Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2020, 12:52 PM   #461 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
After some further reading, I can probably do even better by considering ignition timing in milliseconds, rather than degrees.
Cool. Post up some reading!

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-22-2020, 04:04 PM   #462 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
I think you will manipulate it with miliseconds but your theory has to be based on degrees.

i.e. calculate rpm, use that to get miliseconds of one revolution and then scale that to your desired ignition time.
The Following User Says Thank You to teoman For This Useful Post:
Ecky (01-24-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 10:05 PM   #463 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ecky...
Seriously, you need to change your calling and start a business for calibrating cars. You have become incredibly knowledgeable and proficient.

"After some further reading, I can probably do even better by considering ignition timing in milliseconds, rather than degrees."
The Following User Says Thank You to minor4326 For This Useful Post:
Ecky (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 01:01 AM   #464 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Ecky

Its nice seeing your progress. It makes me want to start reverting back to making the Talon a dual purpose car again. I have so many ideas I would like to try with my Lean Burn engine. I also have been modifying my W4A33 transmission to make it bullet proof to handle 800+ HP. In doing so I have learned a ton of tricks to make the transmission more eco friendly.

Can't wait to see your setup utilize Lean Burn. The gains will be amazing!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pgfpro For This Useful Post:
Ecky (01-24-2020), hayden55 (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 03:38 AM   #465 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
If/when I've gotten myself into an Arcimoto FUV, it will have electrically heated handlebars; but I would expect to have a heated snowmobile suit and a helmet with rear-view camera built in.

Ft. Eustis was in the sixties. Back then I had to scrap ice off the windshield in Winter in Oregon. Anymore it's rare to see freezing.
Electrically heated handlebars are awesome. Very nice to have, however, you have to be also relatively warm (not freezing your a$$) because then you pump up the heat on the handlebars. I had a 5h commute with my motorbike and was not %100 properly dressed. I was not shivering as such but still mildly uncomfortable. At the end of the journey I had blisters in my palms. More so on the right one that controls the throttle as you cannot have minimal grip or let go as the other passive bar. (Come to think of it I could have used the curise control)
Old 01-24-2020, 08:06 AM   #466 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfpro View Post
Ecky

Its nice seeing your progress. It makes me want to start reverting back to making the Talon a dual purpose car again. I have so many ideas I would like to try with my Lean Burn engine. I also have been modifying my W4A33 transmission to make it bullet proof to handle 800+ HP. In doing so I have learned a ton of tricks to make the transmission more eco friendly.

Can't wait to see your setup utilize Lean Burn. The gains will be amazing!
Getting lean burn tuned will probably have to wait until summer and I'll need to get my cruise control wired up. I have no model for ignition timing in relation to AFR, so I'll need to find a flat road and dial it up and down while driving and see how the car responds.

Care to share some thoughts on transmissions?
Old 01-24-2020, 12:10 PM   #467 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
How many hours would you say you have in conversion and tuning now?
Old 01-24-2020, 12:16 PM   #468 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
How many hours would you say you have in conversion and tuning now?
Depends on whether you consider data logging to be tuning, and also if you count things I've gone back to and re-tuned as I've learned more.

I'd estimate that, since last April or so, I've had an hour of datalogging (my commute) typically at least 3-4 days per week, and at least 5-10 minutes of analysis most days I logged data - not every day had usable data. I've lost count of the number of hours I've spent reading and watching videos about engine geometry and design in an attempt to understand how various factors change the outcome.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:36 PM   #469 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Getting lean burn tuned will probably have to wait until summer and I'll need to get my cruise control wired up. I have no model for ignition timing in relation to AFR, so I'll need to find a flat road and dial it up and down while driving and see how the car responds.

Care to share some thoughts on transmissions?
That's exactly what I did when I setup my Lean burn tables. I have a road close to me that is very flat and its near a airport that I can get wind direction and wind speed from. From there its lots of data logging.

On my trans mission its a automatic so not very efficient to start with. I do have a custom built lock up converter that can be activated at any given point. Other mods are Line Pressure adjustability, and Low Reverse Brake clutch pack clearance to reduce clutch pack drag. Lots of valve body adjustments to make it shift to high gear at any rpm I want.

I can't wait to see what your findings are with Lean Burn enable so we can share notes. Its hard to find people tuning Lean Burn these days

The Following User Says Thank You to pgfpro For This Useful Post:
Ecky (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 04:26 PM   #470 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Towing test!

70mph - 35mpg
55mph - 42.5mpg

If I put my foot down in 2nd gear my front tires break loose around when VTEC engages. Haven't yet found a paved hill it won't climb in 6th, even with a loaded trailer.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (02-27-2020), pgfpro (01-24-2020), Xist (02-03-2020)
Reply  Post New Thread