Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2008, 10:52 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
I wonder if this would work better than an NRA sticker, since that just asks for road rage...
I don't agree. Just my opinion, but I think bumper stickers of that nature would reduce the potential for road rage, by alerting the potential rager to the fact that there might be consequences. I think the small chance of any response is half of what's responsible for a lot of such incidents - the other half being that there's no other practical way to express one's opinion. That is, if someone's carelessness endangered me, and I had a way to speak to them, they'd sure get an earful (or maybe just a very sarcastic "well, excuse ME!"). But when they're insulated inside a couple tons of steel and glass, what's to do?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-23-2008, 10:59 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdrouille View Post
There's a bumper sticker idea I really liked over at CMPG:

Research Vehicle - Please Pass
I love it!

Quote:
The problem is in the economics of trucking. A lot of these drivers get paid by the mile driven with fuel cost either paid for by the trucking company or a tax write-off. That gives the driver the wrong incentive - go as fast as possible to get the most miles possible.

The $/mile pay is typically so low that, to feed their families, the truckers really need to be running 65 mph+.

As a community, if we are really interested in saving fuel, we should be lobbying for several changes to the trucking laws.
1. Pay truckers on an hourly basis not a per mile basis.
2. Reward reduced fuel costs by paying the trucker a share of any fuel savings from increased FE.
3. Road trains. A semi pulling three trailers in tandem doesn't burn significantly more fuel than a semi pulling a single trailer.
Another problem with the economics of trucking is the law passed that limits them to a certain number of hours driving in a 24 hour period. Not that it is a bad law, it helps keep half asleep truckers parked. But with no other incentives, they try like hell to get as many miles in during their driving period. Around here they drive like they want to run everyone else off the road, but out on the freeway at least Ive seen them slowing down quite a bit. Must be the fuel wasted by going faster more than offsets the mileage lost in their driving period.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver

Last edited by wagonman76; 09-24-2008 at 12:17 PM..
Old 09-23-2008, 11:42 PM   #33 (permalink)
MP$

Send a message via MSN to diesel_john
Smile

on vacation this summer I was passed by more Prius than any other model by far. the majority of prius drive faster than normal for some reason. my car looks so different that the trouble I have is people driving to close to take pics on their cell phones. also the pressure off the front of vehicles passing too close really kills my mileage. I drive the same route every year and I noticed traffic was much lighter and everyone went much slower this year. A lot of people drafting.

Last edited by diesel_john; 09-24-2008 at 10:36 PM..
Old 09-24-2008, 02:44 AM   #34 (permalink)
econ00b

green car - '91 honda civic hb dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Simple. Speed up and stop blocking traffic. If you can't handle driving with the flow of traffic, get off the road. Take the bus. Carpool. What you describe is reckless driving. You should be ashamed of yourself.
The law is on my side, in AZ you can drive 55 on the highway. If you cant figure out a way to pass me in the other 4 lanes maybe you're the one who shouldnt be on the road.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:47 AM   #35 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
ptsmith24 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsmith24 View Post
How does an NRA sticker ask for road rage any more than any other sticker? I do see your point about brakes or washer fluid, though.
The NRA sticker is like being a skunk wearing it's colors, or a coral snake doing the same, i.e. don't tread on me and all that. I'm not a member, so it would be like being a Scarlet King snake for me.

I agree with RH77 on the washer fluid (never done it deliberately). Unless it's raining, it can be *obvious* when it is being used to get someone to back off.

Ha ha, it's still a skunk metaphor, because your car is "spraying".

The "research vehicle" is probably the best. It's non-confrontational and implies you and your car are "working" at the moment, which might make your speed more legitimate in the eyes of the tailgater.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 09-24-2008, 04:21 AM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

De Yaris - '04 toyota yaris T2
90 day: 69.55 mpg (US)
A quick stab of the brakes works wonders for me. Also ignoring them to see how long they stay there. Always gets a laugh! From me...not the tailgater!

ollie
Old 09-24-2008, 05:08 AM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Johnny 5 - '81 Honda Cm400e
90 day: 42.86 mpg (US)

Da bike - '06 Honda Shadow Vlx deluxe
90 day: 59.47 mpg (US)
on my trip to wor i am usually the fast one... doing the speed limit. arg i have both of my mirrors folded and it is all 2 lane roads, so i dont even look back

but on the highway in my other cars, i like to clean my windscreen, but i do hate bugs, so i use my washers often. but i prolong it for tailgators.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:25 AM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

vectra a - '95 Opel Vectra GLS
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
over here big trucks are bound by a 90km/h (thats a hair below 56mph) speedlimit and they also can't overtake on the highway (wich would be difficult at that speed anyway). i think that makes things safer. they also have to cary reflectors on the back wich most trucks do anyway but the joke is, a hummer is so heavy it's classified as a light truck and therefore has to have this reflactor added below the rear bumper and it can't overtake on the highway...or go faster than 90km/h ...lol...

*i can coast for miles and miles and miles*
Old 09-24-2008, 06:36 AM   #39 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
Just get rid of the rear view mirror. It's that simple

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Old 09-24-2008, 08:49 AM   #40 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

El Camrino - '90 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
ptsmith24 -

The NRA sticker is like being a skunk wearing it's colors, or a coral snake doing the same, i.e. don't tread on me and all that. I'm not a member, so it would be like being a Scarlet King snake for me.

I agree with RH77 on the washer fluid (never done it deliberately). Unless it's raining, it can be *obvious* when it is being used to get someone to back off.

Ha ha, it's still a skunk metaphor, because your car is "spraying".

The "research vehicle" is probably the best. It's non-confrontational and implies you and your car are "working" at the moment, which might make your speed more legitimate in the eyes of the tailgater.

CarloSW2
I used to have NRA and GCO stickers on my car, but got rid of them because that could make my car a target in a parking lot for a break-in. I like to know that I'm the only one that knows I'm packing. Until the time is right, no one else really needs to know, for the most part.

Reply  Post New Thread