Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2020, 02:45 PM   #241 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
We can say almost the same about most people...

If a advenced alien would visit us and decided to give us (treat us) the same morals that we give to other species and other people...
We would be in trouble...
The percent of our brain mass dedicated to conscious and intentional action is pretty small. Most everything our brain does is way too important for us to be responsible for, like breathing and digesting food and whatnot. Still, having some small ability to consider morality is still infinitely more than none at all.

I would expect advanced alien species to recognize this fundamental difference between humans and all other animals. In fact, we would expect their morality to be an essential feature of being considered advanced. There's a reason we imagine advanced aliens to be humanoid and not dog-like for instance.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 02-12-2020 at 02:51 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-12-2020, 04:53 PM   #242 (permalink)
Banned

If they had advanced morals, they would consider humans as a bunch of crazy people, maybe worse than how we see the people from middle age.

I'm still not sure about your point of view. Maybe chimps have similar morals to humans (primitive humans).

Religious morals are mostly a alpha male figure moral, like animal kingdown in some way. God it's a figure of power, and in animal kingdow they fear pr respect power.

I'm afraid most people follow social laws by just fear, fear of jail or fear of hell. This is not true moral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
The percent of our brain mass dedicated to conscious and intentional action is pretty small. Most everything our brain does is way too important for us to be responsible for, like breathing and digesting food and whatnot. Still, having some small ability to consider morality is still infinitely more than none at all.

I would expect advanced alien species to recognize this fundamental difference between humans and all other animals. In fact, we would expect their morality to be an essential feature of being considered advanced. There's a reason we imagine advanced aliens to be humanoid and not dog-like for instance.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:04 PM   #243 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
If they had advanced morals, they would consider humans as a bunch of crasy people, maybe worse than how we see the people from middle age.

I'm still mot sure about your point of view. Maybe chimps have similar morals to humans (primitive humans).

Religious morals are mostly a alpha male figure moral, like animal kingdown in some way. God it's a figure of power, and in animal kingdow they fear pr respect power.
Morality has to do with the realization of vulnerability and mortality. Chimps aren't wondering what their peers will remember of them after they die, or what legacy they will leave behind, or what their 5-year plan looks like.

Aliens will be quite surprised to discover humans considering how uncommon moral beings are. Morality isn't essential to life.

Morality must come from religious belief because of the problem of defining something from nothing.

It's like asking how we know that rational thought is rational. You can't prove it's rational without just assuming it is. We take it on faith that being rational is good. The few people that claim to not believe in truth, morality, and reason are in disarray and live in chaos. Claiming there is no truth is a truth statement.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 02-13-2020, 03:49 AM   #244 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I have some understanding of how it is to be full of liquid. Fortunately, I do not require outside help to empty the fluid.

Maybe Walking Phoenix would claim that cows would be happier if they did not produce milk in the first place, but then we would just slaughter them.

Who keeps cows as pets?

Did you guys watch Mark Rober's video about touring Impossible Meat [and the other guys] and feeding a pseudo burger to Bill Microsoft?

Sorry OP, I am sure that would be more on-topic elsewhere. Oh well.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:30 AM   #245 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
We can say almost the same about most people...

If a advenced alien would visit us and decided to give us (treat us) the same morals that we give to other species and other people...
We would be in trouble...
We've got a plan, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
All Darc (02-13-2020), RedDevil (02-13-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 07:56 AM   #246 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
And good camo, if needed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniforms_of_the_United_States_Space_Force

Space command. I'd love to see how that works.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:56 AM   #247 (permalink)
Banned

Sure, Nasa can add some laser to the Soyus capsule, lasers able to pop 150 black baloons in 10 seconds.
I'm sure they are no match for us...

By the way this symbol looks like the United Federation of Planets :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
We've got a plan, though.

Aliens would be surprised about how we came so far, reach Moon, genetic engineering, robotics, being such a sc-umbag species. ABout how we split so far technic though from moral tought.

There is nothing moral in religion. Take off the "powerfull alpha chimp" who would punish or kill everyone, and people are left nothing.
About rational thought... well... it's about what is less irational... less ilogic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Aliens will be quite surprised to discover humans considering how uncommon moral beings are. Morality isn't essential to life.

Morality must come from religious belief because of the problem of defining something from nothing.

It's like asking how we know that rational thought is rational. You can't prove it's rational without just assuming it is. We take it on faith that being rational is good. The few people that claim to not believe in truth, morality, and reason are in disarray and live in chaos. Claiming there is no truth is a truth statement.

Last edited by All Darc; 02-13-2020 at 09:32 AM..
Old 02-13-2020, 09:37 AM   #248 (permalink)
Banned

This ?

It's about take the milk that would be for the calfs. But some advanced breeding cross I supose most modern cows produce more milk than required for the calfs. But most times they took more milk and left many calfs anemics to produced whiter meat, and killing before they grown-up, Even so they are all killed or keeped in a very stressfull small place until have no use and be killed.

If we would allow emapthy for just things close to us, close to be allowed affection, we would feel no empathy for people suffering in wars in distant countries.
And it's true, and not just distane in meter or km, but social distance, like shows many social experimnts. Peeople feel more empathy for people similar to them, like same color, same social class, same gender...
Moral it's a social contructiuon in many ways, and we must keep this construction project, perfecting it, even going against our own nature, if we want to get better

At present point people are most savages that think based in sexual power (and money it's a modern concept of sexual power, and also body shape today). Chimps' morals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I have some understanding of how it is to be full of liquid. Fortunately, I do not require outside help to empty the fluid.

Maybe Walking Phoenix would claim that cows would be happier if they did not produce milk in the first place, but then we would just slaughter them.

Who keeps cows as pets?

Did you guys watch Mark Rober's video about touring Impossible Meat [and the other guys] and feeding a pseudo burger to Bill Microsoft?

Sorry OP, I am sure that would be more on-topic elsewhere. Oh well.

Last edited by All Darc; 02-13-2020 at 09:52 AM..
Old 02-13-2020, 11:25 AM   #249 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I always thought that it was weird that sci fi always depicted space navies, not fleets or whatever the Air Force term would be. To me, going into space made far more sense for the Air Force than the Navy until I realized that the Air Force rarely stays airborne for longer than they can with one tank of fuel. How many months do Sailors spend on a ship or submarine?

I think that a Space Force, or whatever we would actually call it, would require Airmen and Sailors.

Then again, the Navy has pilots, too.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:12 PM   #250 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist
Who keeps cows as pets?
The Hindus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc
By the way this symbol looks like the United Federation of Planets :
It's the other way around. The UFP logo postdates the NASA logo: duckduckgo.com/?q=federation+of+planets+vs+NASA+logo

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Xist (02-14-2020)
Reply  Post New Thread