Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #201 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
I can imagine the menace of a tailgater at night in the middle of BFE Texas as being rather high. I drove to visit an uncle south of Austin once and realized Texas is WAY too friggin huge!

I've experienced tailgating turning to near road rage twice before when I was much less wiser. Once I had a guy waving a gun at me telling me to pull over, and another time, I was trying to push another car off the roadway when he stopped in front of me after he finally passed me legally after several attempts to pass me illegally before. But that was in another time, another place. My only suggestion is, as slowmover hinted at, is to determine the condition of the other driver (intoxicated, woman on cell phone only half paying attention, some punk kid, or a true threat to life and limb) and take actions to remedy the situation. I believe the best solution is to stop on the side of the road and allow them to pass. Most with any sanity will fear a motorist who has suddenly stopped and continue on their way. Trust me, I've parked on a highway before and approached the offending vehicle simply to tell them to back off. They get the idea when you do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #202 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTreeMech View Post
...Once I had a guy waving a gun at me telling me to pull over
After a guy failed to undertake me once in Embra he sat behind me making finger guns - you know the kind you make as a kid aged 5 - at me in he mirror. He also pretended to make a note of my reg number. I just laughed which made him step outside.

I am not brave or physical (I work in a office) but being about 14 st, 6ft and him being about 9st and 5ft kind of ended that argument. Luckily we have strict gun laws so muppets can't legally hold them.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #203 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

RSX2fast4mpg - '02 Acura RSX Type S
90 day: 38.22 mpg (US)

bubbatrucker - '98 Chevrolet K1500
90 day: 18.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
I also notice that several hours past dark is where the likelihood of being tailgated by someone intoxicated or someone absolutely exhausted rises dramatically.
As my defensive tactics firearms instructor said, "If you want to life a long and healthy life, be in bed by 10:00 pm every night. It keeps you out of the dark and dangerous places where liquid courage flows like water." The older I get, the wiser I realize those words were. Obviously sometimes you've gotta do what you've gotta do, but for me, homelife is worth far more than no life.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to endurance For This Useful Post:
jkp1187 (11-10-2010), rdtony (12-03-2010), Weather Spotter (11-08-2010)
Old 11-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #204 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
endurance -

Quote:
Originally Posted by endurance View Post
As my defensive tactics firearms instructor said, "If you want to life a long and healthy life, be in bed by 10:00 pm every night. It keeps you out of the dark and dangerous places where liquid courage flows like water." The older I get, the wiser I realize those words were. Obviously sometimes you've gotta do what you've gotta do, but for me, homelife is worth far more than no life.
Yup, words to live by ...

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 11-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #205 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I used to slow down, or put my flashers on, or put one wheel in the dirt. But this seemed to make them mad. So what I do now is put my signal light on and pull off the road leaving driver wheels on the payment and start to slow down. Then after the line of cars passes I pull back out.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #206 (permalink)
n00b.... sortof..

silver fire - '03 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 32.52 mpg (US)
ShadeTreeMech, your story reminded me of an incident that occurred with my 4 yr old son and I driving down to visit my mother.
we were heading S on I-75 in a pretty heavy thunderstorm (visibility maybe 1/8 mile) in heavy traffic, the right lane had about 20 cars running about 50mph, and myself and 2 cars in front of me driving about 55mph.
this jacka** comes up to my rear traveling at what must have been about 90mph. then I could see him slam on his brakes to avoid rear ending me. (his tail even fished a little) well, as I had 2 cars in front of me and a solid line of cars in the right lane, I had no where to go. the guy is driving super erratically and riding maybe 2' off my rear end, and getting closer then backing off to maybe 4', all this during one of Florida's famous summer torrential rains. finally, I get a spot to the right that I can get over fairly safely, but in order to do it I have to put my brakes on lightly to let him know I was slowing down (I didnt slam them as I truly wished to avoid both an accident or a confrontation with my son with me), put my signal on and got into the rt lane, much closer to both front and rear vehicles than I was comfortable with.
the guy floors his vehicle and comes alongside of me, and points a gun at me. thankfully there was a offramp right there and I took it (I did slam on the brakes pretty hard this time, probably pissing off the person behind me...) and immediately called the state police. gave them a description of the vehicle and part of the license plate. (couldnt get all of it due to the situation) and of course, FHP did nothing that I know of...

Im sort of glad my son was with me, if he wasnt, Im quite sure the entire situation would have degenerated into at the least a physical confrontation, that would have ended with my being left on the road with a bullet...

The Following User Says Thank You to d0sitmatr For This Useful Post:
ShadeTreeMech (11-10-2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 04:11 PM   #207 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0sitmatr View Post
life threatening stuff caused by madman with gun
I'm still very happy we have strict gun laws here in the old world.

(not trying to impose rules on those in other countries, just stating my position...)
Old 11-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #208 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
There is a saying that comes to mind when thinking about strict gun laws.....

when guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

I think having a gun within reach of the driver of a vehicle is not a great idea; better to have pepper spray or a tazer, etc., for the possible car jacking. But a gun is a bad idea when tempers can flare.

I suppose tailgaters wouldn't be as big an issue if I were to get the boattail built

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #209 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTreeMech View Post
when guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
There's no denying that.
But it also makes them stand out more as the bad guys they are.
If only they were punished harder for having or using their guns, all would be well.

Quote:
I think having a gun within reach of the driver of a vehicle is not a great idea;
You always have the car.
They make very powerful weapons if the need really arises.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:47 PM   #210 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
I would rather have all law abiding citizens be trained and carry weapons (weed out the nuts and crooks). Then bad people will fear the good ones.

It will also make the politicians fear the people like they should.

The rational behind the second amendment was to make sure the people could be the last check on the government. We kicked Great Britain out becuase we had guns, I want to be able to do that to Washington DC if needed. I want to reform from within first but if that fails....... a new deceleration of Independence could be written and backed up with hot lead if needed.

Keep honking, I am reloading