Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2010, 09:56 PM   #21 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redyaris View Post
This is a high performance site, the standard by which it is messured is mpg... Not HP or seconds or mph. mpg is the more difficult standard the meet, You can't just buy it and bolt it on, you have to design it and build it your self

It's fantastic that a few people are coming around to that view - that high performance doesn't only mean POWAH!

I read the sentiment somewhere else recently - don't remember where (not here, but on more of a "traditional" performance site).

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-14-2010, 10:47 PM   #22 (permalink)
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey

We need something to counter this picture.

Like, doc brown jumping out of his insight (complete with mr fusion for fun), grabbing his scan gauge and screaming "88 miles per gallon!! What did I tell you!"

And yeah, most people just aren't interested in economy. Most people I know are amazed that their mid sized sedan can get 25 mpg.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:53 PM   #23 (permalink)
Ecomodder en route

Vib - '04 Pontiac Vibe base
Ohhh Clarkson... I actually did his POWER scream in my head when my tail swung out in a corner today, and I hit the gas, and turned the wheel lightly to the left (in my 130hp, FWD hatchback, no less). I felt so awesome drifting around that corner and ending up in my lane perfectly after wards.

If you want that, than you'll need to rev up Photoshop! I'll attempt it, but with my paint.net photo editing software, I really am not as able as if I had the glory of Photoshop.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:20 PM   #24 (permalink)
Renaissance Man

Aegean C - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 39.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
This is a high performance site, the standard by which it is messured is mpg... Not HP or seconds or mph.
+1, high MPG is definitely a form of high performance. As a car guy I love having two high performance cars, of two completely different standards of high performance.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:28 AM   #25 (permalink)
n00b.... sortof..

silver fire - '03 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 32.52 mpg (US)
we're not always lauded as innovative crazy cool idea peoples.
the amount of animosity Ive gotten at the ranger forums could be cut with a knife.

but at some point in time (hopefully soon) more people are going to have to get involved with increasing the FE of their vehicles and demanding car manufacturers offer better solutions than what we have now.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #26 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...I relish the thought: "...passing everything in sight--including--gas-stations!"
Old 12-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Tahoe - '95 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
90 day: 13.22 mpg (US)

SRX - '04 Cadillac SRX AWD

XL - '05 Harley Davidson Sportster XL
90 day: 49.97 mpg (US)

Alero - '02 Oldsmobile Alero GLS

Corvette - '75 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray
I see many people get it and some don't. After fully reading this thread I see and have experienced a bias from both High performance and Eco people. Going fast and high performance were always something that I loved to do for many years but I did it on the cheap and netted better perfomance than many who just opened their wallets wide.

Then I started comming here a place where I thought I could learn something and maybe improve my current vehicles efficiencey on the cheap. I have taken flak from members here and members on the High performance side I even was blasted on a full size GM truck site when inquiring about good road manner tires for my truck.

The online attitude that MANY people have just sucks. Ecomodding sites started because they had no place to go in other forums but a few people here do the same as the people they ran from.

So where do I go? do I continually get blasted for driving a big truck 6,000 miles a year by a hypermiller that drives 40,000 miles? I didn't even post my latest car purchase last Friday because I know it would get criticized.

Well I needed to rant after reading this i do appreciate the many great tips and helpfull members on this site that is why I stick around. I want to do my own EV project one day soon when life frees up the time and I continue to make small changes in my life to be more efficient. Working together with others will show much better results than drawing a line. Ask anyone on that LS1 forum if they want to learn how to make 500hp and get 30mpg they will line up for the opportunity.
1975 Corvette Stingray *active*
1994 Camaro Z28 Convertible 149k *Sold 2013*
1998 Blazer ZR2 189k *Sold 2012*
1995 Tahoe LT 250k *Sold 2011*

Old 12-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #28 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
This is a high performance site, the standard by which it is messured is mpg... Not HP or seconds or mph. mpg is the more difficult standard to meet, You can't just buy it and bolt it on, you have to design it and build it your self with a bit of help form your friends at EM. I used to think that expensive sports cars where example of great design but now I think they are what you get if money spent is not considered, now my attitude is show me what you can do for $15000 and make it get 50mpg doing it. Now that would be an accumplishement!
a homemade $15000 high MPG car would be AWESOME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:13 PM   #29 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRABill View Post
So where do I go? do I continually get blasted for driving a big truck 6,000 miles a year by a hypermiller that drives 40,000 miles? I didn't even post my latest car purchase last Friday because I know it would get criticized.
I've often considered getting a newer more fuel efficient van; newer minivans trump my 21 mpg rather easily. Thing about it is, I already own it, if I get rid of it, it would be on the short list to be scrapped, and I would lose the chance to make it a fuel miser that it simply isn't right now. That, and it is a good vehicle, has been very dependable since I put in a newer motor, and I enjoy driving it. So I'll keep it.

I think many people see the SUV as the pinnacle of wastefulness and anyone with one as non Earth friendly. Maybe that is the reaction you're seeing.

Something else that occurs to me is maybe you also enjoy your particular vehicle despite its thirst. I have a 98 Max that I couldn't imagin not having. It has a GREAT midrange rumble during acceleration, is sublimely comfortable, and handles the twisties like no one's business. But for a mid sized sedan that we put over 20K miles on in less than a year (mainly because we LOVE driving it) it could get much better fuel economy.

But what is the point of getting great fuel economy if you dislike the vehicle? I have spent thousands of miles driving this car, and enjoyed most of them. How can that be wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:59 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Toylet - '87 Toyota Supra 350 Chevy V8 / 700R4

In-Durrrr-Oh - '09 TMEC Enduro TMEC 200cc Enduro
90 day: 60.9 mpg (US)

Tem-poo - '86 Ford Tempo GL 4 Door 2.0 Liter Diesel 5 Speed
90 day: 47.52 mpg (US)

Ass Tick - '01 Pontiac Pontiac Aztek GT 5 Door

Green Baby Poop Stain - '01 Pontiac Aztek Aztek Base Model

Black Track - '01 Pontiac Aztek GT
A cammed & supercharged 5.3 should do the trick ; ) Weight and drag play a role too to reach 30 mpg. Perhaps a set of heads (Vortec) might increase mpg and horsepower in that 95 Chevy truck?
VT247

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRABill View Post
Ask anyone on that LS1 forum if they want to learn how to make 500hp and get 30mpg they will line up for the opportunity.

Reply  Post New Thread