Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #41 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
It would still take longer to warm up if you remove the coolant thermostat because you have to warm up a larger volume of circulating coolant rather than a small volume of non-circulating.

(PS: please be careful about threadjacking! If you have a great idea for a mod, start a new thread.)
True, but the new coolant won't be cooling anymore because the radiator is blocked.

PS: If I done that then the idea would get shot down quicker by logic and reason and the other users on this wonderfully annoying forum which state the obvious and oblivious every fifteen seconds, its really ****ing annoying actually.

I've found that Mista Bone loves to state the obvious actually, really annoying in one of my other threads when I'm trying to look like an expert.

But I"m sure I've done the same to others while joining this forum.

And then someone just stole my ****ing idea:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ers-28415.html

That's twice thats happened now, **** this I quit this forum!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yoyoyoda For This Useful Post:
deejaaa (03-12-2014), Mista Bone (03-11-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-10-2014, 08:38 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoyoda View Post
True, but the new coolant won't be cooling anymore because the radiator is blocked.

PS: If I done that then the idea would get shot down quicker by logic and reason and the other users on this wonderfully annoying forum which state the obvious and oblivious every fifteen seconds, its really ****ing annoying actually.

I've found that Mista Bone loves to state the obvious actually, really annoying in one of my other threads when I'm trying to look like an expert.

But I"m sure I've done the same to others while joining this forum.

And then someone just stole my ****ing idea:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ers-28415.html

That's twice thats happened now, **** this I quit this forum!
Does that mean you'll leave my thread that had nothing to do with thermostats??
Old 03-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Cool

BULLCRAP!!!!!! It would be passively cooling the engine as it will radiate heat under the hood. It will also be full of cooler fluid that will be mixed with what is in the engine as the tstat opens. Dax has a full block and makes 7 miles commutes.He has confirmed his prius can easily handle such a short trip with no active cooling and stay cool. The newer insight the radiator takes up the whole front end of the car and may of us run a block year round.

Unless its over 85 degrees out my insight keeps its cool. Otherwise I just turn on the ac and roll up the windows. Me and the car stay cool til it hits 105 degrees.

Quote:
Old 03-10-2014, 10:29 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5

Painted black...

The Following User Says Thank You to sarguy01 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (03-15-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #45 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
But now no one will notice it.... I think a jumbo ecomodder sticker would fit in that spot nice though
The Following User Says Thank You to 2000mc For This Useful Post:
Flakbadger (03-13-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 01:52 AM   #46 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Please re-read my post.

The idea is to remove the thermostat and block off the airflow to the radiator until such times as you need to vent that heat.

So I simply set the arduino to open up a vent at a specific temperature, until that temperature is reached the radiator remains blocked off, once the temp is reached the gap opens up.

In effect replacing the water thermostat with an air thermostat using vanes controlled by solenoids.

This would actually create a very quick rise in temperature as there is no airflow being forced through the radiator when the vanes are closed. So you can, with this system, drive off and very quickly get a warm engine, then once its reached operating temp the air inlet vane opens up a bit to keep things under control.

Then when things get out of control at lights, the vanes open up completely and the fans kick in, as expected.

The only problem with this is that there needs to be clearance with the road, or at least rollers on the vane at 4 points so it doesn't get damaged going up slight inclines or into driveways.
Simple design really.

Shutters controlled via a RC servo.

I will use my Honda's for example as I know the temp ranges they like.

On cold start, shutters stay closed until 180 ECT (engine coolant temp) is reached. Once that is reached the shutters would be controlled by vehicle speed and ECT.

Below 30-35 mph the shutter would by default be wide open IF ECT is above 180. This would allow airflow to help cool the engine bay, esp. in stop and go traffic or coming up to a red light. Once vehicle is back above the speed preset, the shutters are back under temp control.

Also, for obvious reasons, if any fault in the wiring, by default the shutters would be wide open.

Likely when I get around to do this I will use a rheostat to control the opening manually while watching water temp gauge.

I have monitored 10 degree increase in water temp either by safely drafting or just if I'm driving towards the sun or away due to sunlight reflected off road surface.

When I get the hang around here I will make a thread or two on my old HB. What many will find out is what is now common, I was doing 10-12 years ago. I just don't have the electronics knowledge to build all the controls I desire. I'm lucky to have a geek to help with all that. He is the one that helped witht he ECU tuning which really help engine performance and MPG.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mista Bone For This Useful Post:
aerohead (03-15-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 01:58 AM   #47 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Here is my ole blue HB when I started aero modding....

First the lawn edging spoiler, I was one of the first to do this around 2001

After having issues not keeping enough temp. in the engine in the cooler months, I used roof flashing painted flat black to cover the opening, then had to trim as it needed some air. (nevermind the bumper, basketball in sub zero temps = cracked!)

That is when I got the shutter idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mista Bone For This Useful Post:
aerohead (03-15-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 07:19 AM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000mc View Post
But now no one will notice it.... I think a jumbo ecomodder sticker would fit in that spot nice though
That sounds like a great idea. I may just put one there!
Old 03-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5

I went to do my upper grill block, but had a hard time with it. I want to make it look clean. I then saw several threads on here for grill shutters...yeah, I am borrowing ideas, is that okay??

04 05 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Black Front Grille Grill Molding New | eBay

If I take this grill and cut the center out, I could probably fab up a grill shutter with a servo and some aluminum.

Something like this. Yes, my piant skills are second to none!

Either that, or I can buy this grill and cut it apart to fab up a regular grill block.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:44 AM   #50 (permalink)
hypermiller somewhat.....

Sierra - '13 GMC 1500 SLE
90 day: 12.24 mpg (US)

Cruze Eco - '15 chevrolet Cruze Eco
Team Chevy
90 day: 46.52 mpg (US)
I had two upper grill blocks install and the lower one on for a few days but the temperature was hitting 200. so I took off the lower one, to lower the temperature down to around 185, but your recent posts had me thinking to swap things around.

This morning I reinstalled the lower one and removed the right hand side.

Reply  Post New Thread