Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2019, 10:14 AM   #361 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Does that mean you're able to use it at lighter cruising loads?
If I hold it in place constantly yes. Under hard accelerating I can't hold it in place, it throws my arm back.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-15-2019, 10:43 AM   #362 (permalink)
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
If I hold it in place constantly yes. Under hard accelerating I can't hold it in place, it throws my arm back.
Try GM/AC Delco synchromesh fluid. The 6-6 accords of my generation are known for having 3rd gear pop out, it completely fixed mine. But I fear yours may not be so easy.

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...

Old 07-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #363 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daschicken View Post
Try GM/AC Delco synchromesh fluid. The 6-6 accords of my generation are known for having 3rd gear pop out, it completely fixed mine. But I fear yours may not be so easy.
The transmission is brand new inside. It's likely a shimming problem (incorrect clearances), feels like the gear physically moves apart when I get on the gas in 6th and when I get off the gas in 2nd. The synchros lock up just fine, no fluid is going to fix it.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:53 AM   #364 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
At what cost could the errors be fixed?

My last Ecotec project...
Old 07-17-2019, 08:08 AM   #365 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
At what cost could the errors be fixed?
Hard to say. This is outside of my abilities to fix and I understand it’s at least $1000 to pay someone else to drop a transmission and crack it open.

On an unrelated note, I’m going to a junkyard to look for an oil “cooler” from another K series engine. The Insight 3 cylinder had one, and it basically helps the oil get up to temperature more quickly (since coolant gets up to temperature first) while the engine is warming up. It bolts on between the oil filter and engine and exchanges heat between coolant and oil.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (07-18-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 11:03 AM   #366 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
Why not drop the transmission, take it to someone, let them crack it open?

My last Ecotec project...
Old 07-18-2019, 09:30 AM   #367 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Very cool car. I like your attention to detail. Could you explain your DC-DC converter a bit? Was that only for the Insight powertrain since it uses the hybrid motor to generate power instead of an alternator, or do you still need it with your K swap?

I used to have an 88 CRX with a DOHC ZC in it as well as an 87 SI, and I've been wanting to get another one for a while now, but these Insights are starting to tempt me a bit...they're like a modern CRX with even better mpg, plus they're a bit unusual. I like weird, oddball cars lol.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:35 AM   #368 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressingonward View Post
Very cool car. I like your attention to detail. Could you explain your DC-DC converter a bit? Was that only for the Insight powertrain since it uses the hybrid motor to generate power instead of an alternator, or do you still need it with your K swap?

I used to have an 88 CRX with a DOHC ZC in it as well as an 87 SI, and I've been wanting to get another one for a while now, but these Insights are starting to tempt me a bit...they're like a modern CRX with even better mpg, plus they're a bit unusual. I like weird, oddball cars lol.
The DC-DC converter was for the original powertrain only. It had no alterantor, so a DC-DC was there to convert high voltage 3 phase AC to 14VDC and keep the car running, after the hybrid components were removed. I'm using a normal alternator with the new engine (so far).

I occasionally have CRX envy and they're pretty rare in my area, but certainly not as rare as an Insight. Plus ultimate sleeper. Plus they're extremely inexpensive if you find one with a bad battery or transmission.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:34 AM   #369 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daschicken View Post
Try GM/AC Delco synchromesh fluid. The 6-6 accords of my generation are known for having 3rd gear pop out, it completely fixed mine.

I once bought a VW Rabbit for peanuts because the 5th gear would pop out on the highway after a while. Turns out it was just low on trans oil! Topped it up and it was fine after that. (never found a leak, either.) I assume that it heated up and messed with tolerances.

/OT
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 07-23-2019, 08:03 AM   #370 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Cross-posting from the 70mpg challenge:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Today I drove to Boston to drop my brother off at the airport. Before leaving I played with ignition timing a bit, actually retarded it a few degrees in cruising range to try and smooth out some lumpy acceleration. Knowing I'd be in stop and go traffic I pulled my grille blocks off, since the heat index was over 100 degrees and I've seen on rare occasion the radiator fan not quite keep up when there's no airflow through the grille in very hot weather. I never have problems in Vermont, but I'm considering replacing or "upgrading" my radiator so I can keep the grille blocked more.

Driving there at 65mph with some air conditioning for his comfort and just leaving it in 5th, plus driving around the city in traffic for an hour, I averaged 41.5mpg.

On the way back I decided to shoot for the moon and see how close I could get to my current "realistic goal with some additional modifications and a careful foot" of 60mpg, with my previous best being 48mpg. My target speed was 50-55mph except for where coasting would allow for higher speeds. My underbody paneling is around 50% complete, my mirrors are currently in place (not cameras), and I did not have my grille block installed. For around 20-30 minutes I drove through some heavy rain. For around 2/3 of the ~4.5 hour trip (~222 miles) I held the stick in 6th gear, which takes quite a bit of resistance plus concentration/finesse with the throttle pedal, as pushing the throttle past a certain point throws it out of gear with basically irresistible force (until I take the transmission apart and figure out what I did wrong to cause this). 6th would likely climb any grade without a problem, but it seems like it's maybe ~25% load that throws it out of gear. Anyhow, 6th is good for a reduction in RPM of around 25% over 5th gear. On some of the longer downgrades (more than 15 seconds where the slope could maintain speed or accelerate) I key-off EOC'd. I did not use air conditioning, and had the windows down around halfway.

I counted mile markets for 100 miles and determined my odometer error is currently at 1.2% (my current tires at 1.3% larger than stock). After 222.0 miles I filled up at a pump I trust with 3.40 gallons, resulting in a trip fuel economy of 65.3mpg. I'm stoked. It's not quite 70mpg, but I feel like 70 is really attainable on some trips if I get a real kill switch, finish my underbody paneling, put my camera mirrors back on, reinstall the grille block and maybe add a few more PSI to the tires, which are at 48 front 45 rear right now.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
hayden55 (07-31-2019), MetroMPG (07-23-2019), mpg_numbers_guy (07-23-2019)
Reply  Post New Thread