ram 2500/5th wheel combo
90 day: 15.1 mpg (US)

TD eye eye eye - '03 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)

Mule - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 ST
I would not "forget the aero" as posted above. A little folding boat tail on the back would net measurable gains. The commercial trucks use them, and they have to fold so as to back to a dock. You don't have to meet that criteria. This simplifies the construction.

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with 6MT
2003 TDI Beetle
2002 TDI Beetle

currently parked - 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbodiesel
Custom cab, auto, 3.55 gears
Old 08-27-2019, 12:59 AM   #17 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Hadn't it been for budget constrains, I'd tell you to try a Cummins R2.8 crate engine. Well, maybe looking out for a more modern replacement engine out of a rolled-over Tacoma?
Old 08-27-2019, 01:22 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
You hit a lot of threads. OP hasn't posted since 2019-08-05.

Two quarter-circular panels hinged at the rear corners could fold over each other for storage, then swing out to make a boat tail that follows Mair's torpedo-tail. Just have to fill in the top and bottom.