Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2010, 02:49 AM   #221 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
I discovered how to keep the tailgators away; run some of my homemade fuel system/ engine cleaner on a low amount of fuel instead of the full tank I normally do. Mixed with only 3 or so gallons it stinks to high heavens. But it sure did the trick, the octane knock I was getting is gone. I just feel bad for those smelling the fumes from my....errrr......rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-13-2010, 04:41 AM   #222 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestclimb View Post
Gun thngs

Anyway, on with the tailgaters
I think we could exchange stories all day good or bad - back to tailgating.

Oops, no I mean avoiding them...
Old 11-15-2010, 10:13 AM   #223 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

RSX2fast4mpg - '02 Acura RSX Type S
90 day: 38.22 mpg (US)

bubbatrucker - '98 Chevrolet K1500
90 day: 18.1 mpg (US)
After my teenage experience with a '78 Olds Cutlass that I kept burning up hydromatic 200s on (until I finally replaced it with the hydromatic 350 that it should have had all along), I wonder if having a large syringe full of Dextron ATF positioned just above the catalytic converter might not do the trick. I'd go through more than a quart a week and sometimes you couldn't see behind me, and that smell... Nobody would dare tailgate you for more than a few seconds before bailing to the next lane over to get around that stench. Not exactly an environmentally correct solution, but it's a thought...

Last edited by endurance; 11-15-2010 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 12-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #224 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Odyssey - '98 Honda Odyssey
90 day: 24.45 mpg (US)

The Civic - '98 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 32.5 mpg (US)
Or we could all drive non condensing steam cars. That'd clear the tailgaters in a hurry....
Old 12-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #225 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Tailgating a constant problem on our interstate in southern NY. I brake-check them and they will usually pass me or back off. The heck of it is, I do teh speed limit (65mph) and they still act menacingly.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #226 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

RaceJeep - '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 5.9 Limited
90 day: 13.62 mpg (US)
The other day, in a heavy rainstorm with almost no visibility between the rain and the spray from other cars, I had some twenty-something chick in an Explorer about 5 feet off my back bumper for a while. She could have passed me at any time, as there wasn't a ton of traffic. Plus, everybody was doing between 40 and 55 depending on visibility, merging, etc, despite the speed limit being 65.

Obviously, this wasn't good enough for her, especially considering I was leaving a good bit of space in front of me, and I wasn't speeding up to go tailgate the next car. She didn't get the picture until I tapped the brakes very lightly and quickly about 5 times just to flash the brake lights at her. Then, she finally moved right and blew past me.

Typical driving: Back in Rochester for school, driving is 60 - 70% city
Old 12-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #227 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

AND: OMG- try getting tailgated by a semi on a motorcycle. I remember coming off a steep decline in Pa. called "Boot-Jack Hill"; so steep it has runoffs. When I looked in my mirror all I could see of the semi was the expanded mesh grille material covering his radiator. He was too close for me to even see his vehicle name on the radiator.
Not much I could do there but speed up, pull over and wish I had an extra pair of shorts. Not the time for a brake check on my part! What bothers me the most is, if anything - ANYHTING happened (like the bike sputtering when it ran out of the main fuel supply and needed to be turned on to reserve) I was dead.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:03 PM   #228 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Driving a standard tranny, I've discovered another type of tailgater. The one who pulls right up to my bumper when stopped at a light on an upgrade. My car WILL roll backwards at least a few inches when I take my foot off the brake. I think most drivers of auto trans cars don't consider this at all. I haven't rolled into anyone yet but on a steep hill, it could happen.

I once asked a police officer about this. In a collision, the car in the rear will be the one at fault. Of course that's just a verbal opinion that I got but I like it.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:42 PM   #229 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post

I once asked a police officer about this. In a collision, the car in the rear will be the one at fault. Of course that's just a verbal opinion that I got but I like it.
You may like it but it's not true. If one vehicle is in motion and the other isn't, the one who is moving is the cause of the collision. Makes no difference whether you are going forward or backward (as with those who put the car in reverse mistakenly and hit something).
Old 12-03-2010, 10:48 PM   #230 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
Obviously, this wasn't good enough for her, especially considering I was leaving a good bit of space in front of me, and I wasn't speeding up to go tailgate the next car. She didn't get the picture until I tapped the brakes very lightly and quickly about 5 times just to flash the brake lights at her. Then, she finally moved right and blew past me.
Don't complain about being tailgated if you were in the left lane and had the opportunity to move to the right to let her pass. If she were able to move to the right then you were also able to do so, which would have eliminated the tailgating situation.

Reply  Post New Thread